The Universe is a holograph?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Shangorilla, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Shangorilla Registered Member

I've heard a lot about this theory recently. I'm fascinated by what constitutes reality. Currently I've been reading a lot about parallel universes. Anyone know anymore about this new theory about the universe being a hologram? Could somebody explain it to me or post a link to an article? Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Study Choas. It is based on sound mathmetics and if you can comprehend its implications the holographic description will make more sense!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zephir Banned Banned

This hypothesis comes from Bohm and Pribram and as such it's quite old, in fact. Because I'm physicts, I'm considering it seriously, but my natural question is: from what and how such hologram can be made from?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

The Holographic Principle can come in as many forms actually. The idea is what we are observing is actually a holograph of memory existing on the walls of fifth dimensional reality. The idea was created by Gerald Hooft.

It can also mean something totally new and radical. If the observer observes this universe, then what we are projecting is a holographic-like network. Two-dimensional images set into a three-dimensional phenomenon.

8. blobrana Registered Senior Member

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Mod Note:

Please leave discussion of ``concious'' out of this thread.

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Shangorilla---

Essentially the idea is that a gravity theory in five dimensions is really no different that field theory in four dimensions. Another way of saying this is that if you have a five dimensional space with a boundary, you fill find a field theory living on that boundary, which is exactly determined by the characteristics of the gravity theory. Becasuse our world is described by both field theory AND gravity, it is natural to suspect that the gravity may live in five dimensions, and the field theory can live on the boundary.

This is a bit of an esoteric subject, but hopefully I (or one of the other posters who I'd trust on this subject---AlphaNumeric and p-brane) can answer your questions...

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think all holograms are universes.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

What a joke.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Odd, because what I just described was exactly the holographic principle.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

It is a joke. A brillant joke.

I concede.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

It's not your understanding, but rather a lack of.

16. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Far out guys.
    Anytime any of you decide to use the occasional layman's term, let us know.

Of course it's natural to suspect that gravity lives in five dimensions.
    How did I miss that?

17. Reiku Banned Banned

I am as layman as it comes...

What do you need to know?

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Spud---

Without getting your hands dirty, you can never really understand what's going on. You might just have to spend some time thinking about physics in order to understand these things.

Gravity living in five dimensions is an old idea, that started in the 1920's with the Kaluza and Klein theories.

The basic idea is that any n-dimensional shape has an n-1 dimensional boundary. If one considers the dynamics of a theory in 5 dimensions, say, then the holographic principle says that you get a four dimensional theory ``for free''.

What one can show is that gravity in a certain kind of five dimensional space gives a four dimensional picture of particle physics that is very similar (in some respects) to the type of particle physics that we observe in our universe. So gravity can live in five dimensions, while we are stuck on the boundary---just like a hologram.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

As string theorists/ as it comes.