Tiassa trolls a thread about abortion

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Tiassa, Feb 6, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I see. Thank you.

So, when I asked cluelusshusbund "Is calling me 'Felicia' supposed to be an insult or something?", the answer is: yes, it was supposed to be an insulting dismissal. And he's now done it at least twice.

I will bear this in mind in future interactions with cluelusshusbund. If he is unable to remain civil in conversation, it is probably a waste of my time and effort to try to help him to compensate for his apparent learning difficulties. But maybe that's just an act, too.

(What has happened to basic manners? Why do so many people find it so hard to have a cordial, honest and open conversation with another human being?)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

James, you need to stop threatening people. It's really quite clear that, after years of pretending some genuine concern for free speech, you've collapsed into solipsistic self-interest. The Administrator who used to remind his staff that Sciforums is just a website is now so oversensitive that contemporary sass is something to threaten about. Moreover, it's also apparent that it's just about you; if you enforced that kind of speech code consistently, that would be one thing. But that's the thing, you're well known for insulting dismissals↗, so nobody has any real expectation of consistency. Even still, you're far too clumsy about it. "'Bye, Felicia"? Really?

• • •​

And those eight paragraphs were far too much effort for the sake of clumsy an effort to construct an ill-conceived fallacy.

Magical Realist likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Could your wording be any more clumsy?

I guess you just aren't capable of communicating anything other than outrage for the sake of what? Drama? Or is it just "contemporary sass"?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Naah, consider me stupid for actually reading the thread.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

An out-of-left-field non sequitur. There is no threat in post #61. Well, maybe if you squint your eyes and read it as a threat that I might reduce my willingness to correspond at length with cluelusshusband in future, but apart from that...
    I am free to speak or not to speak with whomever I wish on this forum, as are you. Mind your own business.
    I don't believe you're really too dumb to read the situation correctly, despite your pretence. In this thread that is dedicated to your trolling, this is just one more example that proves the general point that you're an incorrigible troll.
    That's what happens when I write a post expressing my intentions about how I will conduct myself in future: it's all about me. Fancy that. How bizarre.
    What's this nonsense about enforcement? Where did I "enforce" something, there?
    Who did you poll on that question?
    This stuff is obviously above your pay grade. Let the adult handle it.

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I agree that endorsement of unqualified, absolutist positions gives a hostage to fortune. I avoid doing so.

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Can you explain, to this out-of-touch Englishman, WTF "contemporary sass" is?

I assume it must be either one of these transatlantic neologisms, in which case I will have to get used to seeing it more and more, or that it is just some piece of impenetrable Tiassaspeak that I can forget about.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. geordief Valued Senior Member

Any help?
    https://books.google.ie/books?id=puECAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq="contemporary sass"&source=bl&ots=tb_s3I5w2L&sig=ACfU3U0r80BTMBHc5_mxgNd_RggADfpB_w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIrf_A7NCEAxXnQUEAHRXKA4IQ6AF6BAgTEAM#v=onepage&q="contemporary sass"&f=false"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Own_Thing

"Your Own Thing is a rock-styled musical comedy loosely based on Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare. It premiered off-Broadway in early 1968. The music and lyrics are by Hal Hester and Danny Apolinar [1] with the book adaptation by Donald Driver, who also directed the original production.[2] Dorothy Love was the show's producer. The show was a success, running for 937 performances Off-Broadway[3] and then touring and playing in London and Australia."

Seems to go back to 1968

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I have no idea. It seems to be of Tiassa's world.

exchemist likes this.
  13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

While "sass" not a common word in the UK, I have heard it used here as intended by Tiassa. It means a display of impudence, of something lacking respect. We usually don't see/use it here as a noun but more as the adjective "sassy".

"Bye, Felicia" (even has its own wiki-page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye,_Felicia) is used as a dismissive send-off - and is a display of "sass". It is "contemporary" because this particular phrase and intended use can find its roots in the film "Friday" from 1995. Okay, that's almost 30 years ago, but that is still contemporary with regard linguistics. Afterall, it's not as though Cluelusshusband used a Shakespearean phrase, is it.

As to the origins of "sass", it comes from c.17-1800s, as a variant of "sauce". People would use language that was considered "saucy". I think in the UK this was more used for behaviour/language that was considered sexually suggestive (e.g. the "Carry On" films was filled with "sauciness"), whereas in the US it meant more along the lines of "spirited", or "lively", something with a bit of bite/kick to it - so if you tried a bit of Tabasco Sauce you'd consider it "a bit saucy". We do use it here in the UK for that, but, again, it's not exactly common. Some regions may use it more than others.

This word then changed to "sass" - hence we get "sassy", describing someone who is being a tad brash or impudent or showing a lack of respect etc. Surely you've heard it used in such as "don't get sassy with me, young girl!", or similar such expressions?
    Well, the word "sass" has been around for 200 years or so. And it is used in the UK, as used by Tiassa. But, as stated, we usually use the adjective "sassy" rather than the noun.

Hope that helps.

exchemist and Magical Realist like this.
  14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Not out of left field, James; see #61↑ above.

You wrote, "I will bear this in mind in future interactions with cluelusshusbund", and the thing is, James, you issue infractions to people for make-believe offenses.

And consider, James—

—there remains the question of what happens if he's just too retarded. Maybe you'll make him an Administrator?

Actually, James, it's you. This is the atmosphere and culture you, as Administrator, sought. And it's pretty clear that sarcasm, trolling, flaming, and lying is acceptable to you as long as people have the right politics. But someone gives you a, "Bye, Felicia", and that hurts your feelings.

What happened to basic manners is that you sacrificed them at the altar of not silencing political views. Because apparently there are just some views that cannot be properly expressed with rational, supportable discourse.

That's why some people around here never have to put up an actual argument, and are allowed to run on fallacy.

Consider that you didn't need to thank me. The thing about it is that the subsequent paragraphs in #61 have absolutely nothing to do with me except that you posted them. After the first paragraph, none of #61 has anything to do with me; it was your vehicle for communicating with Cluelusshusbund and other members whose challenge might distress you.

What you present to the world, James, is a fragile, incapable, bitter old fuddy-duddy.

†​

Here, James, let's take a look at this:

You wrote that in one of your posts dancing around the human rights of women; that was 11 February, Pacific Time.

On 28 February, Seattle↑ decided that wasn't good enough: "Tiassa, why word the poll to include the right to choose in general vs the right to choose in all cases if the point isn't to make people think?"

He's probably not going to take the question up with you. "Most reasonable people, when responding to a poll aren't going to pick an ill defined absolute choice," he said. You're probably not going to get all sniffy about it and tell him to take it up with Gallup.

It doesn't matter, in his moment, what you actually said about the poll. All he can do is challenge from ignorance. For instance, the prospect that a minor isn't competent to abort, results in the circumstance that she is competent to carry a pregnancy to term. It's kind of a glaring contradiction, but beside the point for his purpose, which is akin to a stumbling block.

Think about it; something about cryptocurrency upset you enough to issue a personally-motivated infraction against Seattle that contradicts even your own passionately-argued standard. (Remember? You fired me for pointing that out.) But when Seattle is foolin' around in order to troll a thread with thoughtless noise and demand, well, you're okay with it because it suits your political need.

Nor is that unfamiliar behavior, James. Consider Yazata. You liked him a lot more when he covered for you in the Religion subforum, but lately bawled↗ about Yazata telling a "big lie", a label you assigned↗. Yet when it comes to the notorious "Big Lie" that sought to overturn an entire nattion, you're crying for the believers↗.

(Irony? Yazata, also, is known for having promoted right-wing propaganda↗, and neither did that seem to bother you. But the bullshit story he told was the produce of a political movement↗ that participated in the American conservative Big Lie.)​

It's why Billvon can double and triple down on encouraging terrorism, but when it's Parmalee doing a comedy bit, you make the joke about stochastic terrorism into something more dangerous than the stochastic terrorism, itself. Indeed, Billvon can even chirp hypocritically at Parmalee, and that's all to the good, for you, because Billvon supported a politic you agree with, and Parmalee supported a politic you disagree with.

(True, he was clumsy about his performance, but you're also someone who spent↗ four↗ posts↗ about↗ one-armed men and cancel culture in stand-up comedy; as you note, you wrote more about it in the back room. The idea that you can't discern the joke does not suit your huffy confidence about stand-up comedy, and we can even see in those posts the beginning of you falling down a hole.¹)​

Your politics have shown for a long time, James. And your sensitivity makes the point. We can look back over fifteen years to find you issuing an infraction on behalf of white supremacist arguments. (Oh, right, you've hidden that record from people.)

Look, you wonder what happened to basic manners? You were worried, James, about suppressing political views. So, while Seattle's question about your poll isn't exceptional compared to the noise around here, it's a reminder that around here it doesn't matter what the other side has, as such, because as long as it suits your political need, one side of an argument needs nothing more than insistent superstition and shitposting.

And let's be clear: As a political reality, whatever; it's hardly unexpected. However, in consideration of your lament about basic manners, well, it's hard to understand what you expected when showing such favor, over the years, to shitposting.

Notes:

¹ To the one, you tried to make the case for Justine Sacco↗; to the other, you would later assert↗, "It also sound like you think that it is possible for a person to be a white supremacist without realising it, which strikes me as a little bizarre." That is to say, apparently your defense for Sacco strikes you as a little bizarre. This sort of contradiction isn't exactly uncommon, James, and at best reads like you're perpetually grasping after straws and unable to keep track of everything you're saying.​

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Brief Notes

I would clarify, here, by pointing to #59↑ above, in explaining, "it's an old line from an American movie called Friday! The phrase has circulated in revival, for reasons I don't actually know, on social media. It's a colloquial sassy dismissal, and less expensive than an actual mic drop."

It is this revival, the circulation of the phrase on social media, that is contemporary.

Also, I would add this detail:

In my lifetime, at least, many have compressed, "Don't get sassy with me", to, "Don't sass me". When styled as a question, it goes, "Are you sassing me?"

Sarkus likes this.
  16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

That's interesting. The only meaning for "sassy" in my OED refers to a West African tree, the bark of which was used for ordeal by poison (!).

I had heard of "sassy" as slang for "spirited", but never a noun "sass". I suppose "sass" must be a back-formation from "sassy", which could come from the American pronunciation of sauce as "sarse" or "sahse".

P.S. Actually I see this link supports the idea of a back-formation from "sassy":https://www.etymonline.com/word/sass

Sarkus likes this.
  17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Tiassa:
    I issued no infraction to cluelusshusbund. Nor did I threaten to issue one. Your attempt to impute that I threatened to do anything like that is another lie from you.

You've really ramped up the frequency with which you tell blatant lies, lately. Clearly, something about me really gets your goat. The result is your pathetic, whiney flailing about that takes most of your attention these days.
    Maybe I'll appoint him as a supermoderator to replace you. He couldn't be less effective at that than you were.
    Actually, the atmosphere here was lot worse before I was appointed as a moderator here. Probably you've forgotten. Or maybe you preferred it when you had free rein to belittle and insult people to your heart's content.
    I admit to being partial to the odd bit of well-deserved sarcasm. Trolling, no. Flaming? Well, I'll sometimes flame back a little rather than bringing down the moderator baton in the first instance. But I usually start by politely pointing out to the flamer what better behaviour could look like, and invite that person to consider modifying his behaviour. Some people aren't receptive to good advice, of course.

I'm not a big fan of lies, at all. As a repeat unrepentant liar yourself, you must surely be aware of my attitude to liars by now. Let's just say, I'm not usually motivated to befriend them.
    Actually, until you explained the usage, "Bye Felicia" merely left me mildly bemused. After you explained it, it just added confirming evidence to some suspicions I already had regarding cluelusshusband's character and intentions. I am not at all surprised that he chose to act like he didn't care when I asked him questions that he found too difficult to answer honestly. He's certainly not the first to react that way. It's something that liars do, too.
    Oh no. I didn't sacrifice them. Some people are very touchy about having their political views questioned or criticised. When they get angry, they are likely to sacrifice basic manners - if they ever learned any in the first place (not everyone does).

In my opinion, it becomes more important, not less, to make an effort to remain civil when you disagree with somebody else. But I'm unusual in that regard.
    You ought to know from your years as a moderator that it is not appropriate to set oneself up as dictator of what is and isn't a fallacy. That is an abuse of power. In my opinion, a lot of these things can and should be fought out in the arena of ideas. Trolling, on the other hand, has to be handled differently.
    I thanked you for explaining what "bye, Felicia" is supposed to mean and for providing some information on the origins of the expression. You didn't have to help me, but you did, so it's polite to thank you. Basic manners, you see.
    "Distress" is not correct. But yes, you're right that I wanted to communicate something to cluelusshusbund there - and to anybody else who thinks that sort of behaviour is clever or cute. You're also right to say that that had nothing to do with you. You just happened to be the person who helped me to confirm that there was a problem with what clueluss posted.
    Your impressions of me are your impressions of me. You do not speak for "the world", I'm afraid, Tiassa. Surely, after 20+ years on this forum you must have some inkling that you're out of sync with "the world" (?)

Don't fret, though. I'm sure you can find enough people who will agree with you to provide the necessary degree of confirmation bias required to make you sure that you're right.

More importantly than what the world might think - because, let's face it, the world gets a hell of a lot of stuff wrong a lot of the time - is that I know that I'm not especially fragile, that I'm capable of quite a lot of rather impressive things (though I'm not usually the one to crow about them), that I'm bitter about surprisingly few things (and believe me, there are a few things I could be very understandably bitter about) and that if I need anybody to remind me of any fuddy-duddy tendencies, I can be confident that my children will do a much better job of that than anybody here ever could.

Actually, Tiassa, I'm reasonably comfortable in my own skin. Can you say the same about yourself? How are your insecurities?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)
    Regardless of your dishonest attempt to falsely frame the context, again you will note that what I wrote was entirely true.
    You're right. I'm not. I agree with Seattle on that. I said so in the first instance.

It's up to you to argue your side of the matter, not to us.
    What was it you said, just recently? "The thing about [this] is that the subsequent paragraphs ... have absolutely nothing to do with me except that you posted them." Why take it up with me when you have a disagreement with Seattle? Take it up with Seattle.
    Uh uh uh! Don't tell lies, Tiassa. There's a record of the reasons I "fired" you from your position as a moderator here. There was nothing about cryptocurrency or Seattle in those reasons.

Moreover, you also lied about what happened with the cryptocurrency thing. Giving you the greatest benefit of the doubt, maybe you just don't understand what happened there, or why. Or maybe you're still trolling.
    Look, I get it. You have a personality clash with Seattle. He pushes your buttons, for some reason. But then again, that's hardly a rare occurrence with you. Lots of people here push your buttons. Am I the worst? You really, deeply loathe me. Or do you loathe Seattle more? How many other people do you loathe, here? It must be a long list.
    I still like Yazata. It's a pity that he feels like he has to lie about people who are skeptical of UFOs, of all things. Maybe in time he'll resolve this, because I think it's probably a source of some cognitive dissonance for him. I'm very willing to give him time.
    Hardly.

One of your problems, Tiassa, is that you're lousy at telling the difference between your political allies and your political enemies. The result is that you waste a heap of your time flailing away uselessly at people whose political opinions probably align with yours 95% of the time. Maybe you're so anal you just can't stand that 5% difference. But it's a serious error you make when you spend all your time and effort fighting that 5%, when you could be arguing your case against the people who 95% disagree with you.

What happens, in practice, is that you end up losing your political friends over that 5%, while your political enemies merely stand by and applaud the disunity you create in the camp that they steadfastly oppose.
    I'm sure you have some particular incidents in mind with all that, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Did these incidents happen over 10 years ago? Are you putting your own spin on what actually went down? There's no way to begin to tell, in the absence of any actual references.
    I was quite articulate in my posts about cancel culture. I urge any readers who are still with us to review that discussion. I'm not at all surprised to find that you're still fretting about it. After all, it's what you do - fret on things for years after the event. You can't tolerate differences of opinion. You have to win. You can't stand having something unresolved. You need to keep bludgeoning away at it, impotently.
    Thank you. I do try.
    Well, it's conceivable, I suppose. The context would be important to understand. Looking back over 15 years? What was it I just said about bludgeoning away at it, impotently?

Readers should bear in mind that you're an unrepetant serial liar when it comes to your accusing me of condoning or advocating for white supremacism. I never have, and you know it. This, by the way, is one of the reasons I gave for why you're no longer a moderator here. That and your other two egregious false accusations. Remember?
    Indeed. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. I'm a free speech advocate. There's a difficult line that needs to be trodden with that. I don't get many thanks for treading it. But it's the right thing to do.
    The horror!
    You're lying again. That was not my defense of Sacco.

Bludgeon away, Tiassa.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Mic drop

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah about 26 years ago in the good ol' WebTV days

That was back when WebTV wouldn't even work with Sciforums... or my bank

Thanks James R... im sure that musta been difficult for you... an i proud of ya son... but the best has yet to come:::
    I have now made you my newest best friend

21. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

If you guys spent as much time and energy on getting discussions going about science, as you do in bickering over personal trivia this forum might just recover some credibility

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, at least we know how you're going to support your arguments.

23. geordief Valued Senior Member

Don't feed the troll people.

billvon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.