Time for mutual respect

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Plazma Inferno!, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grandtheftcow Registered Member

In the time I've spent here I've noticed a few staff members can't seem to put up with members they don't like. As an example the racism thread Stryder posted in this section of the board is essentially a ban poll. He says as much in his opening line of the post.

The staff need to realize they can't hold grudges and properly moderate the board at the same time. If things continue then there's going to be an ingrained mistrust between members and staff that results in the poisonous environment we are currently seeing.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Cool, but it's not a one end stick, mods need to do their job too,
    and the whiny, sissy members can't accept that, so they whine like it's the end of the world,
    but it's not.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

excellent. despite what others may think. this is what sci is. what it is maybe characterized in many ways but egregiousness is not one

most know where to draw the line
    kindly allow us our traditions....sex, drugs and rock n' roll

now
    religion/politics/pseudo/whatnot
    deny access until additional tos has been clicked

over 18/mensa qotient/thick skin

/deadly serious

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

y'know
    never forget the chillun!

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Part of the problem is that some here, sandy being a prime example, don't know the difference between personal attacks and attacking ideas. They somehow think by attacking their ideas, we are attacking them personally.

Another problem is that some here, sandy being a prime example, post with little or no thought process in their responses, or post the most inane and assinine remarks that insult everyone elses intelligence. These remarks almost certainly get attacked.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well for a prime example of attacking someone personally just read through the I'm Depressed Thread and I'm Offski.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

there will never be complete mutual respect. respect for someone ideas requires some understanding of why they believe that. some people who post on here have shown themselves incapable of trying to understand how someone else arrived at their beliefs. We all do it it is most of us manage to reduce it to the point that we can understand, but some people just can't do it.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree with the dude, a minimum of courtesy is the best I can do.

I don't see that. What is the reason or goal?

12. Zyxoas Registered Senior Member

@Spidergoat: You know, I've also been wondering lately why I registered here. It's honestly more fun and informative @ Yahoo answers (I'm not trying to be funny).

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have no such wondering, I registered here to participate in a particulary legendary thread that's now been largely swallowed by the sands of time.

14. Zyxoas Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's because I frequent the wrong sub-forums, or I often judge topics by their titles, but I only remember a very small handful of valid scientific discussions since I registered. It's been mostly cranks, troll threads, humour, racism, and forum politics.

WHERE IS THE SCIENCE? Why is it so rare here? (This is a valid example of irony, right?)

Is it just because the people here suck? Great, Lord Hiller and Count Sudoku are gone, but rabid bigotry and racism are not the only problems here.

Have you people SEEN the sheer number of members with thousands of posts who have "Banned" written next to their names? People with TENS OF THOUSANDS OF POSTS! How did they last so long? Was it because something happened lately that drove them over the edge? I really can't think of any better explanation for this phenomenon...

15. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I agree. Personal attacks here have gone WAY too far... and I will be the first one to admit that I am guilty too.

This is my formal apology to Sandy.

I love ya Sandy and I apologize for the whole picture issue. I respect what you have to say, even if I don't agree with it at times... and even if I don't know what you look like lol.

Friends?

And to everyone else... I don't think I've had any issues with anyone else except for Vital and he's gone now... but Vital, if you do read this... Ok... well.... um... I can't really apologize. You deserved alot of the heat that you got. But still, I forgive you. lol.

But yes, we should honestly put aside our personal differences and speak from intelligence and not personal vendictions. Just because someone is different from you or cuz someone believe something different than you do does not make them wrong in any way. As my avatar says, we are all different and all equal. SO let us hold hands and share our love for life and use this experience that we have so that we may make this a better world. And how do you change the world? One person at a time.

I LOVE YOU EVERYONE!!!

(I love Reiku the most though... oh and Shorty)

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I'd be thrilled if y'all could get the *mods* to stop doing stuff like that, let alone regular posters...

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The funny thing is that the disintegration of morale here seems to be impelling a lot of minds towards the mental state that I have been in when I have written my most paranoid rants. The paranoia is in the makeup of a lot of people here, but they have identified different targets.

18. sniffy Banned Banned

It beats me how people can get 'paranoid' about a 'group' of faceless noobs that they'll probably never even speak to let alone meet. Half the time people are posting after having one too many *insert drug of choice*. C'mon lighten up y'all!

19. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Me too?

Ha!

20. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

There's a thing to be said about confusing the message and the messenger.

21. sniffy Banned Banned

You calling me a noob greenberg? Why I'll just throw a hissy and get all paranoid.

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Awwwwwww

Now for the Sandy thing......ummmmmmm I just can't follow in your footsteps lol.

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I couldn't have said it better myself

specially because I suck at english

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.