The working from home thread

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I go every 3 days and buy just what I need for several more days. My store has everything and no one is panicking. The experience is what you make of it.

I use their wipes that are outside the door when I go and and again when I go out. I wipe my car steering wheel and door handle.

I wash up again before and after putting everything away at home. No need to go wipe out the store once a month.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Even toilet paper?
    We're over 20 miles from a town and stores, so I typically only go every 2 or 3 weeks anyways. When I lived in cities, I went more frequently, of course--and to a number of different shops: Asian grocer, Latin grocer, Trader Joe's and so forth. That was also more entertaining and merited lingering; now, it's more just get in and get out and not think about it for a few weeks.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

It just occurred to me that I kind of obsess over food and food-related matters. I love preparing food and am quite particular about it. Yet as far as the eating part goes? Couldn't care less. I could eat the same thing every day for the rest of my life. Coffee and tea are the only foods that I'm really care about... eating.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Sure, if I lived a long way from the city I'd go less frequently as well. The typical hoarder doesn't live outside of the cities.

I didn't say that I need to buy everything every 3 days. I don't buy laundry detergent every 3 days and therefore I don't need to buy toilet paper every three days. I buy a pack of whatever they have whenever I need it. Just like before all this started.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

No, I was asking if your store actually has toilet paper right now? It seems to have practically disappeared from the face of the planet.

My mother told me that she went by a WalMart a week or so back, saw a line of people extended up and down the aisles--hundreds of people, or at least several dozen. They were waiting for toilet paper. A WalMart "associate" was rationing out four-packs. And then they had to get in another line for checkout. I still don't understand this, and nothing I've read that supposedly address why people are hoarding toilet paper actually addresses t.p. specifically--just hoarding in times of "crisis."

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't go to those massive grocery stores where people like to panic and stand in long lines. At my local neighborhood grocery store they have been pretty well supplied except for toilet paper and certain canned goods from the beginning.

After a few weeks they got even those things in. Now they have signs up in those areas that say they are limiting what they put on the shelves so that people won't hoard. There are always a few packs on the shelves. At one point, just after the shortage they got in a massive shipment of packs with 8 rolls of TP and had them on pallets all over the store.

I bought one of those and I'm good through the summer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Every time I go to the store I see that they are still stocked. I don't understand people who go to Costco and stand in line. That's just following the crowd. Go where there is less panic and you will find more goods.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

The first I heard about it was 1973.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'd say get a room, but in these troubled times I don't think that sort of thing is allowed any more.

wegs likes this.
  12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

We all live in virtual rooms now. Must be heaven for voyeurs!

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I feel like I could pick out Ed McMahon's uncontrollable fits of laughter from a crowd of a million.

Paper products, generally, seem a common theme amongst hoarders.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

So, I love this jeweler that I discovered who resides in India. I've ordered two pieces from him and a third, recently. Well, he's in lock down and I reached out to him to see how he is, but no response. I hope he's okay. But, I won't likely see that third purchase for a while, since I ordered it beginning of March and it takes about a month (without a pandemic) to receive purchases from there. It's weird how he and I live so far apart, yet we share this pandemic in common.

We are all connected in this small world.

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I was interested in buying a Charango (Peruvian stringed musical instrument) from a shop in LA. Initially I sent them a question via email and hadn't heard from them so I had to check to see if they were even open these days given all that is going on.

It tuned out they are open and I did end up ordering the instrument but with smaller businesses it's the "new normal" to have to wonder if there is even anyone currently operating behind a website.

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

We've cut back on our mail order business, both to avoid going into a post office, and to take a little of the load off our overstretched local posties. *Sigh* one more human contact to miss.

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I have a question for you on this - are you alerting potential buyers on your site, to your cut back hours due to CV19? I've run across this with some online shops, or they're putting up a ''vacation'' notice as to not accept any new orders until CV19 is over. I think this is very responsible and respectful, because while we all understand that everyone is affected by CV19, it's kinda unethical to keep taking people's money and not fill orders for a month or so.

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Hours mean nothing in our business; we work as and when needed. The only option for the retail side is to suspend or close our account with venues like amazon. For now, "vacation"; later we'll decide whether to resume. Postage is growing almost prohibitively expensive anyway, and we'll not get to any auctions or book sales in the foreseeable future.
    OTH, a lot of students can't get to libraries and walk-in bookstores for assigned reading.... Tough choices all over!
    On the service side, we can proceed with consultation, editing and cover design as before - it was never all that busy.
    This morning I convinced the anxious CEO that my beer supply is essential to mental health, so we're venturing out --
    twice in one week!!

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

An update on my jewelry from the seller based in India - he replied to me today and said he’s in lock down until April 13th, then he’ll send out the order. He said that there could be a mix up with DHL but he’ll let me know for sure. If I don’t receive the order this month, he said that he will offer a refund. I don’t want a refund, I want the jewelry.

He’s such an artist! Like minimalist creations. (I’m not into flashy ornate pieces)

I’m happy he’s doing okay and in good spirits.