Time Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

The existance of a circadian clock would seem to suggest that time does exist or there would be no such need for this in nature. Unless circadian clock is in fact a reality stabilising clock?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/317/7174/1704

quoted:
    "Summary points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Circadian timekeeping is a fundamental property of all higher forms of life

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In mammals the principal circadian mechanism lies in the individual neurones of the suprachiasmatic nuclei

Comparative studies of the clock in mammals and fruit flies have provided a model of autoregulatory feedback to explain its basic properties

The genes encoding this feedback loop, and how they and their protein products respond to synchronising cues, are being characterised

This opens the way for an understanding of how genes regulate a basic aspect of behaviour and what are suitable targets for intervention when this timing mechanism breaks down"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

also it depends on how you look at time
    for all we know it's possible that time isn't consistant
    but it is in our minds
    because we see it as consistant
    and it measures everything consistantly
    but what we dont see for proof with our own eyes, anything is possible
    we assume somethings there, but without making sure how do we really know

its like that old saying if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound...
    right?
    but how do we know it fell in the first place
    if we didnt see it fall anything is possible to change because we have no proof
    but with proof that is when everything falls into place
    i dunno if you understand what im trying to say but thats teh way i see it

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Duendy, time dilation is an established fact. Global Positioning Systems prove it every day. The theory and the technology were arrived at without the use of hallucinogenics (as far as I know). What evidence do you have for the veracity of your deep psychedelic temporal insight?

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

if time does exist, it did not have a start, because for something to begin without time is impossible, it must be infinite if it truley does exist.

peace.

9. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

yes i agree with this
    but until we actually see an end for ourselves we can only assume infinity
    because thats what it is until the end
    and an end determines a beginning

10. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

So would time ever 'stop' functioning? Does time need matter to exist? When matter ceases to exist, would time cease to exist? Guess it would be hard to say...

11. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

'Chi:

You have posted a statement that so important that I am knocked out. It is the enigma I have pondered many times with no closure.

How did Everything begin? Before time began, there could be no thing. So, it is inexplicable that Anything could come from no thing, yet, here we are.

12. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Now, that's something to wonder about. I've done so too, but stopped, because it was only taking my attention away from other subjects that I actually can contemplate reason into. That question was in my head, way to big. I guess we'll eventually know. Or not. Just the same either way. We won't know right now.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

well its true right?

if we say time exists, then there couldent be a "before time" scenario, because bieng timeless also means motionless, and eventless, so thats an impossible situation due to logic of time,

so therefore, if time does exist it must be infinite, mass/matter/energy/physical force etc can be created through time, but time itself holds no simularity to those "elements" i stated previously. it cannot be created as it has no physical form or energy force,

time is the creator then, as greek mythology suggests in its stories and tales about zueses father "chronos" (i think thats his name) the god of time, time allows for infinite possibility through its multi dimensional formless locational structure.

it cant end because theres no physical energy to burn out or transform etc, it cannot begin because it cant be created, it would have to just have always been, (i know its hard for human mind to cmprehend true infinity) but seriously if your talking on this level about a true force called time other than an abstract, then infinite is the only logical solution to times mystery,

for it to be created is according to times logic, "impossible"

for it to end is also just as impossible according the the simple logic of time,

so the only logical explanation is infinity.

peace.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

one step at a time,

leave that debate to anouther thread, like the big bang debate, or my own "before the start" thread,

time itself we should concerntrate on here.

peace.

15. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I realized two seconds after pressing the button, so I deleted it at once. No use in messin' up a good thread.

16. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

well first of all i dunno if i understand what you mean by "time"
    if all of existance ended then probably so would time seeing as time isn't really a real element in that sense it's just a word for measurement
    but existance is real
    and everything measured in time is real
    so basically it depends on what you mean by time
    it can mean a few different things i guess

17. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

Nah. I means the same. Time is time either way you put it. No need to complicate. Measurable time, one second to another, is part of the ever-flowing time. The second ceases to exist once it has passed, time does not. Hence reffering to something in past, present, future tense.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You can't place flow on time especially if you bring Relativity into the fold. The only reason we don't speak in such relative tenses is purely down to how complex it would be. (and how alien it would seem trying to comprehend it)

As for "does it exist", well it's not something that can be Quantified, in the essense that you can't weigh time and it doesn't exist as a particle.

19. johny_israel Registered Senior Member

well basicllay i would say in our world time does exist
    maybe not in the big picture
    but without time everything would be so disorganized

but with the whole question on is there a beginning or an end..... i don't really know
    basically like i said if there's one then there has to be the other
    so i guess we would have to find the answer for one of them
    but right now all we can assume as that infinity does exist
    because until it doesn't exist the possibilities will always be endless
    maybe with the past they are not because we have proof
    and anything we have proof for there is only one possibility
    but without proof there are so many possibilities
    so i guess the saying goes actions speak louder than words right

20. Arkantos Registered Senior Member

Time exists by definition like everything else seem to at this moment to me...I have a lot to learn though.

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Dense shits who cannot grasp the concept of time?

No, rather it is my frustration at you inability to understand that time obviously exists. If it did not, you wouldn't be able to do anything, as it takes time for you to follow through with basic functions such as a heart beating, breathing, and cellular reproduction.

22. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Time is a concept arising from change and motion. The past is a memory and the future is an expectation. Only the present is real.

The present moment has no duration. It's a point without substance and which doesn't contain anything.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so your saying time is a real force, as in it has atoms? or it has a force that we can physicaly study?, or it is a gas? a solid? a liquid? is it a plasma type energy maybe?

time exists as an abstract and a way to measure events/periods of actions, can you prove it is anything more real than the number 1?

are you saying its a real force that exists in the universe? or its an abstract of the human mind devised to measure in a certain way? im unsure.

peace.