To monotheists: Put yourself in our shoes

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by greenberg, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Investigate the claims and embrace what He wills to embrace and reject what He wills to reject.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

You yourself are a living example of being completely unable to put yourself in the shoes of those who are not sure about God.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

actually you never did really clarify what you were trying to get at with the whole placing in someone else's shoes business

how can you determine whether one is placing themselves in someone else's shoes properly?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adstar Valued Senior Member

The whole question who among the Christians, jews , muslims and varying denominations believe in the God of Abraham is irrelevant.

The important question is who is promoting the Will of God and who is promoting a false view of the will of God.

If there is a God (and there is) and He has a will for mankind (and He does) then going around telling people lies about His will is a very serious thing indeed. That’s why there are such serious discussions between people who claim to promote the will of God but who promote differing views.

8. draqon Banned Banned

but the "truth" is only one. That fear that I might be on the wrong path...keeps me astray from understand life fully.

9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Very wrong. I came to God by seeking. People like you have no idea because you talk like you think people are born Christians. Like when they come out of their mothers womb some invisible angel puts a believer stamp on their heads or something.

So try to put yourself in our shoes for once. And stop talking such emotional rubbish as you are putting forward now here.

Yeah seeking God is tough, so get on with it and stop moaning like a spoilt child. Do you think that the most important thing in life would be easy?

10. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

And how is someone who does not know the will of God (like me and many other people) supposed to know

whether someone - like you, Photizo, Till Eulenspiegel, Catholics, Calvinists, etc. -
    is promoting the Will of God and who is promoting a false view of the will of God?

I don't know the Will of God. How can I know whether you, Photizo, Till Eulenspiegel, Catholics, Calvinists, etc., actually do know the Will of God?

You all claim you do. You also tend to claim the other is wrong.

11. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

What if someone came to you and said they believe in God?
    What if someone went around "spreading the Gospel"?
    What if someone would tell you that your belief in God is the wrong one and that theirs is the right one?

Would you believe them?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what if someone came to you and said "this is water"?
    What if someone went around educating other people about certain ways water can be used?
    What if someone would tell you that what you are using as water is wrong and that what they are using is right?

IOW god, like water, has objective qualities (like all "things" have objective qualities - if a person is not familiar with these qualities, there is no end to doubt and uncertainty)

13. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Listen, investigate and make your decision. It is up to you. You decide who is telling the truth and who is lying. Or are you looking for someone to make your mind up for you?

14. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I cannot. I am not sure about God. I do not know what it is like to be sure about God.

15. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I would sit down with them and go through the Gospel message to see where we differ and share thoughts with that person.

I would pray to my Father in heaven to confirm the truth in the minds of us both and to bring wisdom to overcome any lies that exist in our minds.

I trust in God.

16. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Water I have first-hand knowledge of.
    God - I do not. All I have ever heard about God was told to me by people.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

how did you develop first hand knowledge of water then?
    you weren't born with it

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Can't you see? I have no first-hand knowledge of God. All I have ever heard in relation to God, I have heard from people, never from God himself.
    With this in mind, however I would decide about God, I would compromise my integrity.

You theists are putting an immoral decision before me.

19. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Are you saying that God is to be taken to be of the same kind of phenomenon as water?

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

in the sense that water is something that we can define by qualities (water is wet) and understand its effect or relationship to ourself (if we drink it, we get relief from thirst), and its not an issue that is affected by time,place or circumstances (these qualities are not affected by place of birth, technological advancement, history etc)

21. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

This is all fine intheory. What about in practice?

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Okay let's make a slight change. John Smith starts to wonder what sex would be like. Why? Because there is a rumbeling in his pants every time he sees females with certain attributes. BANG!!! It's already began. Do you get my point.

Whether you want to admit it or not, God is innate within everyone, just as everyone knows they have a father, even if they have never met him.
    If God wasn't inate, he wouldn't be God.

Jan.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

step one - take water
    step two - drink it
    step three - discern whether you are still thirsty