UNOFFICIAL logo and background poll (large images included)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Pete, Oct 18, 2006.

?

Please select the logos and backgrounds that you like.

Poll closed Nov 1, 2006.
  1. 1 - Current logo

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 2 - Illusory triangle

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3 - SF Molecule

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. 4 - Light S, dark f. Blocky, in box.

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. 5 - Light S, dark f. Curvy, no box.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. 6 - Abstract moon design

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. 7 - scif

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. 8 - Sf solar system

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  9. 9 - Sf with ring

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  10. 10 - Raster eye

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. 11 - MRI head with question

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  12. 12 - MRI head

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  13. 13 - Dark SF in light buzzsaw

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  14. 14 - Psi-forum 1

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  15. 15 - Psi-forum 2

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  16. 16 - Happy primate

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  17. 17 - The Thinker

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  18. 18 - Flasks and beakers

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  19. 19 - Sparkly sf

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  20. 20 - Original logo, in 3D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. 21 - SF in circle

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  22. 22 - Yin-Yang splat

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  23. 23 - Stylized SF

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  24. 24 - SciForums (Intelligent Community) + SF

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  25. 25 - Original logo

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  26. 26 - No logo at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. 27 - None of these logos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. A - Current background

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  29. B - Starfield

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  30. C - Mars

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  31. D - Desert

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  32. E - People

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  33. F - Abstract

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  34. G - Plain color or simple gradient

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  35. H - None of these backgrounds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Meanwhile Banned Banned

God you're a crashing bore anonymous. I wasn't having a "pop" at Superluminal's submission anymore than any of you have pops at each other in the name of topic matter and forum dynamics. Why should design be a non-feedback, off-limits topic except to scratch each other's armpits??? At the very least I gave positive feed back in that I elucidated a design problem: if Superluminal is too lazy to revise and explore his composition further, then that is certainly no fault of mine. By my own words should I be judged? God you're full of it, you know. Had I never listened to art criticism while studying art and design I wouldn't be where I bloody am today. Take that and stuff it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Eh?
    I have no clue what you're saying. Unless you're calling me a longwinded bore...?

But, minimalism with graphics does not equate to minimalism with text. Different categories altogether, don't you know. Although, I do have a liking for what might be considered minimalism in regards to writing. I like simplicity. I dislike obfuscation. But, I don't judge based on quantity or size.

Or. Are you saying something about my liking Superliminal's design and you find it to be nonminimalistic or something?
    I like the dark spaces, actually.
    The earth in shadow.
    The simple sf.
    The only vaguely perceived symbols stretching across the black.
    I don't necessarily care for the choice of symbols. But, the idea is cool.
    Doesn't matter anyhow. The 'default' was chosen.
    It's just a logo anyhow and much better than the alien.

As to your design, I didn't like it because it was a big picture.
    The visual elements of Superliminal's design are understated. The visual elements in yours were the whole damn thing. And the words in yellow and pink...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

I've done more science than you ever have.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Meanwhile Banned Banned

On Oct 27, 2006, at 12:54 AM, SciForums.com wrote:

Dear Meanwhile,,

invert_nexus has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - UNOFFICIAL logo and background poll (large images included) - in the Site Feedback forum of SciForums.com.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=58898&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote---
    Nexus… I thought that one of your reasons for your emphatic rejection of my design was because it wasn't, darn it all, minimalistic enough for your taste. Funny how I seem to invoke in you a reminder of yourself.
    ---End Quote---

Eh?
    I have no clue what you're saying. Unless you're calling me a longwinded bore...?

Huh? Did I, Nexus_Invert, call you a longwinded bore? However, at this point, I may very well be tempted. God. Where were you during the juncture in which I said the above, huh? Short-winded bore perhaps. Yup. Lol. So this has been pinned down your throat 'till now, huh?... now that anonymous rolled up his sleeves immediately after I posted three fuckin' good designs. How bloody. Fuckin'. Predictable.

But, minimalism with graphics does not equate to minimalism with text.

I never said it did. From what hat are you pulling one out of?

Different categories altogether, don't you know.

Like I said, you're now devising an argument against me that I never introduced.

Although, I do have a liking for what might be considered minimalism in regards to writing. I like simplicity. I dislike obfuscation. But, I don't judge based on quantity or size.

Okay. Now we're getting somewhere. Firstly, my shit had nothing to do with trying or not trying to be minimalistic or even trying to be anything in particular. I adopted my default mode of design just to get the damn thing in place, but I was particularly aiming to convey a message. That was the whole bloody point when I posted it. That's how I see Sciforums: clean cut dated kids sitting properly in the vicinity of a more powerful and stern morality.

Yawn.

And I was *not* submitting a design to be *considered* for some stupid contest. I. Was. Having. Fun. That. Evening. It's this forum who pulled me into your fuckin' mind game!

Or. Are you saying something about my liking Superliminal's design and you find it to be nonminimalistic or something?

Try reading my post again Invert_Nexus. Catch the hint.

I like the dark spaces, actually.

What spaces? They're *all* the same! There's really *no* push and pull! No life. Hence no space. Everything is given equal representation. So. What importance or relations do they have with each other? None. Boring.

The earth in shadow.
    The simple sf.
    The only vaguely perceived symbols stretching across the black.
    I don't necessarily care for the choice of symbols. But, the idea is cool.

Doesn't matter anyhow.

God. So then why bother?

The 'default' was chosen.
    It's just a logo anyhow and much better than the alien.

Big shit. Nothing remarkable anyhow.

As to your design, I didn't like it because it was a big picture.

It was the bloody picture I wanted seen, idiot.

The visual elements of Superliminal's design are understated. The visual elements in yours were the whole damn thing. And the words in yellow and pink...

Pink for baby blankets, stupid.

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    SciForums.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    http://www.sciforums.com/subscripti...=140120&auth=ba5266a2330c88ae280c39e06c1dfde7

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
    http://www.sciforums.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all

8. Meanwhile Banned Banned

On Oct 27, 2006, at 2:08 AM, SciForums.com wrote:

Dear Meanwhile,,

Roman has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - UNOFFICIAL logo and background poll (large images included) - in the Site Feedback forum of SciForums.com.

---Quote (Originally by Meanwhile,)---
    Ah. Blue-collar art critic:
    ---End Quote---
    I've done more science than you ever have.

LOL! Too too much!

And I've done more art than you have. </stick out tongue>So there.</stick out tongue>

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    SciForums.com

http://www.sciforums.com/subscripti...=140120&auth=ba5266a2330c88ae280c39e06c1dfde7

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

10. Meanwhile Banned Banned

On Oct 27, 2006, at 3:33 AM, SciForums.com wrote:

Dear Meanwhile,,

Nickelodeon has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - UNOFFICIAL logo and background poll (large images included) - in the Site Feedback forum of SciForums.com.

Yawn
    hypocrite. bet you couldn't resist the urge to sound urbane. But that's just it, isn't it? You only mimic.

All the best,
    SciForums.com

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Zzzzzzz......

12. Meanwhile Banned Banned

oh. roman. forgot. sciencefag. there. feel better?

but remember, if it weren't for this christian democracy, you'd still be milking cows.

13. Meanwhile Banned Banned

you disgust me.

14. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's good to know I am still an inspiration source to many! I like all three.

16. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Some particular types of Abstract. Plain color. Or maybe, just maybe, simple gradient. The current background sucks! Photos are too bad. They don't fit in. They spoil the whole look.

17. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Oh, and I guess the admin just cheated and voted on the "Current background" lots of times...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  18. Meanwhile Banned Banned

whimp. you boggle the mind.

19. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Thanks Spurious. You once said Illustrator was your fav app, right? But you see what I meant by integrating an object with text: the elements of design include -- among other things -- contrast. My third example I think illustrates that well, with the, huh, sloppy script and risqu&eacute; phallus.

20. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Yeah. The roller blade logo, as someone else mentioned. Yet, everything fits well in place -- but just one of those things that feels incredibly... flat.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

However, I suck at this kind of design stuff. Way back when i was in art school (never finished it) the design teacher always said that I have great stuff and ideas in my sketch book. The problem was that I didn't see the ideas he saw in my stuff. I just saw crap.

22. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Usually type and grafix are taught in graphic design, which I also did many years after fine arts, and it helped enormously to be taught by great characters who had and still do no doubt a passion for graphic design. It took me years afterwards to have type and grafix click in my mind: I first had to figure out that type is as much graphics and objects as images are -- even a block of type, which possesses value and density, is an object -- along with empty space. Also, letters have personality, as do objects; that's where one tries to compliment one with the other -- or contrast them totally but *never* half way! -- like the fartsy folks timidly do here. Lol. God. I once had an art teacher who kindly asked me into the hall for a little chat. Once there he slammed me -- slammed me! -- onto a wall and started lecturing me about my being lazy. I was dumbfounded to say the least. But I certainly picked up my shit after that! Lol.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  23. Mmmm, so. It isn't just the people who run into you online who feel the necessity to react to you that way - people in real life do it to, eh?

The lucky, lucky bastards...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!