The Under Class, what do we do with them?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by joepistole, Nov 26, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

There is a group of individuals who I refer to as the under class. It is certianly a large group of individuals. These are the individuals who work at fast food restaurants, movers or other forms of manual labor their entire lives. They are aways looking for the fast EASY buck.

Either they do not have the social skills and/or they don't have the ethics or technical skills necessary to be succesful in society. Lack of technical skills can be remedied. But the other two skills are the more critical skills. How can you make them more ethical? How can you teach these adults social skills? Should they be taught social skills if they do not have a foundation in ethics? You could be creating a bigger monster and danger to society.

So the question is, what should become of these individuals? As society becomes more technical and robotics play an every more important roll in society, what should we do with these individuals?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

they should remain how they are. They just fill in the gaps, some die off...some find more easy money...perhaps robotic's repair shops...oil lubrication service...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

They don't have the skills to do robotic repair. Unfortunately this class breeds like hell. So their numbers are not going down. They may not be able to pay their bills or put food on the table, but that is not going to stop them from breeding.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

The under class? :bugeye: So anybody working in a restaurant, servers, waiters/waitresses etc... are the under class? Well someone has to do those jobs don't they? As for not having social skills, don't you think that they require social skills to work in that environment? After all if they act like a snob or a bitch they won't get very good tips. Working with the public on a day to day basis and putting on a happy face even when faced with assholes is NOT and easy job. As for movers? What is wrong with manual labor? You don't think movers make decent money? because they actually do.
    How are these ppl looking for an easy buck?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Moving furniture all day or being on your feet at a restaurant is not easy. Why do these ppl have to be taught more technical skills if they are happy doing what they are doing. How are these ppl unethical? I don't get it.

I don't care how many robots they make there is nothing like personal service.
    You want to replace all the customer service with robots?

The problem today is ppl think they are so high and mighty. They don't want to get their hands dirty or do manual labor. Some ppl that work in factories make a lot more money then those who work in offices.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Shorty, when you are 50 years old and still making minimum wage, I'd say there was a problem. That is not to say that there are people with solid skills in those jobs. I started working in high school at a restaurant washing dishes.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If "we" do something to take them out of that workplace, who's going to do those jobs?

Easy buck? Most of them work their asses off for those bucks ....and you call it "easy bucks"?

Basically, I see this entire post as a member of the "elite" looking down his nose at those less fortunate than themselves.

Try a little tolerance and understaind, Joe, it might do you some good.

Baron Max

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In any society there's always going to be manual labor and menial jobs that need doing no matter how advanced a society becomes. The real problem is where will they live and what will their incomes be.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Don't you think they should have some say in that?

And wouldn't you say that just taking those jobs at that wage is indicative of their "say" in the matter?

I know you're going to bring up the ideals of "forced to do those jobs", but thnk about it before you spew those idealistic phrases.

Baron Max

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I never said that they shouldn't so why do you ask that of me? Of course they should have wages that are resonable for their toils. Today we have the Federal wages which are at about 6.00 an hour to start. So who we vote for could also adjust those wages accoring to what the voters want.

I don't think they could have much say if the law has a set amout that employers have to pay them.

Just as they can go to college and better themselves by getting a better education. In a free society there's nothing stopping anyone from becoming what they want, look at Obama today. Education is almost free from state colleges and there are technical schools and trade schools as well. It is up to the individual to decide their "fate" as to their future.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My parents always taught me, it isn't how much you make...it's how you spend it.
    Some ppl can make $100,000.00 a yr and still be in debt up to their eyeballs. Maybe everybody doesn't feel the need to have a huge house with a couple of fancy cars in the driveway. Some ppl can live very simply. Personally, I don't think I would be happy with their lives, but then again it would be hard for me to go backwards from the life I already have. If these ppl have always known this kind of life, why would you bother with them?
    I would rather hang around with a bunch of "under class" as you call them ppl that are nice, then some rich egotistical bragging assholes.

People should appreciate the ppl in these menial jobs not put them down. How would you like to clean public washrooms after slobs. I wouldn't but you can imagine if there was nobody to take such a job. Some clean up, minimal education jobs pay pretty good don't kid yourself. My friend used to be a porter at the hospital. She had to clean up blood and whatever else after surgery in the operating rooms. She had to go to rooms where someone vomited and clean it up. Think if there was nobody to do that job?
    There was no formal training or education you needed for the job. She got paid $18.00/hr to start, with 3 weeks paid vacation and all other medical/dental benefits. She is successful in society and lives in a nice house and drives a nice car.

I must say from your OP you sound like quite a SNOB!

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The working class is not on the whole unethical or unintelligent. Nor are their jobs easy. Mostly, they lack the opportunity for advancement provided by higher education. High School used to be enough, now College is the minimum. We need taxpayer funded education to the graduate level.

15. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Often when I hear people say "how can we help________" (fill in the troubled group) I think that the first thing to figure out is

how can we stop hurting/exploiting them.

The underclass is seen as a resource by many.

Companies move into poor areas and charge higher interest rates for cashing their checks. Often products sold in poorer neighborhoods are more expensive. Alcohol is marketed directly and specifically for certain 'underclass' groups. They are suffering, perhaps it is thought, and therefore we can make more money here with our drug, in this case a legal one.

The music and film industries repeatedly make money by using the experiences of and creating fantasies of the underclass.

Employers see the underclass as labor that can be treated in ways it cannot treat members of other groups.

So, first I suggest we stop hurting the underclass. Then perhaps start to look at the ways we create an underclass and inhibit vertical movement from the underclass.

One we stop doing harm, then we can move to step two and start looking at ways to help.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What? So then we can have the people with Master's Degrees working in our sewers and as street sweepers and garbage collectors?

If everyone has graduate level degrees, who does the work?

Baron Max

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Agreed. But then, wait, some see the middle class as a resource. And, oops, some even see the upper class as resource.

I think everyone sees others as a resource in one way or another. And, let's face it, they are!

Baron Max

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

....to be exploited and kept as an underclass. iow it is good that they have whatever problems they have and I can get stuff from that and don't give a shit if my treating them as a resource increases their problems.

I could see you lying on the ground bleeding and demand money to call for an ambulance. But, it might just be me, I wouldn't do that.

You can treat another person as a resource and not give them more problems.

It happens on occasion here.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

People who don't have the aptitude or desire for education.

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I reckon they will keep putting bread in your mouth and a roof over your head...as theyve done your whole life.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think people have gotten way off course here. Let me give you my background and perspective. I grew up dirt poor. I had menial jobs. But I educated myself and worked hard and achieved something. I have spent the last 25 years in corporate America.

A few years ago I started a restaurant chain. I cannot tell you what an experience that was. The sob stories, the baby sitting and the irresponsible behaviors. It was just absured. I have stories that most would find hard to believe because they are so bizzare. But I will share a couple of incidents with you.

One of my managers hired this drop dead gorgeous woman. I was in the restaurant on her first day. And it was about an hour before I fired her. She just had the worst attitude, and she didn't want to work. If I am going to pay her, she is going to do honest work. Then came the stories of sexual harrasment and threats of law suits and lawyers...like I hadn't heard that crap before and been around the block a few times.

Another case, a lady worked for a week and then left because of medical problems. She did not say how long she was going to be out because of this unspecified medical problem. And she never came back and said she wanted to work again. However she did come back and say that she wanted to sue me for failing to give her a job when she returned from medical leave. Aside from all of the other issues, it was just preposterous.

And theft, it is just amazing. You really have to be paranoid about anything and everything and everyone....because employees steal. Now I like the idea of hiring Americans but I can certianly understand why employers want to hire illegals...they work and for the most part they are honest.

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

So maybe your real question is:

What are we going to do with litigation crazy people?

Only in America...where half the population are lawyers.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No it was not the lawyers because these people didn't have even the least bit of ground to stand on and no lawyer would have even entertained their case. But that didn't stop them from trying to pull the number on me. It didn't work. But if it were not so pathetic, it would be laughable.

These people just do not have the skills necessary to go beyond what they currently have and maybe that is ok. But their lives are a series of low paying jobs and it will never be any better for them. And with automation becoming more and more a part of our lives, what will happen to low skilled workers as they are replaced by machines?