Topless Women March for Right to Go Topless

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 5, 2010.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

A group of women marched from Longfellow Square to Tommy's Park in Portland to "call attention to the double standard in society's attitudes toward male and female nudity."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The result? They attracted a huge crowd of males with cameras who followed them, took pictures, and oogled them the whole time.
    The women, preceded and followed by several hundred boisterous and mostly male onlookers, many of them carrying cameras..
    This angered the event organizer:
    Ty McDowell, who organized the march, said she was "enraged" by the turnout of men attracted to the demonstration. The purpose, she said, was for society to have the same reaction to a woman walking around topless as it does to men without shirts on.
    So you organize an event featuring a bunch of topless women and are "enraged" that men show up to enjoy the show?
    http://www.pressherald.com/news/Women-march-topless-in-Portland-without-incident.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Good luck to them but I think they must have very little to do if they are fighting for this 'right'. I mean with all the really pressing issues there are that affect everyones life going topless isn't at the top of the list.

There are double standards and there will always be double standards. Some of which exist for a reason.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

When I had vacation in Spain in one summer, almost everyone on the beach (at Girona) was topless. As a matter of fact, some guys were fully nude and it it wasn't even a nude beach.

Here in Germany, during various carnival times, for example in Köln, you can find many women walking topless even in train stations. On normal day in summer, topless women can also be found having sun bath on the Rhein river bank.

p.s.: nope, I never went topless in public. I still hold my Asian culture.

p.p.s.: except in women's shower room in public swimming pool, coz the shower room has no partition. Also, there are no men there, so I bath with no clothes like other people.

Additional edit: if you ever enter Esprit factory outlet such as those in Düsseldorf, Germany, during summer, you can find many men and women going topless, because during summer (especially on special offers periods) it was always full, fitting rooms are full as well, so people try clothes not in fitting room. They don't care if they happen to wear no bra, and no one is going to shot them with camera either.

Additional edit again: in Germany, above 11 PM, you can see 2-3 TV stations displaying naked women everyday (and no, I have no cable). It lasts until morning. Not that I watched them, but sometimes I stayed up late working on something and turned on the TV as well.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's legal in NYC too. Obviously, they have some work ahead of them, I wish them well.

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Uh-huh... Sure...

j/k

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I think it should be legal, too.

They should just do it in their daily lives. Just do it as if it were totally normal.

I would go topless, but 32Ds whirling around tend to make your movements awkward.

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

Too true...
    I find this silly and to be a no-brainer.

I'm very conservative in how I dress. I do not expect this of others but I also don't feel much need to be confronted with sudden nudity out in public.

I can always avert my eyes. But at the same time, I am disgruntled at having been made to.

These women could find more progressive ways of examining human behavior without flinging their mammaries in everyones faces.

11. kira Valued Senior Member

Huh?

I turned on the TV (TV and bed are behind my back, but in front of me I put a mirror, so I can watch the TV as well from the mirror while working). I keep turning the TV on to improve my listening to German vocabularies. I hear news, read the headlines, watch the weather forecast, etc. When it plays music program, I switch the channel, and then ooooppss.. there, there, topless women are doing sport or massage each other or giving quiz with terribly easy answers. Once I tried to watch it, coz I though I can answer the questions (and who knows I got the 1000 Euro or 5000 Euro prize as well), but as I sent the answer through sms, I never won anything even when my answers were proven to be correct, so I gave up watching the boring program and switch to other news

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They would make my movements awkward too.

13. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

I fully support this movement.

Pant, pant.

14. kira Valued Senior Member

So, Americans are apparently still quite conservative. As an Asian, I find this a little bit surprising.

In my home country, Indonesia, you can find topless men/women on the beach, but only foreigners. You won't find local people go topless or nude, but they don't disturb the tourists as well.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Seeing 32Ds whirling around would have a similar effect on those around you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2VLmCPTbQ

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Was that innuendo or just a comment on how I'd be likely to crash into people with my tits whirling about???

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It was a reference to the fact that men crash into things and become stupider when distracted by the preety ladies. (And no way are you 32D)

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I am. I'm somewhat harsh and wiry (body fat level is less than 16%) but somehow my body manages to maintain a fucking moloch set of boobs. Oh well, they're useful...lots of fat reserves there...

19. Doreen Valued Senior Member

So one should only demonstrate for the most important issue and nothing else?

Anyway, the issue is not simply women being free to be topless, it's the underlying ideas about what women are and men are not and what men are and women are not that the standard reinforces.

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

perhaps they were naive about what would happen, but I can understand their anger. If the vibe was
    Hey, look tits, ooooh
    and that's it.
    Well, that's pretty stupid. If it was a bunch of 14 year old well, of course.

21. Doreen Valued Senior Member

You'd think by now that we've sexualized and objectified men's bodies enough to remove the double standard. Europeans are much more blase about the female breast.

22. Neverfly Banned Banned

Who cares?
    Why don't we all just run around naked ALL THE TIME then?

It is not MENS FAULT that women cover their breasts. It might be mens fault when women Uncover them.

The whole demonstration was poorly executed and absurd.
    They ran around flashing what is normally not seen and then got upset when people reacted to their unusual behavior.
    DUH!

It's reverse sexism is all it is. A way of blaming men for yet something else absurd.

23. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

women can go topless as long as they wear at least stickers over their nipples. It always seemed weird to me that the entire body of the breast can be exposed as long as the nipple is covered, is it only the nipple that is sexually stimulating? Why can't the nipple be seen? The equal rights to bare one's nipples is what the women should be fighting for, kind of makes you realize how dumb the double standard is in the first place.