Thiaoouba Prophecy?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by exsto_human, Nov 2, 2003.

?

What's your opinion?

1. Don't Believe

44 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Believe

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Know

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. cookie man Registered Member

well, I don't know about the rest of those guyz...
    I DID in fact only come here to talk about the book
    after reading it I googled the name thiaoouba and found this forum.

after reading everything you had to say I posted my opinion
    and btw i'm not saying that the book is true, i'm still undecided about that.

if you automatically think the book is wrong of course you'll think anyone defending it is working for chalko...

now here is my onest opinion after reading chalko's "meaning of life"...
    chalko is either a fraud or an idiot (no offence if anyone really is working for him) possibly both.... the guy really has a lot to learn yet.
    on the other hand micheal doesn't seem to me as anyone I should be worried about.
    i want you guyz to answer a question of mine -
    what does micheal stand to gain if he really gets a big audience for his book?
    (let's assume they all downloaded the book for free online)
    and what does anyone stand to lose by following the advice writen in the book?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cookie man Registered Member

oh...and another thing
    what can i possibly do or say (besides telling you i decided that i don't believe what the book has to say) that will prove i'm not working for anyone related to that book?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

If after having read some of Chalkos material and upon agreeing that he is as you say either a complete moron or a complete fraud, I have no doubt that you are a sensible person.

Now simply putting down people only for the sake of doing it is not much of a pass-time. But when people buy into certain things that quite obviously just wrong, it becomes a more serious issue.

Now who justifies right and wrong you may ask, I think the answere to this is something we need to discover by ourselves. Not by the word of someone else.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cookie man Registered Member

well, I can't prove the book is either true or not, so everything written in it remains as "possibly true"...or not
    for me it means that I wont do anything purely for the sake of what is written in the book.
    what intrests me the most right now is the fact the micheal seems to have no motive to write this book.
    If the book is available for free online than he makes no money out of it...
    the only other reason I can think of to write this book would be out of general concern for society (this has no implications on whether what is written in it is true or not).
    but if it is false than why add all kinds of other useless 'information'
    e.g. how sound can hurt our astral body and things of the sort

8. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Money, status, and prestige are powerful motivators.

http://www.meanwell.com.au/page2.html

For AUD $95, you can attend workshops by the only two people authorized by the Thiaouba author to teach the material:
    You can even get a 3 cd set of interviews with Michel Desmarquet for AUD $65 ($55 if you live in Australia).

9. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Well done SkinWalker, you seem to have found the missing link in the puzzle.

10. rkpulley Registered Member

Is it possible that some of the money raised could one day be put into university library of pay for college courses. Maybe some of the so called capitalist scheme money may actually go towards a foundation or eco-system project. Helping world understand about pollution and remedies would cost a great deal would it not..It is not all about cash in the till my friends. Lets not judge about the excessive cash unless you see these guys driving mercedes benz and living lifes of opulance and excess.
    Instead remember if at the very least we have a greater understanding about the fragile world we live in, or possible enhanced spirituality, the book(which I have read) could be the starting point to help change the same old life as we have been accustom to. I for one believe in much of it, and maybe that is really all that counts.
    Peace I am out!

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Sure. That's all possible. But isn't it possible that the so-called "capitalist scheme" is going to booze, weed and chicks?

But, hey, as long as you believe in it, that's all that matters.

12. rkpulley Registered Member

Please by all means...anybody...salaries and company spending is a thing which is recorded. Go and find the reports of these people and bring up a charge of alligation if there is one. First let us start with the federal earning sheets and income tax reports for persons, and business. It would be very interesting to find out if there is substance to some clouds of doubt.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. cookie man Registered Member

Well...I think i'm finally resolved.
    and not because i came to a conclusion on whether the book is true or not, but because I realized that it is irrelevant.
    I consider most of the advice in the book to be good advice, although I don't know about things such as noise and sound pollution.
    you can always find excuses to prove the book is true or false, it might be a self-help book with a twist(money making scam),
    or it can be a description of actuall events and michael just decided it can be *profitable* (against the purpose of the book).
    the book's perspective on the monitery system is actully in my opinion quite advance, perhapse too advance for us,
    because making a new system that does not require trade will require a lot, and I mean A LOT of good will from people,
    in other words it will require people to work without being paid (at least not directly, now how many people are willing to do that?).
    on the other hand...you wont have to pay for anything, but again you'll have to have good will and use other people's efforts moderatly.

I think i got a little of subject...a word of advice to anyone who reads this book -
    always use wise discrimination, don't accept anything that doesn't seem logical, and remember the difference between belief and knowledge -
    knowledge is something you experienced therfore you know it is true
    belief is an idea of something you did not experience and you can accept or reject it according to your knowledge.
    always remember that knowldege is stronger than belief.

14. rkpulley Registered Member

Whats if the worst thing that happens is we download the free book and some how become more aware of our planetary circle and this fragile rock we live on. If we become more spiritual and aware because of this book.....it was free....not to dam shabby if you ask me. Hell the french revolution started when someone was giving away cake ...what do ya say! This single book weither true or not could make all of us think just a little harder about this planet and each other..hell just for once think of the big picture instead of your wallets.

15. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

In just the first six pages, Desmarquet makes several fallacious comments and un-testable, but pseudoscientific, appeals to the reader's intellect. He might as well state that there exists in his garage a dragon and that it cannot be disproved because he can give a reason for every test conceived: invisible, weightless, non-corporeal, etc. To those that have read it, I'm borrowing Dr. Sagan's analogy in Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

Desmarquet relies heavily on pseudoscience to make his point right from the beginning. There's a dialog between he and Thao where she points out that Desmarquet arrived at a "parallel universe" through a "warp" such as that which exists at the Bermuda Triangle.

It should be noted that the so-called Bermuda Triangle has never been demonstrated to be anything more than a region of increased ship/airplane traffic due to its geography: warm climate, high population among the Caribbean islands, historically important agricultural center, tourism, etc. Statistically, there is no more significance of catastrophic loss of ships, planes, and people than any other region of the world when the level of traffic is considered. This, however, is lost to significance junkies who only see a large number of "unexplained" losses and cling to the stories told by those who love a good mystery.

The Bermuda Triangle anecdote is Desmarquet's first fallacious statement.

But his convenient use of "parallel universes" and "warps" to them is a pseudoscientific attempt at appealing to the un-testable. This is the dragon in his garage.

The Parallel Universe anecdote is Desmarquet's first pseudoscientific appeal to the un-testable.

Before even arriving at page 6, Desmarquet says that Thao informs him that he is in a world where "time has stopped" and the people there (some for as long as 15,000 years) don't age and their bodies don't rot. Moreover, the people that Thao has to kill who are approaching he and Desmarquet, and are have been there 15,000 years, apparently don't have language facilities but utter "guttural sounds." Perhaps Desmarquet is under the impression that 15,000 years ago, people on Earth were cave men and without language or culture and were "stuck" this way upon entering the "warp" to the "parallel universe."

This is a fallacious assumption since we have an archaeological record that demonstrates that not only were H. sapiens capable of language, they apparently lived in villages and some creative abilities. In addition, these people had art. Moreover, one would not be presumptuous to assume that they would have developed this culture and technology in the 15,000 years that they were away from their home universe.

The a priori assumption that people didn't have enough culture to speak 15,000 years ago is Desmarquet's second fallacious statement.

The notion that time can simply "stop" is Desmarquet's second pseudoscientific appeal to the un-testable.

And that is only before page 6! The rest of the book continues on the same grain. They travel "several times faster than the speed of light," etc.

But not a shred of evidence to any of it. That leaves only a few possibilities:

1) Desmarquet is telling the truth and the events did occur as he retold them.
    2) Desmarquet is telling the truth as he believes it, and the events did not occur at all.
    3) Desmarquet is telling the truth as he believes it, and some of the events occurred.
    4) Desmarquet is lying.

I think we can rule out number 1 based solely on the Bermuda Triangle statement. The Bermuda Triangle is not a mystery and there is nothing more mysterious about it than most other places ships go. But I can see where there would be an argument against my position on that, since it's human nature to be a 'significance junkie' and be impressed with numbers. Otherwise, politicians wouldn't attempt to appeal to voters with them, ad agencies wouldn't live and breath them, and baseball would be boring.

I also think we can dismiss number 4, though not quite as readily as number 1. To tell a story this detailed and say it's true, you have to believe some part of it. If not, you must really think the rest of the world is more gullible than even P.T. Barnum did.

That leaves 2 and 3. If it's 3, then perhaps Desmarquet had an experience that seemed mystical to him, but occurred right her on solid Earth. There are numerous recorded instances in both contemporary times as well as in ancient history in which people were duped into believing that they "passed into another world." These types of events usually occur after the participant partakes in rituals of repetition, physical stress, and/or ingestion of chemical agent. For some, these events have been so real, so vivid, and so "enlightening," they believed them to be religious experiences. And they probably were religious. If not with some actual deity, then by some stimulation of the alleged "god module" of the brain.

But number 2 is my bet. I think Desmarquet started his fantasy as a fiction but then "went native." He came to believe that he was a part of something "bigger than himself." Something grandiose. This is where he satisfies that need for fulfillment and achievement of status that is present in us all, particularly in those that claim not to covet it. In short, he's delusional.

Consider this passage (p. 148):

Pure bunk. "Neutralising the cold magnetic force by raising certain high frequency vibrations" is nothing but pseudoscientific gibberish. It sounds scientific, but only to the undereducated. Vibrations are present in matter, but their frequency doesn't affect their "weight." Raising vibrations to higher frequencies doesn't negate the attraction that the mass of the given bit of matter has on the mass of other matter. Indeed, the methods by which monumental architecture was built in Mesoamerica or Northern Africa (several thousand years and even more thousand miles apart, I might add) are relatively well known and understood. There was no "levitation" as Desmarquet suggests. It wasn't needed.

But the most significant bit of information that Desmarquet cites in that passage is the mythical city of Atlantis and the fictional city of Mu. The former is mostly a modern myth, not even an ancient one. Plato invented it for his dialogs Critias and Timaeus when he criticized the state of Athens for its incursions against the Persians. It was not until Ignatius Donnelly wrote Atlantis: the Antediluvian World in1882 that Atlantis actually gained any popularity.

Mu, however, is an entirely fictional city that was created in the mind of “Colonel” James Churchward. He stated that Mu was a highly advanced civilization that existed on a continent in the Pacific Ocean, which sank after the "explosion" of "gas pockets," leaving only Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, and Easter Island. When Mu sank, massive worldwide earthquakes caused all civilization to collapse into savagery. Not surprisingly, the good "colonel" provides not a shred of evidence, only his "word" that he translated correctly the stone tablets that told the tale; the same tablets that have never been seen by anyone except the good "colonel."

His word from 1924 doesn't stand up to even the most rudimentary of scientific examinations today. The islands he mentioned are created by well-understood volcanic process that involves "hot spots" under the crust and plate tectonics. If a continent ever existed in the region, it would be extremely obvious and quite visible to magnetometer examinations of the sort that have occurred extensively in the region he suggested.

So Desmarquet is piggybacking the fictions of at least two sources independent of him: Plato and Churchwood. That alone, validates numbers 2 and 3 above.

And we haven't even discussed the nonsense about the world exploding due to man's poor stewardship of the planet. Such grandiose delusions have been associated with UFO nutters for over 50 years. Indeed, Heaven's Gate and the Raelians adapted this theme within their own "manifestos."

It seems clear that Desmarquet is simply a cult of personality. It is no accident that there is a cottage industry around his book.

16. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

hehe.

If you accept the 'logic' and unfounded claims in this book. Then you should try reading some of Aleister Crowlys work, Helena P. Blavatskyies theosophy, Anton LaVey's Satanic Verses. Have you read about Scientology?

The logic provided in these works are usualy even better founded than this so called thiaoouba (perhaps with the exception of LaVey. For example pick up Blavatskies 'The Secret Doctrine' and then try to disprove one thing in it.

17. rkpulley Registered Member

yes good points Skinwalker, well put...I am also very familiar with the Bermuda triangle. I kinda live close to it. I don't believe that stuff about some sort of portal. It is a very dangerous area where 2 major currents collide off Cape Hatteras and continues down. The atlantic and Labridor current. Also Cape hatteras was always known by us here in the mid atlantic for a place of unfortunate nautical events.

Maybe I should say about this book more clearly is we could benefit from a closer look at our present conditions here on earth and our self is the essense of what I gather.There are many hockie things about it..when I make the comment I believe ..I believe the good that could come out of people concentrating on self improvement and global issues.

18. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

The world is fucked no matter what I do.

But I'm still going to go live in a tree. The world no longer concerns me! :b

19. Robanan Registered Senior Member

Indeed, money making exercises are not very welcome. What do you suggest?

20. Robanan Registered Senior Member

Noone can say that has become more spiritual just because he/she has spent money on it, anyway.

21. Robanan Registered Senior Member

Maybe there is something wrong with your scientific evidence? (I would like to become informed of it and discuss it)

In general The scientific evidence that you are talking about must be seriously inhibited by the way they are found and the limits of the technology available for searching and finding such evidence.

What is your outlook on "where to" the scientific establishment that we have today is leading us?

I find it intrestingly amusing that those who consider the book to be "crap and bullshit" are not "really" intrested to find out if any of the content of the book that is possible to make subject to research and verification is true or not.

Such kind of people are really hopeless since they seem unable to imagine the impact, effect and the result of changes, the information given in the book can make on the whole humanity on earth, providing that "if" what is written in the book is "true" meaning that the spiritual/technological way of progress explained in the book can really be achieved.

22. Robanan Registered Senior Member

I think you should if you say so... :bugeye:

23. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Pascal's Wager applied to the Thiaoouba "Prophecy?"

Desmarquet uses the fictional tools of "Mu" and "Atlantis" and expects his readers to accept that his own fictions "might" be true?

I'm all for protecting and conserving our environment and our humanity, but Desmarquet is still either lying or a nut.