To monotheists: Put yourself in our shoes

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by greenberg, Dec 3, 2007.

1. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Therein lies the problem with taking ANY religions' literal interpretation of God seriously. As a God believer I don't. I understand the comparison LG was making with the water but it does not address the differences in religous idealogies and dogma that tend to be unfortunately too specific,different and varying from one another. The common themes that these religions share is often lost in people dwelling on little details that really don't matter at all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

And what when it comes to God?
    How is one to know whether they have "taken" God, "drunk" him and discern whether they are still "thirsty"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

do you know anyone who does any different?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I don't know for sure what your religion is. You seem to be inclined to ISKCON, right?

In comparison to mainstream arguments of proselytizing Christians, your arguments come totally from the left field.

Taking into account karma and the conception of many lives (rebirth or reincarnation), believing in God becomes something completely different than it is in Christianity.
    In short - Krishna is relatively easy to believe in, Jehowah is not.

But how can I know who is right, Krishna followers or Jehowah followers?

I find it is the worst case scenario that I need to prepare for the most.
    The worst case scenario is that Jehowah followers are right.

8. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I don't know. I allow for the possibility that (a version of) Calvinism is true. Ie. meaning that God himself decides whom to bestow with faith and that thus only the elect know God, while others are left in agony and meant to perish.

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Why not have an addition alternative:

The Humanists tell him: Free your mind from the shackles of delusion, the slavery of ignorance and the oppression of cults! Holy scriptures are myths and superstitions!

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

greenberg,

It is a good organisation with regard to distribution of spiritual knowledge.

My arguments are based on common-sense, and scriptures, not religions.

Which is why I would not look to religious institutes (necessarily) for insights to understanding, or answers to the obvious questions.

Then believe in Krishna.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What do you regard as "right", and how did you arrive at this position?
    I suggest you start by using that mechanism.

What scenario is that?

Jan.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh, is that your belief?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What is truth?

13. draqon Banned Banned

...and relative to what? :bugeye: General relativity applied to religion wise ... the truth will be different for every observer since there is no universal truth...

Go figure...and morality are just laws that help in truth seeking. Oh boy...oh boy...

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Exactement, mon cheri.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why?

16. draqon Banned Banned

why what? And to whom is this why directed?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why, according to you lot, is there no objective reality ?

18. draqon Banned Banned

yes Enmos...I just came from a class of physics on general relativity and my whole world has changed! I mean physics of general relativity state basically that there is no exact coordinate...everything is relative to everything else...and every idea constitutes a relation to something else and everyone will have a different relative experience and idea to everything else...therefore their truth will be their truth only and other's truth will be false for them but their own truth which they define relative to what they chose to define it by. Objective reality to you is different objective reality to me but neverthless it is the true or "truth" to you...but not to me.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, you are talking about subjective reality. Objective reality is the same for everyone/thing whether one knows it or not.

20. draqon Banned Banned

well than ... to you objective reality exists and is different objective reality than mine is. There is no out of the system reference reality to judge upon the objectivity of the reality...and thus objective reality truly in a sense does not exist. However it does seem to us that it exists...but to each own it is a subjective reality.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

to you objective reality exists and is different objective reality than mine is

What you describe here is something subjective.
    If the same thing is different for me than it is for you it is subjective.

22. draqon Banned Banned

Think of it as this...it is an illusion to us that exists of objective reality...yet we each have their own subjective realities.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Draqon, the very existence of illusion predicts objective reality.

Indeed we each have our own subjective realities. But behind all that there is an objective reality.