There are no logical arguments against God!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Light Travelling, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Arguments against God are invariably only arguments against a particular definition of God, or against how a certain religions beliefs logically contradict a particular definition of God.

But if you strip away the various religious beliefs and doctrines that contradict each other. There is no logical argument against God.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. comisaru Registered Senior Member

Right.
    The real issue is that there is no logical argument for God.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. the preacher fur is loose 666 Registered Senior Member

well put comisaru, when you strip it all away whats left, "Nothing".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Sure you can.

Words are symbols that refer to concepts or objects.
    Ideas and objects are things that exist.
    Without definition the symbol "God" has no meaning.
    If the symbol "God" has no meaning it doesn't refer to anything that exists.
    Therefore the symbol "God" refers to nothing.
    Nothing is non-existence.
    Therefore "God" does not exist.

~Raithere

8. gOn Guest

There's a general idea that there is some sort of purpose in the Universe. Science tells a story how matter organizes itself from a simple beggining. Why is that, i don't no. Mybe matter designs itself. Or maybe not.
    I don't see nothing in science that says that there is no God. On the contrary...

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But if you strip away the various religious beliefs and doctrines that contradict each other. There is no logical argument against God.

You just provided a logical argument against the existence of gods. Bravo!

10. gOn Guest

Lol. Anyway, we all agree with one thing about the idea of God. He's a creator of a nature that reveals something like a general purpose...

11. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

No, because the belief in god is not a logical one, nor does it claim to be a logical one. The argument for god does not use logic.

Those who seek to disprove the existence of god use logic to try and do this. But this logic can only be used against human attempts to define god, not against god itself.

These quotes are from Hazrat Inayat Khan, a sufi teacher.

"All things existing have their opposite except god; it is for this reason that god cannot be made intelligible."
    "The god who is itelligible to man is made by man - what is beyond intelligence is the reality"

These quotes are from Guru Nank, founder of Sihkism.

"The formless supreme being abides in the realms of eternity" Guru Nanak.
    "You are the creator, the lord, the unknowable" Guru Nanak.

These religious thinkers - believers in god, will not try to define god or to make god intelligible to logical thought. From what you say above it would seem like they are trying to disprove god. But they are not, far from it!

So by refusing to define god, are we proving non existence. I think not.

12. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

You can't argue logically for or against a diety any more than you can argue for or against flying saucers. Ultimately, it come down to a question of reasonableness.

It's reasonable to believe in something I can't prove. After all, there's no alternative. If something can't be proven, the only option is belief and faith.

Therefore, the only argument for or against a deity is to argue whether there is a need for a supreme being. Science constantly demonstrates that there are certain, logical consequences to natural actions.

13. ApatheticUSA Registered Member

I personally don't belive in one entity creating everything without ANY proof, except a book written by People...

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Marv,

No it isn’t since you might be wrong.

No that is false, simply withhold belief. There is generally no pressure to make a choice if you are not convinced by either argument. Withholding belief because it is not believable is the fundamental atheist position and is hence fully rational.

Whether you argue for a need or not does not indicate whether a god might exist or not.

15. Horseman42 Registered Senior Member

Do you concede that the argument for god existing is illogical then if not logical?

If we cannot use logic what can we use then?

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Gon,

An idea held by some but not by others. A valid alternative is that there is no purpose.

Try reading abiogenesis theory.

Science doesn’t concern itself with trying to prove that things do not exist – so you should not be surprised.

And neither has science found anything to support theist claims either – or do you know something different?

17. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Horseman,

Aren’t the two terms identical? I.e. “illogical” and “not logical”, or is that not what you meant.

There are only two choices, logic, or illogic.

18. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

In which case belief in god is irrational. Nothing strange there, people have all sorts of irrational beliefs (astrology, good luck charms, magic, etc.). But many people claim that their belief in a god is indeed rational.

I was responding to the topic's assertion, which was that you cannot logically disprove the existence of an undefined word, which is rather silly because it refutes itself. When you're talking about nothing, you're talking about nothing.

There is a difference between stating that god is ineffable and refusing to define a term that you are trying to prove or disprove by way of logical argument. Light Travelling is playing an intellectual slight of hand in an attempt to asset that you cannot disprove god, by refusing to define what god is. This doesn't work. This is significantly different than the Sufi belief that God cannot be expressed in words or logic but only through experience. The Sufi belief is an intelligible statement, LT's is not.

~Raithere

19. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Light Travelling, I am going to use your argument above to support my belief.

If you believe in your first statement, you have to believe in the modified statement as well. Without reason, how do you know your statement is true and my modified statement of yours is false? There are documented myths about the existence of both.

I await your reply.

20. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

You assert that I HAVE to believe in the modified version, this is false I do not HAVE to, though I may CHOOSE to. If what you say is true, then as soon as anyone believes in anything unproven (no matter how small) they then HAVE to believe in god - not so is it - what do you believe the weather will be like tomorrow?.

Many say that God is a concept made by man. But remember also that Logic IS a concept made by man. Does all of nature conform to logic?

Some say it is like it is because god says. Some say it is like it is because logic says. Whats the difference.

I say you may accept existenece of god or not, as you choose - but you cannot use logic to disprove its existence.

Ahh, but if I were to know then it wouldn't be belief now would it. Your question is logically inconsistent.

21. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

But this is not correct I am not trying to prove god by logical argument, I am simple saying you cannot disprove god by logical argument, as many try to do.

Why, because if god is anything it is uknowable and uniteligible to the human logical mind. But this does not prove nonexistence.

EDIT -
    Logic is a function of one part of mind. We come to know or experience god through other parts of self. The logic part of mind cannot come to know or experience god, it cannot be used to disprove someting it does not know or understand.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  22. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Raithere,

You see the fact we do not define something does not mean it does not exist. By not being able / or willing to define something does not remove it from existence.

Unless of course you assert that it is only by ourselves forming a concept and a definition of something in our minds that brings it to existence in the first place. i.e. a tree only exists because we are able to form a concept of it and define it. In which case god is a as real as a tree if we form a concept and define it.

So you can see that non definition does not necessarily mean (as you stated earlier) that we are talking about nothing.

The main problem with your earlier argument is this line;
    "Therefore the symbol "God" refers to nothing."

This line is false as 'nothing' is a well defined concept. The term god is not refering to the concept 'nothing', if it were the term god would be defined. We are talking about god undefined. This then renders the rest of your argument invalid.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  23. Horseman42 Registered Senior Member

Yes this not logical can mean the same as illogical.

Yes this is true as well. If we are to dump logic in the garbage as Light traveling wants us to do then we have no choice but to be illogical. Hence there's no point in continuing a discussion if he wants to be illogical.