Unified Field Theory of Modern World Problems....

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Dennis Tate, Mar 11, 2021.

?

Could turning deserts green through mega- scale desalination begin climate cooling????

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Perhaps a little but not economically feasible....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

... founded upon a win - win - win - win - win alternative theory on stabilization of the climate proposed by a New Mexico biologist and coach.

I admit that I am biased... due partly to the fact that the lake that our house is on is classified as tidal water......
    plus... the mathematics of the Bay of Fundy have me asking questions that some others may not have looked at seriously yet.

So here is the theory by Carl Cantrell that really got me thinking since 2007....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I live five kms from the Atlantic Ocean and tidal waters......
    plus... I often drive past Truro, N. S. and as I do so a mathematical problem
    tends to cross my mind.

"If average ocean levels rose by eight to ten cms (3 or 4 inches) could high tide...
    ... rise by one meter in the Isthmus of Chignecto in Nova Scotia, Canada?

This question is logical because the geography of Canada's Bay of Fundy produces the world's highest tides. In my part of Nova Scotia in Guysborough County there is very little funnelling of tidal waters......... so high tide is only about one to one point five meters above low tide.

In the eastern area of the Bay of Fundy high tide levels are up by ten to fifteen meters."

Mega-scale desalination of ocean water in Australia, California, Israel, Jordan, Qatar, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia or in any other nation experiencing shortages of fresh water is really good news for the residents of the town of Truro, N. S., Canada, the City of Monton, New Brunswick, Canada as well as for Anchorage Alaska. Every cubic meter of ocean water desalinated and added to the water table of a nation experiencing water shortage is arguably the lowest cost long term solution to the threat posed by rising ocean levels that will likely be felt first along the Bay of Fundy as well as Anchorage, Alaska.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

So how does all of this connect with the idea of addressing multiple major Modern World Problems simultaneously?

If the Islamic nations embark on a plan to turn major parts of their nations green using Israeli mega-scale desalination technology.....
    it would seem to me that the "Doomesday Clock" could perhaps be moved a minute or two away from midnight?????

Sorek Desalination Plant

river likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Climate change is by the far not the only problem that plagues the world today.

Even before climate change this world was a dystopian hellhole.

There are many other problems, some of them social problems, that humanity need to overcome besides climate change:

1. Corruption in government and alienation of poor people.

2. Men and women who suffer sexually because of their ugly and undesirable physical appearance.

3. The suffering experienced by very poor people (especially males) and also by the homeless.

4. Shortage and scarcity of resources. Whether we like it or not this planet would eventually run out of important resources and then life will be much more difficult especially for poor and vulnerable populations.

5. Excessive hypergamy and degeneracy in society where poor and ugly men cannot get any kind of affection and intimacy from beautiful young women.

Lets face it. Ugly men are destined to lead a life full of loneliness, jealousy, sadness and seclusion and if the ugly male is also very poor then he suffers even much more because we all know that money and also health can compensate for not getting any sex and affection from beautiful women.

So these are some of the worlds problems besides global warming and I'm sure there're many more out there but I'm sure these are the basic ones.

This world is clearly dystopian and scary and I don't understand why so many people even want to live to old age.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ironically there is now evidence that the increase in atmospheric CO2 is already starting to green the deserts, a bit, even without any irrigation: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

There could be a virtuous circle here to exploit.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  9. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

That article is truly encouraging!

Wow!

10. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

Please stop infesting threads with your incel crap.

Seattle, exchemist and DaveC426913 like this.
  11. Bells Staff Member

Well no.

The better option is to address what is causing global warming, thereby reducing its effects.

Also, the amount of water required to counter the threat of rising sea levels would be astronomical and would in itself, pose risk and threat to the environment, not to mention add to global warming..

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-impacts-of-relying-on-desalination/

Dennis Tate likes this.
  12. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

But are the world's deserts acting like something of a furnace for the whole earth?

The Sahara Desert is huge and in the afternoon the sand is over a hundred degrees but is cool by the next morning. Where did the heat go...... obviously higher and higher into the atmosphere.

Many will say that we cannot afford to do something as big as to turn a significant percentage of the world's deserts green but....
    the statistic was given for the worldwide Derivatives markets in 2014 being seven hundred and ten trillion. The USA Derivatives markets were
    two hundred and ten trillion at that time so the possibility comes up that the science of money creation may not be as open and honest as it perhaps should be?

I am hopeful though that a shift over to mostly hydrogen fuel will be coming soon.

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Why did you title this thread Unified Field Theory, when the subject of the thread has nothing at all to do with a field theory of any kind, unified or not?

Seattle and Dennis Tate like this.
  14. Bells Staff Member

No.

Cities, suburbs and roads do more damage. Chop down trees, remove green spaces, replace them with concrete, bricks, roads, etc..

Deserts aren't to blame for global warming.

Umm no.

https://cas.wsu.edu/connect/april-2014/can-deserts-slow-global-warming/

I do not see how destroying vital eco systems acceptable, when so many people refuse to alter their ways which are so damaging to the environment.

What does this have to do with what you were discussing?

Plant more trees. Stop chopping trees down. Increase the number of green spaces in cities. Plant shade trees so they provide shade to roads and buildings. Start looking at things like solar power, wind power as alternatives.

As for hydrogen fuel..

Because pure hydrogen does not occur naturally on Earth in large quantities, it usually requires a primary energy input to produce on an industrial scale.[8] Hydrogen fuel can be produced from methane or by electrolysis of water.[9] As of 2020, the majority of hydrogen (∼95%) is produced from fossil fuels by steam reforming or partial oxidation of methane and coal gasification with only a small quantity by other routes such as biomass gasification or electrolysis of water.[10][2][11]

Steam-methane reforming, the current leading technology for producing hydrogen in large quantities,[12] extracts hydrogen from methane. However, this reaction releases fossil carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide into the atmosphere which are greenhouse gases exogenous to the natural carbon cycle, and thus contribute to climate change.

Seattle and Dennis Tate like this.
  15. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Compare what has been written so far in this discussion to an opening gambit in something of a game of chess.......
    with the many bright people who may be lured into this discussion by the title.......

Was Moses a brilliant economist?

This concept that he is reported to have recorded for all of us seems to have potential...... under our circumstances in
    our time period?!

"And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
    And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." (Genesis 11)

I happen to have liked Mr. Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth" and watched it many times but......
    I felt that he and his best promoters took his ideas and ran with them in such a way as to divide America's political left and right......
    I personally think that there are ways to get across somewhat similar ideas as Mr. Gore"s and / or his professor who taught him the
    foundation for his theories / and use them in such a way that they appeal to America's political right........ to a significantly higher degree than has been done so far!

The alternative theory of turning deserts green to begin at least some parts of stabilization of the climate.....
    could appeal to people who do not laugh when they read certain passages in Isaiah chapter thirty five!

16. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

For the record I do agree with you that cities are a major problem which brings us to the possibility that the students
    and disciples of Thomas Malthus may well have already saved the world from Deplorables like myself by
    convincing the governments of this earth to deliberately make the economies of nations appear to be virtually bankrupt
    on paper!

Although what they did may well deserve some credit......
    based on their circumstances at the time that they taught what they taught.....
    none the less I feel that our situation is now different and I believe humans are ready for
    newer and better theories than:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Robert_Malthus

17. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Canada's Green Party Leader Ms. Elizabeth May campaigned in my region of Nova Scotia, back in 2008.

I sent her a copy of my campaign writing for Municipal Councillor and she replied to me essentially that:
    "Turning deserts green was one part of a full response to climate change." (Ms. Elizabeth May, 2008)

If you are really, really, really bored today... you might find this discussion somewhat intriguing..... .then again maybe not????

"Ignorance shown in my 2008 campaign, my apology to Ms. Elizabeth May!"

18. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

For millennia old white guys like me have been wrestling with the complexities of life in four dimensional space -time and the issue of convincing beautiful young women
    to want to dedicate their lives to listening to our every brilliant pronouncement and cater to our every whim and need right up until the moment that our ability to breathe ceases!

We older white guys have gotten into some pretty diabolical, dastardly, despicable and devious endeavours in our efforts to solve this admittedly
    rather serious issue........ (at least to us older white guys, minimum)?!

I submit that some of our efforts to keep younger women enraptured with our brilliance may well be endangering all life on earth..... to at least some degree????

http://mailstar.net/money.html

19. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Er, take your meds?

Dennis Tate likes this.
  20. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

The atmosphere in the Middle East is changing in several important ways.....

Jumping Jehoshaphat! Have You Seen How Many Israelis Just Visited the U.A.E.?
    We may be witnessing a major realignment of the Middle East.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

By Thomas L. Friedman

Opinion Columnist

• March 2, 2021
    Conservative Jews... conservative Christians and even Muslims can easily be convinced of the value in investing in turning deserts green but a carbon tax would take more than a century to begin to decrease the tendency for ocean levels to rise.

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But Chaim, I thought you said you were in Nova Scotia.

22. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I am in Nova Scotia... but technology that has been developed in Israel
    is related to the solving of problems that we Nova Scotians are facing..... the real estate along the Bay of Fundy is in the position of
    the proverbial "canary in a coal mine" when it comes to the threat posed by rising ocean levels.

The Sahara Forest Project for example was donated by Israel to Norway so that their diplomats and scientists could share that tech with
    several Islamic nations.

https://www.saharaforestproject.com/

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

You mean kill everything and terraform from scratch?
    It's not a question of big-bigger-biggest technology, which requires ever more ever scarcer resources to inmplement and invariably has major oopsies - unplanned, unintended, unforeseen and unfixable-in-the-available-time side-effects.
    It's a question of a sudden switch from global insanity to sensible behaviour.
    Ain't gonna happen.
    So, do ahead - kill the oceans to rain on the trees that can't live in sand anyway.

Dennis Tate likes this.