The void: Imprint of another universe?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Michael, Nov 26, 2007.

1. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

2inquisitive. It is said that the only way dark matter acts (whether attractive or repulsive) is gravitationally and that it forms large structures. I think black holes should hoover these up over time, like sticking a vacuum cleaner into a mist. I can't see how dark matter could last?

The arms of the galaxy are a little too ordered I would think for DM, unless down to the structure DM forms? Too many unknowns.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

As you may have guessed, I think dark matter and dark energy may be the same thing, an aether-like substance that prevades the vacuum. Like dark energy, I think this aether is repulsed by mass rather than attracted to it gravitationally. It exerts a pressure against ordinary matter, pushing the ordinary matter into large clumps at some locations where gravity further acts through attraction to form structures. It could also be responsible for forming the large voids in the universe, where most ordinary matter has been pushed out of the area through its positive pressure.This dark matter/dark energy/aether would not be an anti-gravity force, but a dilute substance that weakly repells electromagnetic energy and ordinary matter. Since it is not a force per say, it does not decrease in pressure over distance like the inverse square (force) of gravity. At very large distances, the pressure could overcome the weak gravitational attraction of gravity to push groups of galaxies apart, leading to the expansion of the universe. As the distance increases, the attraction of gravity between those masses would become weaker, accelerating the expansion. It would seem logical that if this aether is replused by mass, it would be very difficult to capture or study with instruments made of ordinary mass. We could only observe its effects until we have a better idea of how to study it. Again, JMHO.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, thank you Kaneda.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So the only way we can tell how old a black hole is is by its size?
    Can a black hole swallow another black hole?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Hi.

1) You can't tell how old a black hole is unless you know when it formed (typically as the result of a supernova explosion of a star with enough mass that the core is imploded and becomes a black hole).

2) Yes, black holes can "swallow" one another (merge).

8. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

There is a 500,000,000 solar mass black hole discovered which was created only several hundred million years after the alleged BB.

9. blobrana Registered Senior Member

WMAP Void

The giant hole in the cosmos that astrophysicists found last year may not exist after all.
    A reanalysis of the area has found that the 'void', which supposedly contained far fewer stars and galaxies than expected, could be a statistical artefact.

Source New Scientist
    (Embargoed until 18:00 BST today)

10. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

I dont see the connection between a larger than average void and an alternate universe, not to mention this undermines the big bang theory (two-big bangs?).

11. krokah Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't it be great if there was an event horizon that you could cross into another universe and back. Would be very strange and exciting!

12. blobrana Registered Senior Member

How to lose a hole the size of a universe

Read more (Subscription)

13. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

This January, a eighteen billion solar mass black hole was discovered. It makes you wonder how big they can be? Considering they don't have a point source inside them but a rotating mass, is there a limit in size for them?