Topics for things that shouldn't still exist

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by floor13avenger, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Pinwheel Banned Banned

The problem I have with blogs (though not something that keeps me up at night) is that most people only have a few things to say thats insightful, unique, or interesting. So they may write 100 entries and only 2 or 3 are worth reading (usually stumbled on via Google). Rarely, if ever, have I ever found a person to be consistnety interesting enough to read their blog entry after entry. And the more entries there are the more dross to trawl through to find gems.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. floor13avenger Registered Member

phlogistician: Speaking of forum elitism... I'm sorry that I only have 12 posts, I guess that makes what I have to say less important than, say, what someone with 8,000+ posts writes. And I merely asked ophiolite to go to another thread if he doesn't like me or the topic I've started. I did laugh picturing you saying the last sentence you wrote with "you" in all caps.

I love how all I'm asking is for people to either discuss my proposed topic, or just not (if they are disinterested), but instead I get all this crap. It really does make you guys mad that I won't bow down to your elitism, doesn't it? Yes, I'm new to the forum and I'm going to hold a discussion. What are you going to do about it other than get outraged and pelt me with poor arguments?

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.... (though it will probably be interrupted yet again with people upset at me for no good reason).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

It just depends on your content. So far all you seem to have done is come here to pick people's brains so you can pass it off as your own ideas on your blog.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

I don't get blogging either. I have my own life, I don't need to follow someone else's.

But clearly, coming up with enough interesting material is hard, hence the brain eater who has appeared.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Breaking news: the only place my observations were deflated were in your mind.

Further update: as an approximation I offered in one post more suggestions than the rest of the posters put together. You seem to have overlooked that.

I have no fiefdom, so there was nothing for you to disturb. you wondered why you had received only trite responses to your requerst. I offered you some helpful insight as to the reason, accompanied by a small warning. You chose to ignore this. Not too bright, are you?

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. Probably should eliminate Men At Work at the same time.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Lots of meta-discussion here, but little discussion. Time to close the thread yet?

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I don't see why we're all ganging up on the new guy who is looking for ideas- I come to this forum for new ideas and every time I post I am posting my free thought to the masses for dissemination in the hopes it produces a higher logic. So what if he blogs and so what if he is here to use our ideas to fuel them- I use all of you folks' ideas to be a better person so we're all users here.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Here's the thing I don't understand, the need to over moderate.

So what if the thread isn't exactly top quality. Let people talk bollocks if they want to. Unless of course SF is having financial probs and can't afford the bandwidth or storage space?

13. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Things that shouldn't still exist:

"cyber-bullying"

14. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Your post is so passive aggressive it makes me nauseas. I don't want to read your lame complaints. Detach your identity from this thread, and let us contemplate the OP in peace please.

15. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I think complaining is cyclic. If there is something the complainer is unsatisfied with, and they have 2 choices - change or don't change it. Now if you can't change it you have to learn to change your attitude.

16. floor13avenger Registered Member

jmpet and Search & Destroy: Thanks for your comments and support. All I want is a simple discussion, but ophiolite and phlogistician just won't seem to allow it. It means a lot to me that there are people in this forum willing to stick up for the new guy. Really, it's rather funny how mad ophiolite and phlogistician are just at my pointing out a few things about their comments... You can tell when people are mad because they won't let something go, even in a thread that clearly doesn't interest them.

I think my latest idea for things that shouldn't still exist is online arrogance. No doubt I've been subjected to a healthy dose of that in these discussions.

17. Pinwheel Banned Banned

JamesR, close the thread!!!!

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Only in response to your own arrogance in thinking it was reasonable to ask for input with no offer of reciprocation.

I've explained my reasons in several earlier posts. From my minimal awareness of your engagement in the forum you look for ideas, but you also post ideas. You discuss. You contribute. You do not take ideas and walk away, while simultaneously promoting your own site.

19. floor13avenger Registered Member

Who would have thought I'd run into a fanatic on a science-based forum? Ophiolite: you really have yourself convinced that your supposed rules of conduct in a forum are the Holy Grail and there's no other opinions on the matter. Good thing this forum has its own rules and they allow me to join and immediately ask a question. Oooooooh a question, what a terrible thing for me to do! And I don't even have 1,000s of posts yet! Of all the nerve... Why that's almost as bad as constantly disrupting someone's thread to push a losing argument over and over again. If you don't like the rules of this forum, why don't you start your own? Then you can write out your fanatical manifesto and enforce it with a facist's fervency.

Another thing that shouldn't still exist: people who think it's unreasonable to ask a discussion provoking question in a forum.

And another thing that shouldn't still exist: people who push their ideals upon others, despite the entire spectrum of opinion. By the way, thanks again to jmpet and search and destroy for helping me to illustrate this one concerning others in the forum.

And yet another thing that shouldn't still exist: people who can't admit when they're wrong and have clearly been out-argued and outwitted, but instead just get really mad and keep going on about it.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

They are not my rules of conduct. They are unwritten rules that I observed to exist on this and several other fora. When I began posting I did so after a period of lurking. I observed the behaviour range of other posters. I saw what was acceptable, what was frowned upon and what was beyond the pale. I watched and I learned. I have taken the trouble to share some of that knowledge with you. Sharing knowledge is one of the principal reasons I frequent such fora. You wish to tell me that is fanatical behaviour.

Sadly, you are the one who is in error here. You are the one who has not taken the time to get to know the forum or the rules, written and unwritten. You have waltzed in with a cocky attitude not to ask a disucssion provoking forum, but to solicit ideas for your blog. I am saddened that you cannot see the hypocrisy of this approach. And yes, the operative word is saddened, not mad.

As the old saying goes, if I valued your opinion I would be offended. Fortunately there is an ignore button. If you are still here in a year - which I doubt - you can apologise then.

21. floor13avenger Registered Member

I love how the point of ophiolite's diatribe is: conform like me.

That gives me another great topic for things that shouldn't still exist: conformists!

22. John99 Banned Banned

Well theyre gonna exist and there aint nothin we can do about that. Either we play the game or we dont. Not playing the game leaves you with what?

Close your hand, turn it over for ten seconds, turn it back over and open it up. What do you see? NOTHING.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Who's overmoderating?

The only moderation that has taken place here is redirecting about 3 extraneous copies of this thread in other subforums to this one. We have a policy against allowing cross-posting. Do you disagree with that?

Be my guest. On with the bollocks!