Tomb of Jesus & James Cameron

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Syzygys, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: If the data could be proven beyond all doubt to be authentic, then I would reconsider my stance, but I don't believe there is any possible way to prove those are the real bones of Jesus and family. There is just way too much evidence to the contrary. I believe Jesus will always be an astro-theological myth.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Medicine*Woman:

Surely 600 to 1 odds are beyond a reasonable doubt to doubt?

Again: If everything shows to be as legit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. -=T=- Registered Senior Member

The 600 to 1 figure was cited before they added in the "missing" ossuary of James as possibly coming from the same tomb (which was supported by the patina comparison). The extent of the "forgery" of the James ossuary was possibly ONLY the redaction of "Brother of Yeshuah" to the inscription.

It's funny... last time I posted on this forum, MW woulda been all over this as supporting her (then) view of MM as Jesus' wife, as well as the Mara Mariamne ("Master" Mary) inscription-- which tied in neatly with the Acts of Phillip. :bugeye:

Lots of interesting data points, though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Never found any, other than the bible. But even so, would you not agree he would have to be one of the most intelligent humans alive

8. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I have to admit, there is an amazing amount of supporting data. What cautions me is that this movie had the exact same feel as those Internet movies that "prove" the US government was responsible for 9/11. Or that JFK and Lincoln have uncanny similarities. You know what I mean? There are all of these interesting tidbits that all seem to point in one direction, but maybe its because the people involved were only looking in one direction.

I'm going to remain impressed with the work so far (I really enjoyed watching the show and debate), but withhold my opinion until more researchers have weighed in.

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

"600 to 1 Cameron," what a bozo, c'mon you guys, Cameron says the odds are overwhelming that those are Jesus' bones, so why don't you take out some full page ads saying:

"Christianity is Dead, We have His Bones."

C'mon you guys, "the odds are 600 to 1" that you'd be right, how can you go wrong?

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: No, that's not reasonable doubt to me. James Cameron is hyping his upcoming film. BTW, why would Jesus, MM and Family be buried in Jerusalem. When MM's parts are allegedly found all over France? I used to believe that MM existed, but I came to realize she is a myth as well.

James Cameron has been duped as well.

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

RickyH Certainly charismatic and crafty. He knew how to work a crowd. I suppose there'd have to be a generous amount of intelligence to pull it all off.

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Thank you for remembering me! You are so right! I would have promoted my then belief that MM and Jesus were married and had kids, but not now. I was disappointed when I realized they couldn't have existed. They were such a colorful and intriguing couple. It made sense to me at the time that their story could bring down the RCC, but that's not what's going to kill the beast. None of the characters existed, so there is really no foundation for the church.

I believe this is the secret 'treasure' of Rennes-le-Chateau. There are no bones to be found anywhere.

13. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

What would lead you to that conclusion?

14. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Might I suggest you have a look at this link :

http://www.bibleinterp.com/commentary/gandy_011701.htm

I purchased the book and believe its got an extremely strong case.

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Thanks for the link. I purchased that book several years ago (when it first came out). Interesting read.

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I've read it. It was one of the few books I owned that didn't get destroyed by the flooding we had.

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the book's info didnt sit very well with me, but i thought it gave an interesting light to some of the new testament scriptures.

19. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Medicine*Woman:

MM in France seems more like a medieval romance than a reality. Whereas Jerusalem jives with where she she lived.

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Yes, you are right. It does sound more like a midieval romance, but was MM associated with Jerusalem? There are no stories nor myths about MM in Jerusalem, but there are many that she ended up in France.

21. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I had read long ago that she became known as Eleanor of Aquitaine (sp?) in France. Or is that someone else?

22. -=T=- Registered Senior Member

Dunno about MM's French "parts", but the Cameron flick did mention that the Acts of Philip tells of MM's eventual return to Jerusalem.

Of course myth can be born of reality...
    I can easily envision Jesus (and his Rabbi wife) as primarily political radicals/sect leaders who came from a "regular" family. All the supernatural stuff could easily have been tacked on after the facts. Messiahs were a dime a dozen back then. People were looking for ways to escape religious as well as political oppression. Jesus and crew easily fit the bill, but the movement needed a little extra "oomph".

Some folks are discounting the tomb on the basis that Jesus was a pauper, and wouldn't have been buried in a "middle-class" tomb. Well, it would seem to me that Jesus' family could've been more towards the middle class... Joseph was a craftsman... Jesus had benefactors that helped him fund his road trips, etc.

I still have huge problems with the historicity of Jesus because of ridiculously scant evidence, but I really do find this latest stuff fascinating.

I find it amusing that the film seems to inspire scoffing from BOTH sides. It seems that the only christians that have problems with the possible existence of Jesus' bones, are the literalists (which are the most dangerous kind).

I *do* think that the filmmakers could've gone a little farther-- more DNA comparisons would definitely have strengthened their case.

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Interesting theory... but wrong time. EofA existed in the 1500s. She was married to Henry VIII and was beheaded, I believe. That was about 1500 years after MM.