The upper management.....

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Clarentavious, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Of this forum is starting to tick me off.

What happens when you don't maintain something and keep it clean? It starts becoming unhealthy. In some cases these leads to rotting and decay. When something just grows worse and worse, like an illness, it would be better off being ended immediately than allowing it to die a slow painful death resulting in a big hunk of goo.

My latest complaint, not mentioning the many things that have bothered me in the past, Xev has now been made a moderator. To make matters worse, I can't have Xev on my ignore list now because of its status.

Evidently Porfiry found it appropriate to have one of the rudest and most hostile people on this forum placed in a moderator position. Xev's post are archived under the search feature, I am not going to sift through the thousands of them to find which ones do or don't contain strong insults towards other members, insult I saw no reason for, and words like "fuck" - which, BTW, to anyone who objects, is forbidden when registering with this particular forum software.

It would seem to me, that Porfiry does not have adequate time to run this forum properly on his own. I don't blame him for this if he is busy up in Canada going to college, or whatever it is that is occupying his time. However he should see to it that this forum is run properly, if he can't do it on his own, I feel he should have others assist him in the matter.

I can think this can be seen in the fact that there are a good number of users here that have more posts than him. I wouldn't expect this from the administator of a message board.

I was told, apparently I missed the purpose of being a moderator. When I was first given the position Porfiry mentioned one of my primary responsibilities would be to stimulate new discussion topics. Then I am accused of "going on a personal crusade", a term I have heard used around this forum quite a few times.

I am to understand moderators should sit back and let ill intentioned posters run rampant flooding the boards with nasty posts and causing disruption among the community? Or it is not their job to keep such things under control?

In Xev's instance, apparently its job would be to cause them.

Now I am going to be targeted by others saying this is a personal matter because I was removed from moderator position? Maybe, I don't know. But that doesn't do anything about the fact that I can't add Xev to my ignore list, and I'm sure as soon as one of its buddies informs it of this post, it will be here to curse me out; and I do not wish to scroll down the page and see nothing but "fuck you, you piece of shit" as responses, I'd rather block and filter out that material, however I do not think that is possible, as Porfiry is using a certain message board software, and I do not believe it allows users to add moderators or admins to their ignore list.

And now a brief story of how the 2.2 patch for SWAT 3 was never released.

There were some not so good bugs in version 2.1 of the PC game SWAT 3. Many members of the SWAT 3 message board, offered suggestions, ran technical tests for the programmers to try and duplicate the glitches in order to help fix them, and did many other things, including waiting a good deal of time.

Apparently SWAT 3 : GOTY wasn't selling well in stores. The CEO of Sierra, displeased by this, and realizing he was losing money, ordered all company employees to cease any further work on the game. The employees, programmers like Rod Fung, and artists like James Cox, had no choice but to comply with this decision, despite the support of the game's fans - after all, they are underlings to the CEO, he is the president of the company of course, and they must do as he asks if they wish to keep their jobs.

The game's development was enthuiastic about relasing the new patch, and they were the exact ones forced to come on to the message board and inform everyone of their boss' decision. That's when the community took a major blow and many long time members left.

SWAT 3 is still left with some serious bugs to this day that impede gameplay.

As administator, Porfiry holds the role of CEO of these forums. This issue concerning Xev's moderator position is only one of the things bothering me. Have you considered making any changes to these forums recently Dave? Do you feel I have any valid points?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

dave chose to let people VOTE for a mod that suited the majority of members

wether i agree on xev or not is imaterial

but she IS a mod untill there is a reason she shouldnt be

if you have complaints about her they need to be PM'ed to dave

if you have a complaint about HOW something is being moded tell us so we can change it

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Xev was elected by the community (by a substantial margin, if I recall).

That's obvious. That's why there's a system of moderators in place.

As for my time, some of it is spent at school. Much of the remainder is spent on my other project ( www.xlife.org ) which is effectively becoming a job and is able to provide sufficient funding to keep sciforums alive. It's true I can't devote as much time to sciforums as in the past, but that's just reality.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Hey cool! I have a whole thread bashing me!

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hehhehehehhe

well thats what you get for saying whats the point of a new section if you cant troll it

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Clarentavious

You may note that 45% of sciforums users are teenagers. Teenagers are easily impressed by someone who swears a lot and who, whether with reason or rationale or not, says "fuck authority". Thus Xev was voted in as a moderator.

I use the other ignore option, which is simply to not read those posts.

10. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Adam has problems when things don't quite pan out as he planned, and immediately forms rationales as to why it could have happened.

What are you saying Adam? Anyone who didn't vote as you wished was a misguided, angst-ridden tennager? I must say, I haven't been described as such in quite a long time now.

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The Marquis

It is simply my observation. If you disagree, rather than make a personal attack, why not make your own observation on the selection of moderators?

12. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i think Xev's nature is to try to be shocking. but, it doesn't always shock everybody... like me.. to me she's like a big, bag of wind trying to unsettle everyone's awnings. (what an anology

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) and, my awnings are tightly rigged and securely in place. plus i've heard stuff like her's before. it didn't affect me then, it doesn't now~ i am surprised, though, that she would be elected to be a mod. but, to each his own.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2003
  13. spookz Banned Banned

this thread in useless. go start your own forum if you dislike.
    show me the chaos. perhaps it might be more pertinent to examine the extent of your emotional involvement with sciforums and make adjustments locally

What happens when you don't maintain something and keep it clean? It starts becoming unhealthy. In some cases these leads to rotting and decay. When something just grows worse and worse, like an illness, it would be better off being ended immediately than allowing it to die a slow painful death resulting in a big hunk of goo

get help!

14. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Does this thread have a point??? I haven't seen so much whining and nicpicking since I was in elementary school, watching kids fight over a sandbox.

Clarentavious, if you have a problem with someone, pm them or Porfiry. Don't waste our time crying about them.

15. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Static76

Was that by any chance... a whinge???

16. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

17. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Too be honest....I only found out that Xev was a mod two days ago....after Firefly pointed it out :bugeye:

So she can't be doing a terrible job as bad news attracts attention

18. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Re: The Marquis

Because, Adam, that wasn't a simple "observation". You're like one of these kids in a the schoolyard, kicks sand in the kid's face when no one is looking, then sits back and says "who, me?".

My own observation on the selection of moderators, Adam, was that the one most voted for got elected. Hence my lack of any problem or initial comment. The personal attack was in response to being labelled an "angst ridden teenager" by yourself, and this reply engendered by your cowardly attempt to weasel out of it.

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

My $25.57 and a pizza...

Do it the democratic way, make a petition. It might seem silly, but if you got so many people to sign a petition that "Xev is a bad, evil mod, and should go to hell" then Im sure that you would get a response from Porfiry. That would mean that mods would have to be nice, and respectful. (even though all of them are)

20. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Except you

You keep picking on me

21. odin Registered Senior Member

I think Xev's got the tools for the job,she don't only swear!

22. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Porfiry

For as long as I've been here this place has been extremely enjoyable to visit in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the night. I doubt I shall ever tire of it

Btw, did I create the first "scifi is awesome" thread ever? I think it was called something like that, I made it just after I joined. When I was more of a youngin than I am now.

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The Marquis

I don't really know what the chip on your shoulders is all about. But then, I don't really care. Have fun.