To the people who think Rap is ignorant.

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Blackrain, Aug 4, 2005.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Here's a song from one of the most intelligent men in music history (Canibus.)

Really? Let's check out some of his other lyrics from the website and see what intelligence wrought in rap, or is it the other way round? I never could tell.

Yeah, he's geniousness and geniousity made flesh.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blackrain Registered Senior Member

People like outlandish hate rap becuase they're uncordinated bafoons who lack rhythm. There's so much hate for Rap because it's done by Black Men. That's why you have a multitude of white men (who can't dance) continually bash rap. White Girls like to dance to Rap music, and the ones who can't dance feel so in-adequate the only they can do is hate it. Rap/Hip-Hop is the same fucking thing Einstein.

Rap music dominates the music awards and grammys year after year. Get use to it, because it's only growing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blackrain Registered Senior Member

Here's how you can tell. His first album sold over a million copies. How many albums have you sold? He worked as computer analyst for the DOD before joining the army and being deployed to Iraq, and he made it back alive. Can you say the same thing?

You're ignorant, you picked the most simplistic versus you could find. How come you didn't see this verse.

"My epithilia Genetic Fiber, was forged in a protoplasmic fire in a black geyser"

But this is why the music you listen to fails to dominate the music charts. Because it only reaches one segment of the population. While rap reaches all segments of the population.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

So does religion, kiddo. Opiate of the motherfucking masses.

Relax.

You know, speaking of dance music, Happy Hardcore has got to be the most popular. And you know what? It sucks. It's got a bass-beat, a melody, and it's mildly catchy. And they pump it out, no problem. Easy to make.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Here's how you can tell. His first album sold over a million copies. How many albums have you sold?

None, so what? There are another million people who couldn't tell good music from bad if their lives depended on it. Actually, there are millions.

He worked as computer analyst for the DOD before joining the army and being deployed to Iraq, and he made it back alive. Can you say the same thing?

Again, so what? Did his tour of duty in Iraq some how make him a good songwriter? No.

There's so much hate for Rap because it's done by Black Men.

Pathetically weak argument. I have dozens of black artists in my collection, because they produce quality music, just like the other artists in my collection.

YOU are racist.

That's why you have a multitude of white men (who can't dance) continually bash rap. White Girls like to dance to Rap music, and the ones who can't dance feel so in-adequate the only they can do is hate it.

More incredibly stupid remarks. Did your intelligence spawn from rap? It shows.

Rap music dominates the music awards and grammys year after year. Get use to it, because it's only growing

Yeah, like I said, crap is king. And rap will be just another childish fad soon to be forgotten.

You're ignorant, you picked the most simplistic versus you could find. How come you didn't see tahis verse.

"My epithilia Genetic Fiber, was forged in a protoplasmic fire in a black geyser"

You don't get it, do you? ALL the lyrics are equally bad. This gut cannot write, that is a fact.

But this is why the music you listen to fails to dominate the music charts. Because it only reaches one segment of the population. While rap reaches all segments of the population.

Most likely the reason why you're SO wrong with that statement is that you have incredibly bad taste in music and probably don't listen to anything else.

Your arguments are straw men that do not support your argument. Listening to rap music has addled your brain, yo!

9. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

I'm not impressed by any lyrics out of rap. Then again, almost all of rock and popular culture as well does not impress me. Rap is just the simplest version of popular culture, and even if it were Nordic I'd think it was untermenschisch.

10. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

There has been no proof as of yet that has shown rap is more complex than any other literary form. With this in perspective, I guess any arguments are pointless until some other "proof" is presented.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Another pathetic thread against rap music.
    People that know nothing try and try to say alot against rap.
    But all in all, the only crap around here is their own ignorance.

12. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

Another pathetic post against those who dislike rap for there own reasons with no purpose behind it and no argument supported.

13. panopticon707 Panopticon Registered Senior Member

LOL

If you think Pink Floyd is really deep, or complicated or something...

well, that's funny to me.

How come people keep attacking rap for not being complex enough? If I want my music to be complex, I'll go listen to baroque music or something. Bringing complexity to an argument about popular music is just a joke.

14. panopticon707 Panopticon Registered Senior Member

Man, Arqy, you are on a roll. You're holding up "American Pie" as a an example of music that is incredibly deep? What are you, fourteen?

And I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend and grandmother. But maybe your grandmother shouldn't have been running from the police in the first place.

15. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Your comprehension is a little off. He meant that the person who killed his grandmother (in a fictional situation or otherwise) was running from the police, not that his grandma was on the run.

16. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

The complexity of music is found in its meaning, the message it sends. How many Rap artists write songs with deep meanings, like the decline of good music or the total degradation of mankind? Answer:Very few, and the most severly lacking is what is popular. Come on. You can't tell me Pink Floyd or Don McLean didn't have deep music, as well as so many other decent artists. "Paint It, Black" and "Ruby Tuesday" by the Rolling Stones, "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles, and "Fortunate Son" by CCR are a couple more, but there are far far more than that.

17. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

blackrain, sorry, but that song isnt good.
    dont get me wrong, im not saying it's bad either.
    i dont feel any desire to find that song and listen to it now, but i doubt it would be painful to listen to

"How come people keep attacking rap for not being complex enough? If I want my music to be complex, I'll go listen to baroque music or something. Bringing complexity to an argument about popular music is just a joke."

jazz, classical, funk, blues have all been, or are incredibly popular, and they are so complex compared to rap that it isn't even fair to compare them

so, out of curiousity. what draws you to rap over baroque?

18. panopticon707 Panopticon Registered Senior Member

Idle Mind: Yeah, no sh*t.

Arquibus: No offense, but I always thought that Pink FLoyd was pretty shallow. I actually like them a lot, but the lyrics (which seems to be where you are deriving the "meaning" you are talking about) have always been a sore point for me. But point taken, a lot of hip hop lyrics seem to be intentionally ignorant and hedonistic. This is just a theory, but I think that's because that is what sells, especially to white people. Even old gangsta rap isn't as bad as today's in that respect. Tracks like Ice Cube's "Dead Homiez" were lyrically brilliant potrayals of inner city life. Today's G-Unit stuff is a result of artists consciously escalating the gangster image and selling it back to the next generation so that it just gets more and more ludricrous, until 50 Cent is rapping about firing night-vision enhanced bazookas or whatever. I'm not crazy about the lyrics, but hip-hop songs offer a lot more than that. A bunch of great Beatles songs have lyrics that are just bland love songs.

Alain: I think that we are using different definitions of "pop music." The definition I was using was the genre definition, which is characterized by simple catchy melodies with mass appeal. Music, in my mind, can be "popular" without being "pop." If pop music becomes complicated it loses that appeal and becomes something else. That's why I said that complexity is not a legitimate criticism to level at pop music, as its simplicity is its strength.

And as for why rap over baroque, I dunno. Rap just seems more vital than baroque, which can sound mechanized to me.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Another idiot tries and tries, but cannot comprehend. This is not a fad. This is the future. Live in the past because you are a primitive minded moron.

20. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

cool skill, this was a thread praising rap, not "Another pathetic thread against rap music"

rap is not the future, i suppose it is fair enough to say that it is the present, but, tastes constantly change. your children will refuse to listen to the same music as you. they will like something completely different.

21. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

i have a respect for good rap, rap that is actually modern-day poetry. I don't listen to it often, no more than i purposely go to museums to look at paintings, but i respect it as art.

But there is "pop" rap that's... stupid. I'm sure everyone can name at least a few examples. P.I.M.P. tops the list.

22. Nightshade077 Registered Member

Idiocy, if you feel the need to harrass the people behind their opinions personally, then you're the only primitive minded moron, still living back in the dark ages with rocks and ****ing sticks.

I'm not saying that all rap is crap but frankly rap sets a bad standard as your 'most complex literary art'..
    Nothing lasts forever, another type of music may rise up and take over. So just enjoy what you have and let people think what they think.

23. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

i agree, disco was supposed to be the music of the future in it's day

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wonder how classical stays alove though...