Triumph of architecture, or pain in the ....?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Tiassa, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Does art have to represent something?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Usually, yes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Sam im not going to post thousands of these but here are a couple of pics of the flinders ranges (More here)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but you have to rember (like most people who dont live here) that the whole country is NOT the bush or desert. Most of the people live in the cities, some of which are quite beautiful like canbura (if you can avioid steping on pollies) or perth. Even places like the Dandenongs are more like temprate rain forests than desert

look at these pitures, i wont post them because i would have a hard time deciding which i liked most. There is a beautiful aborigional natural art gallery up there amongst the forest. Its all carvings like these shown on the artists wikipedia page (i cant belive he HAS a wikipedia page, wonder what he would think of that if he could see it)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ricketts

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

james i know the sticks are not the origional yellow peril. However thats what they got called when they were first errected (errected being the opritive word

)

Actually we named our scout truck the yellow peril as well because it was sickly yellow and had a tendancy to break down at REALLY bad times

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

You easterners and your weird ideas... What's next, some sort of three dimensional triangle made of glass?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A matter of expectations

Doesn't that have at least a bit to do with one's expectation of representation?

I mean, what does the one yellow thing sticking up across from the red ones represent?

And, hey, remember, I'm someone who adores Mondrian to the point that I was offended when I saw the cover of Silverchair's Young Modern. If their music wasn't bad enough, that album cover should seal it. They haven't earned it. Or something.

But, yeah, anyway, Mondrian. What the hell does this represent?

Piet Mondrian, Composition No. 8
    Oil on canvas
    1939-42

Okay, maybe that's not fair, using a two-dimensional piece in an architecture thread. I'll see what I can come up with.

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

To me, it looks like somebody cut off a grey "Gumby" at the waist while he was in the middle of taking a step.

Sometimes I wonder where architects get their inspiration. There's one building in downtown Dallas that I swear looks like 3 books on a shelf. There's another one that is eerily similar to an old HP pavilion mid-tower computer case.

Here's fuzzy picture I shot from the bus. I kept wondering where they were going to get a windows installation cd big enough.

11. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

That building in the original post is stupendously ugly. It lacks any allusion, wit, or grace, nor does it offer even the vaguest hint that its designer was aware of refined aesthetics. It possesses nothing to nourish cultivated people, nor is it even satisfactorily utilitarian, as others here have pointed out. This is the legacy of post-modernism and its aching, wasteful contrivances. Its defenders ought to be ashamed, if they have the capacity for that sentiment.

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I prefer pragmatic architecture and art, myself. Form should come from function, unless you are simply trying to be artistic, in which case it should not have function outside of aesthetics.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I keep wondering .....should we all like the same things in life? Should there be no variation in our taste in art or architecture or food or clothing?

And, I suppose more to the point, should we all poke fun at or denigrate the likes and dislikes of others ....have no tolerance for their differences?

Baron Max

14. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

tolerance is intolerable...

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, I think tolerance is what people "claim" that the rest of humanity should do, yet they can't do it themselves!

"I think all people should be tolerant of others ....especially those bastards that don't think like me!"

See? I'm lucky though, I hate everyone and everything so tolerance means virtually nothing to me. And it's strictly an accident if I hate some people more than others ...I'm usually an equal-opportunity hater!

Baron Max

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I like it on an abstract level, but they are just copying the West and it's prestige. It's a style of living that's almost obsolete already.

17. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Interesting building, hemmeroids or not--I hope they don't have too many earthquakes there. I bet the people in the nearby buildings are sweating more than a bit at the thought that they're near a building that's much bigger than them and inherently unstable (certainly looks that way anyway, but I wouldn't be an architect's elbow, so what do I know)

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

True art is incomprehensible

Revisiting a theme ....

I forget what it was I was looking up originally yesterday, but I got sidetracked at Television Tropes, including their discussion of the principle that, "True art is incomprehensible". Not that there's much in the article that is specifically relevant insofar as the thread is concerned; the concept is discussed in the context of writing and entertainment production.

Still, though, I am reminded that there is, theoretically, some merit to that. To the other, as the article recalls, there is Crispin Glover's What Is It? and John Boorman's Zardoz as a counterpoint. Yeah, Sean Connery in a red diaper ... I'm sure there's artistic merit to that. Somewhere.

But, yeah. One of my favorite paintings never actually existed as far as I know, but it was day-glo orange tape on a canvas painted dark green. Rabo Karabekian's explanation for the painting, while I haven't the text of the book here, is hilarious. Wikipedia includes a fan-made version; personally, I envisioned a darker green.

Another of my favorite paintings I haven't seen in years. It was at the Hirshhorn in Washington, D.C. Well, as I recall, it was a series of paintings. Several large planks of wood, framed and hung with the knotholes painted white.

(By Lucifer's beard! It's been over twenty years since I've been there ....)

Notes:

Television Tropes. "True Art Is Incomprehensible". TVTropes.org. Accessed April 5, 2009. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrueArtIsIncomprehensible

Wikipedia. "Rabo Karabekian". Wikipedia.com. Accessed April 5, 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabo_Karabekian

19. superstring01 Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.