The speed of life

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kaneda, Nov 13, 2007.

1. shalayka Cows are special too. Registered Senior Member

C++ programmer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. azizbey kodummu oturturum Registered Senior Member

we can survive at any speed, including close to C, however what makes this ultra speed dangeous is the gravitational field that we pass near. otherwise travel speed is irrelevant to our wellbeing. also dont push the brakes too hard if you want to stop.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

azizbey. As I pointed out before, we are not talking acceleration here but overall speed.

Gravity only travels at light speed so it is debatable how an object travelling near light speed would be affected in a close pass to it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. azizbey kodummu oturturum Registered Senior Member

my answer is still the same as above. .. and if the object travels near light speed close to gravity, then you may see the ripple effect on the object. because gravitational vawes already exist in object's path

8. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

I don't know if we can call gravity a wave (though far better than calling it a graviton - doh!) as it seems to be a homogenous effect from a stable source. It is possible that gravity is "fine enough" that there would be no ripple effect.

9. DonJStevens Registered Member

If you are moving at (near) light velocity, steady speed, no acceleration, all background radiation will be blue shifted to gamma wavelengths. I don't think people could survive.

10. shalayka Cows are special too. Registered Senior Member

I agree: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=475266&PageSize=25&WhichPage=1

Original post by medevilenemy
    Yeah, but realistically, though, one really doesn't need to worry about EM radiation frying the crew. EM Radiation is relatively easy to block (A heavy duty hull would probably function like a really good faraday cage, not to mention a bunch of other methods.

That's all fine and well until the wavelength decreases enough to the point where it will melt or punch a hole right through the Faraday cage. This device doesn't just automagically remove electromagnetic energy from the universe, it absorbs it. Add enough energy to any solid conductor and it will turn to liquid, gas, plasma, etc (re: phase transitions due to temperature). I don't think I need to describe what would happen after one's hull has disintegrated into an ultrahot liquid. Ow.

Either way, Faraday cages are good for low-energy phenomenon like lighting and cell phone signals. It does not fare well against photons with the energy equivalent of a star at rest.

11. DonJStevens Registered Member

I was thinking of Cosmic Background Radiation, about 2.76 degrees Kelvin in microwave part of spectrum. It seems there is no way to avoid this radiation.

12. draqon Banned Banned

by the way...the speed of life is: 1/c or 1/speed of light...or the fastest interval of time