"Thou shalt not paste"

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by notPresidentAndrew, Jan 26, 2003.

1. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

[/QUOTE]Most of us who are involved in discussion tend to favour actual proof and real debate method.[/QUOTE]

yeah...like spookz said...nonsense...if one KNOWS what one is talking about one WOULDN'T feel the insecure need to keep throwing/ejaculting links in after every few sentences .. as if to ascertain that what he is trying to put across is indeed genuine and correct...so correct it outweighs whatever anybody else in the thread might actually be trying to explain. it sort of fosters a type of close-mindedness..IMHO.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I can't believe I'm actually reading the words you've written, pumpkins.

Here, I'll make a claim:
    The Earth revolves around Mars

To which most normal human beings would reply:
    Uh, can you back that up?

But, according to your method, if I simply "know what I'm talking about" in terms of my initial claim - there is no reason for me to prove it. It's like in the debate we had about capital punishment, pumpkins. A few members of that debate stated the fact that the death penalty is statisticly proven to be no more of a deterint to crime than life in prison. Your reply;
    bs on the studies

You have to understand that when you enter into discussion, pumpkins, you make a choice. Do you want an actual debate, or do you simply want a place to say your opinion without having to back it up in any way?

Look back at my initial claim. If I chose the latter option we would leave the thread you considering me an idiot and I considering myself still right. If we chose to debate, I would be proven wrong.

This is a debate forum. Don't get involved with a thread unless you want to actually substantiate your claims. Okey dokey?

(The above does not imply a link is necessary. Though, on internet, it is generally the easiest method to show scientificly taken statistics)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Actually, pumpkins, as I re-read the capital punishment thread (http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16955) it becomes evidently you've just completely contradicted yourself.

You asked a person to say what they would want if their daughter was brutally raped and murdered and such. They replied that they would want life in prison. Your reply.....

"I am sorry, i know you believe what you are saying, but, the easiest person to fool is ourselves...did you realize that. i don't believe that if your daughter were brutally murdered, sodomized and raped you would sit by passively and ask the judge for leniency for the creep, you would want"

Now how in blue fuck does this coincide with...
    ...if one KNOWS what one is talking about one WOULDN'T feel the insecure need to keep throwing/ejaculting links in after every few sentences

Seems to me most people know themselves and their emotions better than you know how every other human being would react. But then agian, maybe you're god - I frankly don't know.

Oh, and...
    " if to ascertain that what he is trying to put across is indeed genuine and correct"

Yes, pumpkins, this is the point of debate. I'm afraid you have a gross misunderstanding of the word "debate".

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Oh, and note the smiley face under spookz' post, pumpkins. He's simply saying we all are poor debaters.

8. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Tyler... poor debaters? that could be debated...

i think your choice of words should be "inadequate"...but, then, i would be accused for playing "god" by putting words/ideas into your mouth... and, yes.. we are...especially you and i are inadequate debaters...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

btw.. i was aware of spookz's smilie... i think that sometimes you yourself might try play god by gazing into your crystal ball, tyler...you seem to think you know me ....you don't know me nor my sense of character, humor or intelligence,etc...and, i dont' know yours. can we really judge another on this board merely from past posts? lord almighty, help us, then.

and, the Nitrogen thread of mine...at least i didn't use any links...so, who on earth can you say i am contradicting myself. if i have something to say, and i feel i know enough about the subject , i say it..without having to resort to links.

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

You just don't get it, pumpkins. I don't feel I know you at all. I'm simply saying that you're making poor debate if you don't want to back it up with proof.

It's a simple, simply choice:
    (a) Use actual proofs to back up your case (in some debates, such as those entirely philosophical, it is not always necessary to use statistics or actual facts - but in many debates such as capital punishment statistics are a valuabe tool.) and you will have other people willing to debate with you and it will be an actual debate.

(b) Make baseless claims, have no one care for your opinion and not be engaged in debate.

I would say you are free to do the latter, but this is a debate forum and I believe that in serious debate it is detrimental to the thread to have someone come in and say "This is my opinion, fuck the facts, they're wrong!" You cannot say "bs on the facts" and expect to be taken seriously.

If this is what you consider discussion, there are plenty of areas to do this - I suggest AOL or Yahoo Groups.

10. spookz Banned Banned

tyler
    i only see sheep in your future

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Spookz

.. what do you mean about the sheep..as far as following them do you mean (you know the old expression about sheep following sheep right off a high cliff) or do you mean loving them...is that what you mean ?? did you forsee that in your crystal balls...

tyler....just messin' with ya....