The Secret [movie]

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by S.A.M., Jul 19, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, the premise is your current condition is a consequence of your past thoughts. So if the Palestinians were to change their thinking NOW, they would reap the benefits of it in the FUTURE.

e.g. they could stop perceiving themselves as victims and instead choose to focus on what they want to be.

Do you think that would have any impact on their future?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

In order for it to work, you must hold your focus. You must all ready behave as thought it were a fact. You must not waver from the thought as though it were already reality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Positive thinking can only go so far. The Secret is a bunch of new age quackery.

Maron Bax

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yup. Thats the general idea.

8. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I had no idea spidergoat was a SOCK!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

10. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Exactly. This is why I always say there are no victims in life. The Americans perceive themselves as Capitalists, and Imperialists. They attract to them their victims. Likewise, the world is not short on peoples that likewise think of themselves as helpless and in doubt of their power.

Likewise, we have media forces and elites throughout the world which seek to shape people idea and impressions, rather than letting us take personal responsibility for our own destiny. You can be sure that they who control the destiny of the world are fully aware of these laws that govern how the world works, so they control how the people and societies think. THOUGHT is by far the most powerful weapon and influential factor determining the history of the world.

I can list some books authored by some of the most powerful elites that work on the principal of the secret that PROVE that the elites KNEW about the secret and that they have been using it for over a hundred years at least to determine the destiny of men.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How very true, exactly my thoughts when in my manic state.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Have you ever considered changing the way you think in that state?

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Sure. All positive thinking and action will have an impact on someone's life but as spidergoat pointed out it can only go so far in terms of results which are dependent on a variety of factors. The formula they speak of in the Secret also suggests for example that where you are right now is based on what you were thinking and feeling in the past, this means that if you are in a place of struggle, as in the example I gave, that this too is also your responsibility. Its saying you have the power to get yourself in or out of something because you used the power (however unwittingly) to place yourself where ever you are and this is something I do not necessarily agree with. I think that there are things we cannot avoid no matter what our thoughts or feelings.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No one can control their thoughts during mania, its preliminary to psychosis. People generally don't think 'oh something bad is happening and I am becoming manic' no, they feel good, they think their thoughts and activity normal so there would be nothing to control if you see what I mean. Its the reason why so many will take their medication when they begin to enter a depression but try and shun it when they are becoming manic.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

"The Secret" is balony.

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Why do you think its balony? I'm not disagreeing, just curious as to your take on it.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The Secret is mumbo-jumbo that would have us believe that things come to you just because you wish for them. "The universe will provide" whatever you want.

So, if I want a million dollars, all I need to do is wish really hard for it and it will come to me - somehow. If it doesn't happen, then it's not that the Secret is bullshit, it's that I didn't wish hard enough.

The Secret preys on the most vulnerable in society. It is a cynical money-making exercise designed to fleece ignorant people of their money.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

My guess is that feeling good about yourself and a strong determination to make it all turn out alright boosts the immune system (I think it has been showed that being depressed and apathetic depresses the immune system).
    So the placebo effect can take care of any illness that a healthy immune system could deal with, but nothing beyond that.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The placebo effect only works within the limits of a healthy immune system?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's what I think anyhow. And it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

In fact, what I was saying is that the placebo effect just restores the immune system and perhaps boosts it a bit beyond its normal effectiveness.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How about a case history?

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Perhaps his relapses were not connected with the bad news at at all.
    Doesn't it happen sometimes that the cancer seems to disappear or shrink only to come back later ?

And another thing, you'll have to show that it is impossible for the immune system to fight back against these tumors somewhat.
    Also, the element of positive thought is heavily involved here as I pointed out in my other post.

I've had a jaw infection that would 'pulsate' (grow, shrink, grow, shrink, etc) over the course of a couple of days before my immune system finally gave up and the infection soared out of control.