Trumplicans?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wegs, Jun 9, 2019.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Nothing that dates back to Reagan is new to our culture. 1980 was forty years ago, Death Valley Days was long before that,
    and Trump's reality show roots go back to at least 2004 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(American_TV_series) - which was fifteen years ago.
    Trump is not new. Outside of his unusual vulgarity, he's a standard Reagan Republican politician.
    Cute, but about forty years late. And why would they invent a special name for the standard Republican, 90+% of the Party? They should rather invent a special name for themselves, the feckless fringe.

Trump didn't exactly sneak up on them, after all. They've had forty years since Reagan to look around, near thirty years since Rush Limbaugh became the Party's main intellectual leader and "Majority Maker", and only now do they suddenly notice that their Republican Party is full of Republicans?
    We'll see a lot of that, just as we saw a lot of people disavowing their Republican allegiances after Katrina - they were "Tea Party", see, and W&Cheney weren't real Republicans anyway, and yadda yadda yadda.

You can't blame them for wanting to put some distance between their lifelong political behavior and the consequences of it.

But there's no reason to take them seriously - when it comes down to November 2020, the number who actually vote against Trump - or any other Republican running for office in their region - will be the same rounding error it was in 2016. Dogs return to their vomit.

Trump = Republican, Republican = Trump.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Was talking with a young coworker last night. I told him that he will remember this period as being one of the most interesting of his life.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I had thought that:
    "May you live in interesting times."
    was an Irish blessing
    and then,
    I found out that it was a Chinese curse.
    Oh well...........

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Looking back, every decade has had its own vibe. 60's, 70's. 80's 90's, 2000's...and now, 2010's. And we always made it to the next decade.

sculptor likes this.
  8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I don't know about that. There are Democrats who don't identify with Biden, for example, and really don't want to see him win the nomination. AOC doesn't seems to think he'd be the right choice and she is in his party, so I think that blind allegiance isn't always the case for those who call themselves Repubs or Democrats.

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

For Republicans, it has to be. Since Nixon, they've been systematically eliminating dissent in their ranks. That's how it happened that rivals he insulted the hell out of suddenly lined up to fawn on Trump when he became their candidate. That's why even the ones who eye-witnessed his crimes and cringe at his every asinine tweet won't vote to impeach him.
    The Democrats scratch and bite one another over matters of policy and principle, and break ranks even when they have a majority. If/when you see them line up in nice neat ranks, you'll know there's no difference between parties.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

All I can say, is this doesn't coincide with what I've been hearing out of Repubs on talk shows. If you look at Meghan McCain from The View as an example, she is a Republican and can't stand Trump. This is for personal reasons mainly, as Trump has made some very insulting comments about her dad. But, there are many like her, from what I can tell, albeit they hate Trump for different reasons.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What district does she represent? Or is she a delegate? What's her function in the party?
    As a spokeswoman for whatever her faction is, did she speak up against Trump during the election campaign? As a citizen, did she vote Democrat, or abstain?
    For the upcoming election, is she, or is her anti-Trump faction planning to back an alternative Republican candidate? Who is that other candidate?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

or
    Tulsicrats

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

For the people who have to clean up afterwards, it's going to be a tedious chore. The wreckage of fascism is boring and ugly.
    That's just because Trump insulted her daddy. You can always find a Republican who has been personally injured by one of the Republican Party's ugly initiatives or ugly people - personal injury or benefit is their core criterion for evaluating anything.

Aside from that, she's still a Republican fifteen years after the Iraq War reality broke through the Republican media barrier and became common knowledge - so she has no actual objection to Trump other than personal dislike.

What she's an example of is that Republicans who claim to dislike Trump but have not left Limbaugh's Gingrich's Trump's Party as of about 1994 - 2004 at the latest - are full of shit. Their Party has been for her - and their - entire life a Monster's Ball of bigots, imbeciles, and fundies, its voting base and leadership is and will remain solidly behind Trump until some hurricane plants their face in his mess - same as they were behind W and Reagan and Palin and Bush and Cheney and Pence and McConnell and all the rest -

at which time they will disavow everything they said or did, forget they ever said or did it, and latch unto the next one - the real Republican du jour.

Meanwhile, the smarter ones are once again - as with the "Tea Party" - trying to get ahead of this curve, this incoming disaster, bail out the lifeboats, find a temporary home on the beach of some "not all Republicans" fairyland of excuses, get clear of the wreckage until it has sunk out of sight.

We've seen this before.

Meghan McCain was fine with Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, Jim Inhofe, Ann Coulter, Newt Gingrich, Rupert Murdoch, Roger Ailes, the Koch brothers, Dick Cheney, Fox News, and everybody else. So were all the rest of these suddenly woke "Never Trumpers", for their entire adult lives to date - now, forty years late, Trump is some kind of bridge too far? Bullshit.

Burn the lifeboats. The miserable Meghan McCain can find someplace to work where she isn't undermining everything honest and good about the country that raised her in luxury and privilege, and decent people who know what they are talking about can be paid millions to yak on TV.
    The trend broke downward in 1980.
    "We'll" make it to the next decade, sure - that used to be a joke: this guy falls out of a skyscraper, he's passing the window of the twentieth floor, somebody asks him how he's doing, you know the punchline.

If we are very lucky, the Republican Party will be a punchline in that joke. If we aren't - - - it won't be a joke.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We don't mind up-righting trashcans after one of antifa's protests. It's the medical bills and bodily injury that takes time to recover.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

I suspect Heather Heyer's family would vastly prefer medical bills and bodily injury over what happened to their daughter.

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

James Fields seems to be mentally ill and radicalized by those who would use hyperbolic speech without regard for the consequences.
    tragedy piled on top of tragedy.
    how sad

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Do you think the police would have stopped it if they could?

https://www.tedwheeler.com/

Can we use the same reasoning to explain the actions of antifa?

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I don't know.
    It seems that when people show up for a counter demonstration, they are looking for confrontation.

You're familiar with the forlorn hope?
    many may show up for the battle
    few would lead the charge

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I use to go to the demonstrations to document them on video. I can't do that anymore.

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yes. But police can't be everywhere - and thus I am afraid that right wing extremists will continue to kill.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

I agree. If we can get the right wing to stop their racist and hyperbolic attacks on everyone and everything it would be a start.

22. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

And if the local officials hold back the police, how much worse would the political violence be?

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And you don't mind encouraging the Republican thugs - they do murder.
    The violence from whom? From the police, less. From those otherwise curbed by police presence, more. From those bent on murder, especially the heirs of the Confederacy, significantly more.