Time does not exist

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Archimonde, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Dana D It's all about balance Registered Senior Member

No serious drugs in years. Oooh ... maybe it's permenant!:huh:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Any unserious drugs then, whatever, still I 'll take what I can get!! :cheers:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

:roflmao:

This brings to mind the zen response to Descartes: "But what about when One is not thinking?"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

YES! YES! Very nicely put.

8. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Time exists, but only in the mind. Time is made of thoughts, that's why the speed of time is affected by your mood (thoughts). In reality, only the "now" exists. The past is a memory and the future is imagination.

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Which would explain why there is an international standard for the second?
    Wrong!

10. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Can you say 'collective acceptance'?

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I can.
    But if it can be defined as a standard unit then obviously it's not variable with each individual.
    Just their perception of it passing - likewise, just because you miss an event or a word in someone's speech doesn't mean it didn't happen.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think we can assume Archimonde is not an hourly employee anywhere. I need to use this excuse when I'm late for work, "but boss, there is no such thing as time!".

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Holy crap! I know this sounds incredible, but I completely agree with VO here!

Go figure...

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I think we need to seperate the human perception of "time" as a thing flowing or moving, from time as simply the acknowledgement that matter and energy "evolve" from moment to moment. Have you ever been under anesthesia? How much "time" would you say passed while you were under, based on your own subjective assessment? If you went under for an unspecified "time" in deep space and nothing changed around you, what would you say upon waking? Only a moment passed? A millenia?

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Lol.

That's a silly question.

It's the now you FEEL, right now... as you read this.

The funny thing is, that right now is not just right now, as was noted: The subjective projection of the future AND one's entire history all exist... right now.

So right now is MORE than just right now, but it's just right now. Are you with me now?

Lol.

I'm just saying there's more to the moment than a frozen clock.

Everything you are is now, and it's the now you FEEL. It's the now in which you experience yourself. It's an infinitessimal slice of time in which the whole of you exists. We're all "bubbles in time".

16. Dana D It's all about balance Registered Senior Member

... just surfing the multi-verse.

17. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

And if someone chooses to have a completely different sense of the passing of time then they will exist somewhere else,
    i.e. another demention (spelling intentional), or parallel universe.

BTW, sometimes I understand this stuff deeply, and sometimes I think it's horseshit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Not true:as demonstrated by the fact that, say, half an hour in a lecture can seem like years, and two hours *cough* in bed can seem like ten minutes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's true for most of us I think: utter clarity and then when you try to put it into words it falls apart like shredded tissues.

19. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure I get what you mean. In relation to my point, i.e.:shrug:

Well said. And, Thank you. Cuz "Oh so true".

20. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

We have to be born, we grow, and die; so far so good? any objections?

This part of ourselves called the brain is part of this that is born and dies; it will eventually be worm food...
    We know that energy doesn´t die, it only transforms... So if our energy is eternal, and we only take different forms through existence, then mind can only see that which is behind the circle of life & death, it cannot see beyond, because it was born, and it will die.
    Mystics all over the world and history have told us that beyond our mind is the greatest mystery, the unspeakable in words... So, they called it God, or Tao, or Dharma; but in reality is just a glimpse of what our mind cannot understand by thinking, that which is beyond time.

There is a Sufi story about Jesus; some people were asking Jesus over and over again to tell them something about his "Kingdom of God", that they don´t know. They asked Jesus: "We have been told there is women, but we know women, we have been told of clouds, of gold, of beauty, but we know all that, tell us something we haven´t seen, something we don´t know!". So Jesus replied: "Time shall be no more".

We have to take in consideration that Jesus kept saying that the "Kingdom of God" is within you, and it is right now; not when you die, but right now.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

It was to answer your point about
    We DO sense time passing differently in different situations, and we still exist "here".
    Or did you mean something else with "different sense"?

And mostly, when it transforms it becomes less useful - e.g. chemical energy if petroleum generates kinetic energy to move a car, and lots of waste heat.
    When it transforms it "breaks down" - so why would you make the assumption that the energy part of us would continue on as a coherent "soul" or "spirit"?

22. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Because the energy that makes us be alive, that is not in our brain, sometimes is the force behind our actions. For example: when a person throws all logic for love; the person is no longer functioning with the logic of the brain, but pure loving energy, the love possesses you, you don´t possess the love. If you try to possess the love, it is like trying to grap mercury with a closed hand and you will miss it.

When your intuition tells you something, and your brain tells you otherwise; well intuition is most of the times right (this is by far stronger in the case of women).

One time I was in love with a girl, but I couldn´t be with her because of circumstances; she loved me, and I loved her, but we couldn´t be together. One night, I was just laying on my bed, thinking of nothing in particular, I was not thinking about her and sudenly, a huge pain arose from my heart, as if someone near me died in front of me. I didn´t know what was happening, because I wasn´t thinking about anything sad (I don´t torture myself like that), but I felt much much pain form inside. I started thinking about her and phoned her right away, well she was crying, she was in pain. I wasn´t in pain, but I felt what she was feeling, I felt her feelings from miles apart. Now that was not an action of my brain, and I never have experienced that before or after, just that one time. It is a part of myself that is beyond my comprehension, and was waken up by love.

23. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Well, the operative word was "completely" not "different sense".
    As in: not in agreement with anyone at any time on/in this collectively accepted plane of existence.