Thousands of Religious Sects - Which one is right?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Jan 17, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

nds1
    actually the point about introducing the 7up was to illustrate how the original concept (water or religion) can be corrupted yet still functional (7up quenches thirst, although it is not sufficient to replace water)

drinking seven up will serve the same purpose as drinking water in most circumstances, similarly religious principles corrupted by material desire, philosophical deviation etc can still serve the same purpose as religion (offering a degree of purification/transcendental knowledge) but it will not be sufficient to serve the ultimate purpose of religion (attaining the state of transcendence)
    careful examination

Just as there are tests one can do to determine the quality of water there are tests one can do to determine the credibility of a theistic practitioner - however part of that testing process involves the seer coming to a degree of purity themselves (it would not be expected that a grossly sinful person would be capable of nousing the spiritual mettle of a practitioner)
    once again, this is a large topic of discussion in scripture, and one a spiritual practitioner will spend a great deal of their time wrestling with

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nds1 Registered Senior Member

LG,

Do you believe that everything in the Gospels of Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John literally is true and literally happened exactly as it is written?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I think it would be better to ask about the Vedas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nds1 Registered Senior Member

But LG is searching for the truth, and must have "carefully examined" the four gospels of Jesus (or that vessel). So I'm hoping LG could enlighten me from his careful examination of the Bible as to whether the gospels are literally true or not.

8. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Have you read Deuteronomy 5:6-21 or Exodus 20:2-17 - the 10 commandments, issued by the god himself as per Judaism and Christianity ? That is pretty descriptive on the nature of YEHWEH. Jesus, ofcourse, refers YEHWEH as god/father.

Now enlighten us, who do mean by god in your post ? Krishna/Vishnu or YEHWEH ?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

because of the italics, its better you ask a Christian practitioner

I mentioned earlier that he comprehension of such things is not so much dependent on reading but on coming in contact with a person established in knowledge by dint of practice

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Suppose we were describing an apple
    here is an example that would describe its nature (maybe nature is not quite the right word) - found on apple trees
    here is somethings that would describe its qualities - red, crunchy, sweet
    (notice how descriptions of nature are more specific than descriptions of qualities, after all a red iceblock is also red, crunchy and sweet)

Its not clear how your references to scripture and god being a 'father' are supposed to help your argument (after all, 'father' is a qualitative and not a singular term"

In other words if krishna is described as having all the qualities you mention belonging to YEHWEH, and if YEHWEH has no personal descriptions, its not clear on what grounds you are raising a contention

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually once your search is over (ie when you come to the point of being convinced) the only unanswered question is that of practical application

12. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Why couldn't I ask a Hindu practitioner if Hindus believe all 4 gospels are literally true?

13. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Because a hindu who believed that the 4 gospels where literally true would not longer be a hindu. You cannot ask such a question because such a person does not exist.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

14. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Why? As far as I know, Hindus believe that people can have supernatural abilities...I think.

15. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Thank you Adstar.

So you've proved my point that different religions have different contradicting beliefs, and only ONE or NONE of them can be right.

One or both of the religions must have false beliefs.

The Hindus do not believe Jesus is second to God and is the MOST IMPORTANT figure in the history of God.

The Christians believe Jesus IS in fact second to God and is the MOST IMPORTANT figure in the history of God.

There are an array of other contradicting beliefs, but this one is the most prevalent.

Jesus either IS or IS NOT second to God. It is one or the other.

So one of these religions must have a greater percentage of truth in their claims.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

It would be more productive if you could present the conclusions (or rather your interpretations of the conclusions, which could be slightly - or vastly - different from the conclusions of a christian practioner) of the gospels and see how they relate to that presented in the vedas.

generally such comparisons lead to a similar essence and a few peripheral differences

17. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Apple and red iceblock don't describe themselves in any scripture. But YEHWEH and Krshna are quite descriptive about themselves , in scriptures.

My argument? Nonsense. I have a question not argument. All I need is a direct answer from you. You asked the description on the nature of YEHWEH, i gave the descrption of him, from scriptures, whom Jesus represents.

The descriptions do not tally, that is why the question. They are tallying for you ?

18. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

A hindu can go beyond the scriptural descriptions (both hindu and christian) of God. But there are certain hindus and christians who stick to their respective scriptures and try to bend the "god of the other" as per their understanding and interest.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

perhaps you could give some references to the qualities or nature of YEHWEH because its not clear what is being discussed.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

needless to say, this is wrong - if you don't define a hindu, or any religious practioner, by the related scriptures, it begs the question how do you define them

http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/091.htm

21. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Well i have proven nothing, But as a believer in the Gospels i do believe there is only one way to God and that is via Jesus.

Well if a God exists and If He wants us to know His will then one teaching must be right. Its up to each person who believes in God to seek that truth out. What people agree with and what they reject will be what either saves them or condemns them. It's up to us.

Well there is some wishy washy people who do their best to mix all teachings on God out of a sense of trying to bring about unity. But there can be no unity between truth and lies. Those that seek to mix the two out of a misguided desire for unity are only engaged in deception, a great delusion. Its not only that, but it is also complete waste of time.

The nature of Jesus God and the Holy Spirit is not as clear cut as that nds 1.

John 14
    6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7 “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”
    8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
    9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

22. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

If you are worshipping any one of the hindu gods or
    just even born to hindu parents and don't bother to worship any of the hindu gods or any other god, still you are a hindu by default. That is the beauty of hinduism. No one can force down a scripture or criteria on you to get qualified as a hindu.

23. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

It is already given. Go back and read the references. Hard to answer a simple question ? That is the problem with being dubious.