Tiassa trolls a thread about abortion

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Tiassa, Feb 6, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The whole thread is insane.

James posts a poll about abortion. Everyone responds affirming a woman's right to chose. Bells comes in all upset (what's new) and Tiassa latches on to James for some strange reason.

Clueless has to be a troll since he can occasionally write a paragraph in perfectly normal english before trolling in his broken english and while Tiassa might be able to understand simple english, he certainly can't respond with simple english.

exchemist and Pinball1970 like this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

No, he didn't, Bill. You need to stop lying.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

James, they're two separate questions, and as I pointed out to Seattle, you asserted a position in one at odds with an affirmative answer to the other. Immediately following this, you have issued an infraction.

That pretty much makes your position clear.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What is the emo position on this weighty question?

Pinball1970 likes this.
  8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Good, so if it's now clear, you can shut up about it, can't you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Here's a question that stands out: Why would Exchemist want me to shut up about human rights of a woman?

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Because no one is attacking the human rights of a woman?

11. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Well, the issue of trolling in this particular thread set aside...

After all these years [both here and an elsewhere of the past], we can surely say that it's just a "Josh Billings" personally preferred style of writing. Like Mark Twain's use of it in "Huckleberry Finn", which contrasts with the opposite of Jack Vance's highly ornamental style.

Which might arguably correspond to the writing style of continental philosophers or especially the later obscurantism of postmodernism (in an Anglophone world context). At any rate, it's not really that unique or unfamiliar, either.
    _

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I did not.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Tiassa said:
    "It really would have been easier just to say yes, unless, of course, that's not the actual answer."
    I pick option 3) The truth... Tiassa is spot-on about James R.!!!

However:::

Im just guessin that you’r perty far from bein that stoopid… so to be generous… its more likely that you’r just plain lyin.!!!

Yes… you’r BIG LIE… that you have answerd Tiassas question.!!!

Yes… by answrin Tiassas question… but if you still refuse to answer… at least quit lyin by sayin that you have answerd.!!

Which begs the queston::: Do the rules apply to everybody... even James R.???

Bye Felicia

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

^^
    And therein lies the matter at hand: you saying that you didn't, and Tiassa thinking that you did. All that is required now is for Tiassa to explain why he thinks you did. That is the issue here, not that there has been any trolling, as Tiassa was accused of.

The thread was about abortion, and Tiassa asked you a question that he has subsequently linked to that matter. Asking that question is not trolling. It is pertinent to the subject matter. While he hasn't yet explained why he thinks your view of the former is contrary to an affirmative response to that question, he has linked the two for purposes of the discussion. That is not trolling. That is asking a question, and probing you for your view on the matter at hand, albeit in a manner that can help (in his view) demonstrate an apparent contradiction. Again - that is not trolling. Presumably the reason he has not yet provided that explanation is because you (and others who have been asked) have been unwilling to answer that question. Pushing you to answer is not trolling, as the question is relevant to the subject being discussed. When he pushes back against people that say that the question has been answered when clearly it has not, that also is not trolling. That is simply telling the truth of the matter.

What is trolling, if anything, would be your (and others) subsequent and ongoing refusal to answer what is ostensibly a straightforward question, and to then harass for him asking it, and the manner of your responses. You didn't answer it then. You haven't now. He asked it of other people as well. They haven't answered, either.

What does remain outstanding, however, is his explanation of why he thinks your view of one is contrary to the affirmative response to the question you haven't yet answered. But, again, it is still related, clearly, to the question raised in that original thread. Not trolling.

But, given the players involved, it is not entirely surprising how events unfolded.

I, for one, assume you would provide an affirmative response to his question. I can't understand why you are doing your best to avoid answering it directly though.
    What I am interested in, however, is why he thinks such an affirmative response would be contradictory to your views on abortion. Are you not interested in that? You may not agree with his analysis, but are you not interested in understanding why people might think that? Or are you just happy to assert that such a response wouldn't be contradictory, and be comfortable in what could simply be ignorance of reality?

Again, given the players involved, none of what transpired, nor the outcome, surprised.

15. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Because I believe women exist solely for bearing children and the sexual gratification of men, of course, and so they have no rights. (I just thought you would like me to spell it out for you, to avoid any doubt.)

After all, what other reason could there possibly be?...............

James R likes this.
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

cluelusshusbund:

I'm sorry that this conversation has gone over your head.

Since you and I are such good friends and all, I'll be happy to answer Tiassa's question, just so that you're not left in this horrible state of confusion you find yourself in. After all, I wouldn't want you to remain bamboozled by Tiassa's floury language and bullshit.

So... Tiassa's question was "do you acknowledge and affirm that women are human beings and have human rights?"

Brace yourself. Here's my answer:

Yes, I recognise and affirm that woman are, indeed human beings. I am willing to defend that proposition if anybody wishes to challenge it. (So far, nobody has, in this thread or in the one about abortion that Tiassa decided to troll.)

Furthermore, I recognise and affirm that woman have human rights, just like the other non-woman human beings. You may refer to the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights if you'd like to know about some of the specific rights that I affirm.

I will be very happy to discuss the details of any and all human rights of human women with you, if you have further questions.

---
    I hope this helps you and Felicia. (Who's Felicia?) Have I been clear enough for you, or is there some residual confusion?

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yes, you did; here it is:

And what was your reason? Apparently, it was make-believe:

Someone other than me did address that point↗, but you chose to duck it: "That's essentially what I said," you replied, ignoring the implications. The difference between the two is affecting.

And you insist:

That "most people don't know the ins and outs of late term abortion practices" does not justify your parsing, especially when you want recognition of a woman's human rights to be "essentially" the same as refusing that recognition.

It's like when you said—

—and nobody is supposed to notice that you spent multiple posts justifying exceptions according to pretenses of ignorance and confusion.

As you were told↗, "Actually, what you said is that you 'dithered' on the point when discussing the legality of it".

And you should probably take the advice you were given: "When faced with said false narrative, don't 'dither' based on the 'practicalities'. Actually address the false narrative that is being used to force women to remain pregnant."

Because, no, you're not being heroic—

—when you "dither" for the sake of a false narrative.

(Is it always somebody else's fault, the dangers of some nebulous other? "I anticipated that my response would very likely be misinterpreted by people such as yourself," you told Bells, and thus accused that Bells would misinterpret you, endangering or upsetting "the quiet life", if you answered correctly. That is to say, ten paragraphs you spent justifying yourself by accusing a woman.)​

By the time you get to—

—you are explicitly fretting against the human rights of a woman.

And, in going on to argue a fallacious example—

—you only reinforced the prospect that you simply don't understand what you're talking about.

It's also worth noting that when you come around to "one-size-fits-all"↗, the point you try to make in #36↑ above doesn't work because what it refers to, your response to Cluelusshusbund, is an attempt to evade a simple and straightforward acknowledgment of her human rights, resulting in a formulation that you still describe what she is allowed.

If you presume her human rights, you don't need to explain what you would allow because that question goes away.

So, yes, James, not only did you assert a position at odds with an affirmative acknowledgment of the humanity and human rights of women, you insisted, over multiple posts, in excess of three weeks, and even to the point of issuing an infraction and splintering out a thread in order to protect your politics and pride.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sarkus:
    He would have explained that in the first place, if he actually believed there was some inconsistency. That was never his aim, with this.
    It's always good to refresh our memories about the sciforums posting guidelines now and then, and this is right on topic for the current thread. So, here's what our guidelines have to say about trolling:

18. Trolling is the posting of inflammatory posts with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional (often angry) response. Trolls aim to disrupt normal on-topic discussion, often by raising tangential or irrelevant hot-button issues. Trolling posts are intended to incite controversy or conflict and/or to cause annoyance or offence.

Trolls are damaging to online communities because they attempt to pass as legitimate participants in discussions while actually seeking to disrupt normal conversation and debate. If permitted to remain, trolls tend to reduce the level of trust among members in an online community. One consequence may be that truly naive posts are rejected by sensitised members as just more examples of trolling.

Trolls tend to follow certain patterns of behaviour that may include:
    • Posting of similar responses and topics repeatedly.
    • Avoiding giving answers to direct questions put to them.
    • Never attempting to justify their position.
    • Demanding evidence from others while offering none in return.
    • Vanishing when their bluff is called, only to reappear in a different thread arguing the same point.
    • Deliberately derailing discussions onto tangential matters in order to try to control the flow of discussion.
    Trolls are not tolerated on sciforums.

Warning: do not feed the trolls! Do not reply to inflammatory posts or threads and do not reply to insults. Hit the ‘report’ button on the relevant post(s) and let the moderators deal with the matter.

I19. Repetitive or vexatious posting is considered trolling. Sciforums reserves the right to reject contributions that have been widely canvassed in the forum and to reject contributions from participants who seek to dominate the discussion.​

With that in mind, ask yourself the question: what did Tiassa intend when he asked me whether I affirm that woman are human beings who have rights?

Bear in mind that Tiassa has been on sciforums for more than 20 years, along with me. Tiassa has read thousands of my posts, including many concerning woman and probably hundreds on the topic of abortion.

Do you seriously believe that Tiassa was the slightest bit unsure about whether I think women are human beings, or whether I support rights for women?

In the specific context of the thread from which the current thread was split, was I at all unclear about my pro-choice position on abortion? After all, I took a couple of lengthy posts to careful go through why I responded to my own poll in the way I did, in response to questions/objections from Bells.

Do you seriously believe that Tiassa was in any doubt about my pro-choice position on abortion and the right I believe that women should have to choose?

If you are able to conclude that Tiassa was not, in fact, in any doubt about those matters, what are we left with? Why ask that question? The answer is simple: Tiassa's intention was to try to provoke an emotional/angry response from me.

Why would Tiassa want to troll me? Well, think about it. Surely you have some ideas, bearing in mind recent and not-so-recent history, including Tiassa's gradual slide into regularly telling lies and making false accusations. His implied accusation that I do not support human rights for women - or even recognise that women are human beings - was intended to smear my character and to annoy me. Just as importantly, it was another cry for my attention, because Tiassa desperately needs my attention to feel relevant here. It's almost all he has left, having sacrificed his personal reputation and moral integrity some time ago to pursue a pointless personal vendetta, because he thinks doing that is easier than owning his own lies and trying to be a decent human being.

Let's work through the troll list, briefly, shall we?

• Posting of inflammatory posts with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional (often angry) response? Check.
    • Aiming to disrupt normal on-topic discussion, often by raising tangential or irrelevant hot-button issues? Check.
    • Intending to incite controversy or conflict and/or to cause annoyance or offence? Check.
    • Attempting to pass as a legitimate participant in the discussion, while actually seeking to disrupt normal conversation and debate? Check.
    • Posting of similar responses and topics repeatedly? Check.
    • Avoiding giving answers to direct questions put to them? Check.
    • Never attempting to justify their position? Check.
    • Demanding evidence from others while offering none in return? Check.
    • Vanishing when their bluff is called, only to reappear in a different thread arguing the same point? Not in this case, although I would not be at all surprised to see Tiassa try to resurrect this episode at a later date, once it's all over.
    • Deliberately derailing discussions onto tangential matters in order to try to control the flow of discussion? Absolutely. In fact, I felt that it was necessary to split the original thread, since it essentially became all about Tiassa's illusory concerns and his false insinuations, rather than about the topic of Americans' views on abortion.
    Maybe your mileage differs and you honestly can't recognise that Tiassa's posting here is just trolling, and quite obvious trolling at that. If that's the case, I don't think I can help you. It would fit a certain pattern I have observed with you, but that's another story.
    What has happened is that Tiassa has taken some time to come up with a plausible-sounding justification for his initial trolling, after the fact of being called out for it.

If he had had some kind of point to make about this in the first instance, he could have (a) explained his point and (b) couched it in general terms, instead of as a personal attack on a hated opponent.

But, by all means, keep an eye out. Watch to see whether he does actually ever get around to making an argument on the ostensible topic of his trolling. If he doesn't, that will tell you something important. If he does, it will be difficult to draw a useful conclusion; after all, you can be sure that he will have read this post, and he might adjust in response. Tiassa isn't stupid. He knows how to troll and make it look plausible. He is skilled at presenting the facade of the legitimate participant.
    I did not answer his question because (a) he already knew the answer before he posted it; (b) the answer was obvious from everything I had written previously; and (c) it was insulting (due to a and b) and I recognised it as a transparent attempt to troll me, from the start.
    You're way off base. Clearly you don't understand how trolls operate. Blaming the intended victim means that you've fallen for the troll's gambit. But maybe you can't see that.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)
    They unfolded more or less as Tiassa intended them to unfold, except that I called out his trolling. He no doubt expected to get away with it and that he would be able to control the conversation going forward. It's what trolls do.
    Did you ever have any doubt about my position?

Are you with cluelusshusbund (if he's for real), cluelessly floundering about while failing to make the simplest of logical deductions?

If so, please refer to post #53, which I have helpfully provided to help clear up any residual doubts he, you, or others might have about my actual position regarding Tiassa's trolling non-question.
    I hope this post helps you to understand.
    On an intellectual level, yes, I'm interested. On a personal level, I'm not convinced he even thinks that, let alone has any argument to put about it.

I find, these days, that every interaction I have with Tiassa is fruitless and negative. He is all about prosecuting his grudges. He does not post in good faith. He is not honest. I find it hard to get past that. Maybe, buried deep down inside, somewhere, there's some residual ounce of decency in him. I hope there's some shred of cognitive dissonance going on in there, which might eventually bear fruit and lead him out of the moral abyss he has dug for himself.
    I'm always interested in why people think what they think.
    I'm always happy to learn new things. If I am in error, I am willing to change my mind, as usual.
    Something like this was Tiassa's plan from the start. Maybe not quite this, but something like it. The outcome, as usual, is that Tiassa comes out with his reputation once again diminished. I don't know if he has it in him to do better than this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Full disclosure: I was writing posts #55 and #56 when Tiassa posted #54, so I did not read #54 until after posting #55/56.

It is good to see that Tiassa has come up with an argument, even if it is long after the fact. It is more appropriate to insert that argument into the context of the original thread than to discuss it here, since this thread is about Tiassa's trolling. I prefer to keep the substance separated from the bullshit and the lies.

Note that I have copied post #54 to the original abortion thread and have left #54 here, lest I be accused of trying to play fast and loose with the timeline, or something like that.

I will respond to post #54 in the original thread - later.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And thank you for doing so. One challenge in finding common ground for discussion is when others refuse. To wit:

Reasons nobody has thought of, yet?

e.g., Seattle↗, "I voted in most circumstances. I don't really understand what is implied by 'in all circumstances'?"; James R↗, "I voted the same way, for the same reason."​

For instance, Bells and I used to share a joke called "turducken", based on one of these mysterious reasons; a few years before that, we had a colleague who was irreconcilable about his attitudes toward pregnancy, and his version was a revenge story in which a woman decides while in labor to abort in order to get back at a man, and an innocent man, at that. And somewhere along the way, another of our former colleagues simply decided that women did not have human rights; that episode is part of the origin story leading to asking the question at Sciforums.

In the present, we might consider that DaveC426913↗ just came right out and said it: "I reserve the right to assume there are likely circumstances I haven't thought where abortion is contra-indicated."

That is to say, it's hard to find common ground when one cites their own ignorance as the basis for their moral authority.

Thus, one practical reason to refuse to acknowledge and affirm the humanity and human rights of women is if doing so disrupts one's political argument.

To further illustrate: It is striking, in this community, to observe who needs to be spared the burden of answering certain basic questions with yes/no answers. The purpose of that reluctance would actually appear, over the course of years, to be the refusing of common reference points.

This episode, for instance: It's all the difference between what is her right according to human rights, and what is her right according to what any one person would deem worthy.

But there is also this: One cannot protect the question against the whole world for all time, as such, but inasmuch as we have something like ten years at Sciforums in which some have been very reluctant to answer explicitly affirmatively, we can recognize that the question isn't new. We can also observe, of those who would choose to do so now, their prior reluctance remains significant according to what they can tell us about the difference in their outlooks before and after; they are, after all, rolling on one of the biggest and most important questions in the discussion, and what they can tell us about that threshold is very important.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Talk to planets, baby! (Look below.)

It's a Satanic drug thing. You wouldn't understand.

(Actually, it's an old line from an American movie called Friday! The phrase has circulated in revival, for reasons I don't actually know, on social media. It's a colloquial sassy dismissal, and less expensive than an actual mic drop.)

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, why word the poll to include the right to choose in general vs the right to choose in all cases if the point isn't to make people think?

You (and Bells) don't like the extreme examples that I and others have come up with. Your implication is that I think those situations are common (which is not the case) and that if one doesn't pick the absolution choice that it means that one doesn't respect a woman's rights and their humanity (not the case either).

It's a silly reading of the situation and it seems to just be looking for an argument where none exists.

I believe it's called "making a mountain out of a mole hill", right?

It's clear that everyone here is for a woman's right to choose. If you ask someone "How do I look today?" and they say "You look fine" are you then incensed because they didn't say "You look fantastic. I've never seen such a fine specimen of humanity"?

Most reasonable people, when responding to a poll aren't going to pick an ill defined absolute choice.

What if the woman involved is a minor, is mentally incompetent (legally) or has been coerced to abort? Those aren't common, they are possible.

This reading of a response to the number 2 choice in the poll by you and Bells is just silly.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    exchemist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.