trademarks

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by leopold, Dec 29, 2014.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

i came across a list of words and phrases trademarked by intel.
    i don't see how they can trademark the following, but they have.
    1. above (no typos, this word is trademarked by intel)
    2. grand challenge.
    3. inboard.
    4. matched.
    5. overdrive.
    6. paragon.
    7. reference point.

by law, you can only use the above when talking about intel products.
    sourced from pentium processor user manual volume 1 1993

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

That is a misconception.

All registered trade marks are registered in respect of nominated classes of goods and services ONLY. There is no way on Earth to stop people using a normal word in a general context. The Trade Mark Office has strict rules for all this. If Pentium has indeed got a granted registration for a word such as "paragon", it will apply only to the classes of use associated with their business.

Actually you can do a search for them here (for the USA): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4803:jy0v1e.1.1

and here is one result on paragon: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:oaez7d.3.47 which illustrates what I mean. In this case the mark applies to "outdoor furniture".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

Exchemist is correct.

Apple Trademark List

words on the list include apple, aqua, bonjour, boot camp, carbon, chicago...

The list includes what aspect the word was trademarked for. "Chicago" is a computer font. As long as I don't make a new font and call it Chicago, no trademark infringement.

wiki: Apple Corps vs Apple Computers

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

OK I see what they've done. It's a try-on. None of these are registered trade marks at all! In the US, registered trade marks have the symbol ® . Intel in this case is simply using the "™" designation to assert a common law claim to the mark. In reality, any attempt to enforce a monopoly on the use of these words would only stand a chance of succeeding, in common law, in the strict context of their line of commerce.

In the UK, we have a law against "passing off" , whereby nobody is allowed to offer goods or services marked in such a way as to make purchasers likely to think they are someone else's. This is irrespective of whether any relevant registered trade marks are involved or not. It would apply, for example, to Korean car headlights marked "HALLO" in a ellipse, which are intended to look like the well known brand of German headlights from HELLA (this was an instance I was involved in myself, many years ago). In the US I am not sure whether they have a "passing off" law. If they do not, this "™" mallarkey may be designed to give Intel some similar form of protection. But I'm guessing - I left the intellectual property business when I was in my twenties and joined the oil industry instead

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But rest assured, nobody is going to win a lawsuit to stop you saying "above" or "paragon in everyday usage.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Even if your legal name is Joe Apple, you can't have a store called "Apple Computers". However, you might get away with "Apple Furniture". "Apple Hardware" would be iffy.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Apple Computation Engines

On another subject is Dead Maus vs Disney due to "Mickey Mouse". Just because he happens to wear a mask that looks a little like a mickey precursor.