Thread Deletion and Infraction

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Anti Matter, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anti Matter Registered Member

I am posting this thread to get a scope of the problem, and why a warning infraction was issued to me, and my thread deleted.

Situation: (Posted in the Chemistry Section)
    I started the thread off with a disclaimer requesting that no one reply to my thread about safety or about DHS or whatever Governmental agency is going to kick my door down.

First question was [deleted by moderator - again]

I also asked [deleted]

Here's what I got instead of safety information:
    Dear Anti Matter,
    You have received a warning at SciForums.com.
    Reason:
    -------
    Inappropriate Language

Your bomb-making thread has been deleted from sciforums.

Please take your questions to a different forum.

So please can anyone tell me how this is breaking the not posted nor clearly defined rules of that section. None of what I said was illegal in any form or fashion, NOR was it at all "inappropriate language". All I wanted to do is find out some safety information.

Bomb making? Really?

So if I could please get an Admin's ruling on this, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

trippy is no dumbass. case closed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anti Matter Registered Member

Trippy has nothing to do with this. Thanks for your input.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

being a chemist and the mod of the chemistry forum i'm afraid he does buddy.

edit:
    in the thread you started you said you did not want anyone giving you any safety information because you had taken all necessary precautions.
    so don't come down here and proclaim you was seeking safety information.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. Anti Matter Registered Member

I'm just curious which section/forum do you moderate over again, cause I must have missed your name on the Forum Leader's list.

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

the pain in your ass forum. ask james.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Trippy runs a tight forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Here, since the math to figure out chemistry isn't necessary for my major, and math beats me up badly... I shall hope the wikipedia entry is good enough.

I figure you have good intentions. Probably.

However, it's not so much what you might do with the info as what some other reader might? Some malignant reader?

I guess Trippy doesn't want the info disseminated? Or to risk getting the site shut down.

11. Anti Matter Registered Member

Thank you chimpkin, but most have missed my point. I'm not looking to make thermite, because I already have, I'm looking for [deleted by moderator]

This is not even on topic to the discussion here.

Thank you leopold99 for the mature answer, you make a shining example of the caliber of members they want here. Since you are established here with your 13k+ posts I'm sure you think you have the right to come in here and tell me who did and didn't place an infraction on me, when I CLEARLY saw that it was not Trippy, because it ACTUALLY SAYS who gave the infraction in the message body.

Thank you again leopold99 for your input, this is the last time that I will respond to an obvious troll attempt.

In response to your edit:
    You must have mis-read it, because the meaning I was conveying was: I don't want to be lectured on how making thermite is unsafe, nor do I want to hear about DHS is going to be kicking my door down.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A brief review

I presume you have a pyrotechnic or other applicable license to manufacture explosive materials.

Of course, if you did, then you would already either know the answer, or where to get it.

Therein lies part of the issue. A vital component.

I'm not certain exactly how you missed that.

And, of course, there is the question of how you might miss that someone has come to our website and without interacting with anyone else starts asking for advice on the manufacture and handling of an explosive material—this sets off a few alarm bells. Which leads us back to the earlier considerations. Okay, so it's harmless; you're a licensed pyrotechnician. Which, of course, suggests that you should already know the answer to your question, or else where to find it. A few more alarm bells.

Your opening disclaimer about legalities doesn't do anything to silence those alarms. You claim to have already made the thermite, and want [deleted]. This suggests you're looking to discharge it in a specific way.

Quite frankly, you're giving us reason to revisit the decision, indeed. But the primary question is whether simply deleting the thread was sufficient.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

wrong.
    james would probably kick my door down and beat my ass if he knew where i lived.
    where did i say trippy gave you an infraction?
    i am just responding to what you post.
    then why didn't you state that in your opening post in the deleted thread?
    you explicitly stated that you did not want to be lectured about safety because "i have taken all necessary precautions", then come down here and say you wanted some safety tips.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  14. leopold Valued Senior Member

uh oh.

15. Anti Matter Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure if you know this but the components of thermite are extremely easy to come by, no license needed, [components deleted]

I don't want [deleted], I already have one, just seeing if it would be safe to use, and the reason I would like to [deleted]

As far as discharging in a specific way? Only way I'll be discharging it is by [deleted]

Revisit the situation if need be, but my opinion still stands that I shouldn't have been issued an infraction for "Inappropriate language" in which I don't think I've ever said anything inappropriate on this site.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

you can buy what what you are looking for over the counter if you knew where to go and what to ask for.

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

a Big Mac in Muslim country?

18. Anti Matter Registered Member

It's not that easy in Texas AFAIK...

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

a Big Mac?

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

That doesn't mean anything - the ingredients for Gunpowder, Black powder, Nitroglycerine, RDX and Mustard Gas are also all easy to come by.

Most laws specify permit requirements based on quantities. In the UK, at least, you need a permit for manufacturing/posessing more than 1g of any pyrotechnic (which includes thermite).

I might be in error here, but I believe that Tiassa was enquiring as to what you were wanting to use the Thermite for in the first place.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Brief notes

The components, sure. But considering information from the Department of Insurance in your state, the manufacture, storage, and use of pyrotechnic materials require various licenses depending on the activity and application.

Consider it a lexical limitation of the options at hand. We might suggest that it is inappropriate as you are apparently asking advice on the illegal manufacture of pyrotechnic materials.

22. Anti Matter Registered Member

Thank you both for logical answers, at this point I have no further problems with the actions taken in response to my thread and questions. While it seems that others did not take this thread serious I appreciate your professionalism in this matter, and thank you for your time.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

how did you know?
    actually i was talking about beans and bourbon. an explosive combination for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.