This is what bible says about worshipping other Gods

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Joeman, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

You suppose to kill your brother, son, or daughter, or wife if they worship other Gods.

Edit to add: If you are another Christian apologists who are going to say don't interpret this literally, please spare me. I have heard that too many times. Basically interpret good things from bible literally and not bad things. Give me a break.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Actually, it seems to point more towards trying to convert you away from your worship of the "true" god. But, by these standards, many of us in here would be dead already...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jojo Registered Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

So, Jojo, this is another example of read some parts but not other parts? Doesn't this strike you as hypocritical?

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Says nothing about your sister or father or any other people. Any other people notice that?

9. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

That would be closest friend Athelwulf.

10. jojo Registered Member

what make you say it as hypocritical?

scriptures were written from different time place and purpose, our time is different from the time of Moses. God spake to us in different time and manners as written in Hebrew 1:1-2

1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds

example 1: If God instructed Noe to build a ship for the salvation of his family then thats was for Noe, and not for you. You don't have to build your own ship!

example 2: God in the old time accept the sacrificial burning offerrings, but now God does not need it anymore because God has new instruction offereing to God through Jesus Christ. If you follow this new instruction then you are practically not following the old method of offering (which was also written as the law of Moses). Its God Himself instructed you not to follow other parts (old law). you can not follow the old law simultaneously with the new law.
    as the Bible said:
    Hebrews 18:8-9
    10:8 Above when he(God) said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
    10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first (old law), that he may establish the second (gospel).

===== CONCLUSION =======
    there is no hypocritical in my response, you also have to understand who are those people where the Bible is talking to.
    ========================

regards,
    jocel_gomez
    member of Church of God International
    http://www.angdatingdaan.org/main.php
    http://www.angdatingdaan.org/segments/segments.htm
    http://webtv.angdatingdaan.net/

11. GuitarToadster Packin' six-string heat! Registered Senior Member

Who? Your sister or your father? He's just pointing out human error in the writings. Ooops, I forgot, you think these are actually what "god" said!

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Gee, how nice of you to tell me what I think.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I am tempted to use the word - .

13. GuitarToadster Packin' six-string heat! Registered Senior Member

Of course it is hypocritical, if "god" said to stone your brother if he wants to worship another "god" then, by "god" that is what you should do if you plan to live your life by the scripture.

You can't pick and chose what you want to, then you are deciding for yourself what "god" wants you to do. Kinda not what "god" had in mind, is it? He told you not to covet your neighbor's wife but you think that was then and in today's free world people like to sleep around so now that doesn't apply to you, now does it?

The examples could go on for days but no matter what, you seem blinded by your own faith. Get a life, put the book away, go have fun, and live your life as "god" intended. Stop wasting time at church and find your own way in life. "God" has nothing to do with it.

"God" also said construct no golden idols in my likeness or something like that and live poor but I don't see too much of that happening at most churches.

Religion is usually just an excuse for those who sin to make themselves feel better... "maybe if I pray for forgiveness, I will go to heaven." Even though you are a habitual offender.

Sin. Pray. Repent. Sin. Pray. Repent. (repeat as neccessary)

14. GuitarToadster Packin' six-string heat! Registered Senior Member

I have read your posts. I understand english pretty well and interpret what people say or write fairly well also. From what I gather your are religious to some degree. Which means you would believe that there is some truth to religious writings. That would about sum up how I interpretted your response.

Don't scare me with your temptations to use vulgar language!!! My god! Speak your mind or forever hold your peace.

15. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Ok Joeman try this:

In the Old Testament times the Penalty for worshipping Gods other than the God of Abraham was death.

likewise today the penalty for worshipping Gods other than the God of Abraham is death.

So why did the OT jews carried out that death penalty while today’s followers of Jesus do not carry out this death penalty today?

The OT jews carried out the death penalty because they where instructed to do so by the God of Abraham. They where being obedient to the Will of God.
    You see the Law is still the Law, But for followers of The Messiah Jesus the punishment of the Law has been taken away from us and is now held by a judge who is perfect in its application. You see the penalty for Sin is still death. It is the eternal death of the lake of fire. So when it comes to the penalty nothing has changed. What has changed is who and when that penalty is carried out.

So there you go Joeman

and my answer did not include one mention of "literal interpretation" .... opps

LOL

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

16. Halcyon Guest

I like how the bible doesn't say anything about there being only one god, just one true god as far as you followers are concerned. The Christian God aknowledges the existance of other gods to be worshipped, but don't you dare.

Is there in fact a piece of scripture which denies the existance of other gods? One that I missed over the years? To the best of my recollection this viewpoint is accurate, but I'm always more than willing to be proven wrong.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How do you know if you are worshipping the right God? Because of the name? People have different names for God in every culture. God didn't define how to worship correctly, people did. So, I can define for myself what is appropriate worship, and what I call God, right?

18. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Since there is only one God, I would expect no such conflict arises.

19. Halcyon Guest

Doesn't appear the bible supports that outlook.

20. TheERK Registered Senior Member

Are you saying that 'spiritual death' and physical death are the same thing? By saying that the punishment is the same today, this is what you are admitting.

No, you're making all of this up. Show me a passage in the Bible where it says 'Alright, don't follow those commandments anymore; leave it up to God.' If it is better to leave the punishment up to God, then why wasn't it that way before, in the OT? Why did the commandment EVER exist?

Complete nonsense.

21. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

jojo,

So what are implying is that it was OK for us to kill our brothers, sisters, wives in ancient times but not now right? Because wev'e learnt how to interpret God's word differently now, right?

Kat

22. Fallen Angel life in every breath Registered Senior Member

uhm, i think you peoples forget that religion is the invention of man to set up a stable society back in the day where belief was the only way to do it. uhm, notice a "second coming" of religion in the middle ages when the prior governments fell apart? notice the decline of religion in our nation state world?

23. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Then in the parts of the bible where god is supposedly speaking about himself, why does he say 'we', as if there is more than one god?