Three reasons why it pays off to be an atheist, and one why it doesn't

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by greenberg, Nov 14, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not even the ones who do it for parole considerations or to obtain other benefits accorded to the religious prisoners? Be interesting to find a study that showed a before, during and after of prison belief systems.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If I were in prison, I'd feel much safer in not broadcasting my lack of belief but I absolutely could not pretend to be a theist. I can't do it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not even if Big Joe the Plumber asked you very nicely?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Depends on how they measured it.

The percentage is so low that even strong measurement bias of some kind leaves the general point intact - atheists tend to avoid jail.

Barring actual clergy, the highest percentages of admitted theists in the US are found in jail, in the military, and in the legislature.

The lowest are found in the science faculties of top-ranked universities.

The immediate pattern is the prevalence of coercion of consent.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like I said, atheists tend to avoid politics even more. So, I'd like something other than their profession of faith while incarcerated as an indicator.

Over here, I would wonder at coercion in reverse. Don't think that scientists are not intimidated into concealing their beliefs. Look at Dawkins. How many people who work under him would discuss their beliefs you think? According to some, it negatively affects upward mobility in academia.

9. Roman Banned Banned

I don't get why this is all such a big deal.

Is there any reason to believe in something that you made up? It seems like unnecessary headache.