The Way

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by seekeroftheway, Apr 24, 2006.

1. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

So, if anyone is interested, go to www.taoism.net or www.truetao.org and read about the way.

For those of you who are already acquainted, I have a few queries for you...

At some point during the "walking" of "the way", we, or at least I, have encountered a stage where you know there's this next step to take, this new thing of some sort, but you have no idea how to reach it, how to get there. I'm there right now, and it has been nagging me for a very long time. If anyone else has experienced/is experiencing this, what can you tell me?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

i dont see Way like you seem to, from what you say, though i most likely misunderstand you...

whay I see Way, is that it most defniately cannot be in anyway shape or form be defined, described....

so there is no 'right' way and/or no 'wrong' way

YET. say i was experiencing a kid doing all kinds of self abusive hit. what am i gonna do? do NOTHING? no...i am gonna try and somehow--hopefully veeery carefull, very skilfully somehow help change her course. thi may involve just showing more care, whatever

Way ios living process. we know that. and i see it myself as for both spontaneity, and inquiry

but anyhow. you will have greaetly more xplain what you man seekeroftheway

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

I agree with you, the way is the way, a way of life, a process, not some totally describable thing, it can't be described because we never really know all of it. In the way of "walking" it (" ") is where I have my problem. I seem to be at a point where I know there's this next step to take, I can see where I'm going, I just don't know exactly what or where it is or how to get there. Totally spiritual. How might I get around this?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

wrong. there is only right. to do wrong is also right. there are infinite ways, but they all lead to the same goal.

cold is the absence of warmth. darkness is the absence of light.

cold and darkness do not exist, they're only different states of warmth and light.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

get where?? and what you mean by 'totally spiritual'?
    the way i see things is, thatitis not just 'my' way i am walking as such. my way is oppressed on all sides by certain pressures. so as i am..'walking' i am also looking at THAT. so I dont know where i am going... would i WANT to know?
    well, i dont want to walk over a cliff......

9. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

The only way is using no way as way, in using no way as way there is a way, and when there is a way there is a way forward. A way forward until you come to another place of no way, then you decide your way again. The highest way possible is your way, the best way is not always your way, all ways come from the inside.

10. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Someone finally looks at things in the context that fits the principle, thank you Chatha...

11. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

But why is light and warmth the source? Light is the absence of darkness, no? It takes the place of darkness, it is the opposite. Same with warmth, if it is not cold, it is either warm or balanced between the two. Why or how would light/warmth be the superior side of the two pairs?

12. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

light causes a shadow, but darkness does not cause light, does it?

13. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

But without darkness, light would not exist, would it?

14. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

of course not. but darkness is the other side of light. it's not something totally different from "light", it just seems to be because it's on the other end.

there is no light without darkness.
    there is no light without light.

light and darkness are two sides of one wholeness. and they're not really two sides, they just seem to be, because we are separated from ourselves.

me and the universe -- separation.

yin is black, yang is white. tao is grey.

15. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Tao is formless, gray is an interpretation. There is no light without darkness, for if there were no darkness, what would light be? How would you know that light was any different unless you had something to compare it to? We would take air to breathe totally for granted if we were never relieved of it occasionally.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's hard to say exactly, but I think you are trying to use your serial-processing mind otherwise known as ego-consciousness to connect with your massively parallel-processing mind. The serial mind or ego is like a virtual machine on the main operating system. It is useful sometimes, but it cannot reach beyond itself. "You" cannot do this, but you can stop getting in the way. I'm sure you suspect this sort of solution, but really, there's nothing you can do.

17. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Yeah, actually, in trying to solve the problem I'm making it more complicated, so really, the answer is NOT do.

I hate that word, ego...

18. te jen Registered Senior Member

Instead of reading the responses you are gettting, perhaps you should consider the ones you are not getting.

19. Raphael Registered Senior Member

Or perhaps instead of considering the problem he is having, he should consider the problems he is not having.

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

It appears you are experiencing a spiritual crisis.

Sometimes, one must just sit with some things, as awful and absurd as they seem.

As a little help and encouragement, this talk Crisis in practice might help.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

spend some time by yourself out in the wild and find your own place in nature,
    each man must follow his own path to truley understand and live the dao,

you have read the scripts and studied the written side and roots of the teachings, now the next step is to walk the true path yourself,

peace.

22. Eddy Registered Member

The point I am at is that there is a distance or separation of the observed and the observer and that the distance gets wider. Standard procedure is to ridicule, deride, and 'make the fool of' in defense of one's chosen perspective thus widening and cementing the fact that indeed there is a gap.

As the observer observes so also is the observer observed. So to reconciliate the position at mid-point of two distances it becomes necessary to expand consciousness to fill the void between perspectives.

The only difference remaining then is knowing or not that we are observed.

23. Eddy Registered Member

I can only think of two reasons why the observer would wish to maintain a separation; one is that we don't want the riff-raff, the bums and the obnoxious demanders in our neighborhood; the other is that separation insures privilege. That privileged positions may be abused to the point that the less fortunate occupy the status of slave or animal and we wouldn't want to lose that privileged advantage. OK so the separation exists and will be maintained; At least I have crossed the gap and understood the motivation to retain an insular singularity.