Training animals

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by snakey, Jul 23, 2022.

1. snakey Registered Senior Member

when Pavlov trained dogs by ringing a bell when feeding them to make their mouths water, what would happen if he stopped doing that?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What's your guess?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

My guess

If the feeding times were on a fixed schedule the dogs would salivate at those times the bell would have rang

For how many days that would have continued - no idea

If the feeding times were haphazard and the bell ringing also the dogs salivate would be haphazard also until the conditioning wore off

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Stopped doing what?
    Stopped ringing and stopped feeding?
    Stopped ringing but still feeding?
    Still ringing but stopped feeding?

8. snakey Registered Senior Member

...stopped ringing...

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Then, when food was given to them, they would eat it.

Is this confusing to you?

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Pavlov actually explored what would happen if he kept ringing the bell, but didn’t give his dogs the food. The dogs at first salivated without food being placed in front of them, but eventually, the dogs stopped responding to the bell when the food stopped coming.

If he stopped using the bell, the conditioned response wouldn’t be triggered. The bell was what created the conditioning more so than the food.

The bell conditioned the dogs to believing or assuming that food would be coming. So, at first without the food being placed in front of them, they’d salivate. It’s interesting to note that we all can become conditioned to responding to certain stimuli, if the follow through or reward is there. Once we realize that the reward is taken away, we won’t react to the stimuli in the same way. (or at all)

Today, when training a dog to respond to certain commands, I’ve read it’s best to not give “treats” randomly outside of training, because the dog is closely relating the treat with following a specific command/routine.

Anyone have a good analogy for human behavior and conditioned responses?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Advertising.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmm, maybe. Online advertisements for sure.

I'm also thinking more along the lines of social media in that if these platforms were to remove all ''positive affirmation'' features such as ''like,'' and other emotive icons - while disabling the ability to ''follow'' anyone, the conditioned response would be a mass exodus for most people who have grown accustomed to the dopamine spike they receive from those features. Sort of like Pavlov removing the food after he rings the bell.

It's to the point on certain media platforms, that many comments feel manufactured in order to receive ''likes,'' not necessarily that the person posting the remark feels that way at all. So, the ''like'' feature is the bell that gets them ''salivating'' ...but if you removed that feature, or if there were nothing but negative responses, the salivating would stop. In fact, FB used to have a ''dislike'' option but people got so upset, they removed it.

James R likes this.
  13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'd think a common one is when your phone beeps or vibrates, you pick your phone up to look at what the notification is, etc.
    PTSD is also a conditioned response, is it not? The person sees/experiences a traumatic event, and is then "triggered" by smells/sounds/sights that cause them to relive that experience in some manner. It's not one that is necessarily conditioned over time, by repeating the same thing over and over again until the link is forged, but in this case that link is forged due to the trauma of possibly just one experience.

wegs likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yesss....so true. PTSD is an excellent example. And the phone's various sounds triggering us almost in an auto-pilot fashion, to pick it up. Good ones, Sarkus!!

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ummm I do not automatically pick up my phone on many occasions

I do have a general ring tone and I look to see who is calling for that. Numbers in the phone show the person or business

Spam calls generally only give 3 rings. I'll put the number through search just to be sure. If not found in my list I add to ?Who Australia, block and report as Spam. Last time I counted ?Who Australia had 56 entries

If I happen to go to call history I notice a few entries 'Spam detected, blocked and reported '

Special ladies have their own ring tone so I don't have to go to the phone to look who the caller is to decide if to answer

That depends on the what we talked about on the previous call

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I say advertising because it involved neutral objects, Pepsi, BMW, etc. and elicits responses that you wouldn't expect from from objects otherwise.

The Pepsi commercials about "The Pepsi Generation" would have you think that Pepsi was somehow related to world peace or something. Luxury car commercials take a mechanical device and somehow elicit feeling of status and maybe even increased odds of being the recipient of sex.

Pavlov's bell has about as much to do with world peace, status, sex as those items.