The Relativity of Simultaneity

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Motor Daddy, May 12, 2010.

1. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

So ignore real world observation, experimentation and technology in order to maintain your delusion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Real world observation is that all objects have velocity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

With respect to what?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Light travel times.

8. Tach Banned Banned

Einstein has been dead for 65 years. Yet, his science has survived the most stringent testing. The fact you don't understand it doesn't falsify it.

Tough, eh?

9. phyti Registered Senior Member

This is a consequence of the clock synch method.

We know he's defining a standard for time and simultaneity so moving observers descriptions relate to the same events. The point to be made was, it's a convention/definition, not a fact about a physical process.

An official could issue a decree that the moon is only half as far away, but the moon would not comply.

In par. 3, he uses closing speeds in defining the transformation equations,so he knows the outbound and inbound times are different for light transit times, but ignores it to preserve constant light speed.

10. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

This has nothing to do with clocks being in synch. This is what the observer observes, not what is measured.

11. phyti Registered Senior Member

It is seldom the case that simultaneous perception of light signals means simultaneous occurrences of the events that produce them. Viewing the night sky, no one would conclude that the light left all sources at the same time.
    If the rear flash ocurred before the front flash, they could arrive simultaneously at the midpoint of the train. The person at the midpoint would resolve this by polling the clocks at both ends with a light signal. The clocks would read the same, but only because they were previously synchronized using the SR method.
    This could easily be proved by not synchronizing the train clocks after attaining speed. The clocks would still have earth synched time, but a different rate. When the flashes ocurr, a clock at each flash would indicate different times.

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The topic of this thread was brought up in another ([post=2749116]Light at Light speed[/post]), and I'm bringing it back here to avoid a major sidetrack in that thread.

I'll start from the assumptions that:
    • the embankment is at rest
    • light travels at c with respect to the embankment
    then show that in the mathematical world of time dilation and length contraction:
    • The train observer can't tell how fast he's going. His best measurements tell him he's at rest.
    • He can't synchronize his clocks with the embankment clocks. His best synchronization methods make his clocks out of sync with the embankment clocks
    • The clocks he synchronized as well as he possibly could tell him that the lightning strike at the front of the train happened before the lightning strike at the back of the train.

I'll go one step at a time, and wait for your questions and corrections before proceeding.

In return, I expect that if I am able to do this to your satisfaction, then you will agree:
    • that Einstein's world is a logically consistent world, and
    • that if actual measurements in the real world match Einstein's world better than your own conceptual model, then your own conceptual model is wrong at relativistic speeds.

Agreed?

13. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

How did you come to the conclusion the embankment was at rest? "At rest" compared to what?

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It's an assumption, a premise. Not a conclusion.

Every calculation I make will be based on the premises that the embankment is actually at rest, and that light actually travels at c relative to the embankment.

To recap and add clarification:

Assumptions:
    • The embankment is at rest
    • Light travels at c with respect to the embankment
    • Clocks on the embankment are synchronized with each other
    • The train observer knows that light travels at c with respect to something at rest
    • The train observer doesn't know that the embankment is at rest
    • The train observer doesn't know that the embankment clocks are synchronized
    • The train observer has precise clocks, but he doesn't know if they're synchronized
    • Moving clocks run slowly by the Lorentz factor
    • Moving rulers are shorter in the direction of motion by the Lorentz factor

Are these premises acceptable to you?
    All my calculations must be perfectly consistent with these premises.

From these premises, I believe I can prove that:
    • The train observer can't tell how fast he's going.
    • His best measurements tell him he's at rest.
    • His best measurements tell him that the speed of light is c with respect to the train.
    • He can't synchronize his clocks. His best synchronization methods make his clocks out of sync with the embankment clocks
    • The clocks he synchronized as well as he possibly could tell him that the lightning strike at the front of the train happened before the lightning strike at the back of the train.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

At rest compared to what? You say it's at rest. What do you mean by that?

16. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I will assume that the embankment is absolutely at rest.

17. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I'll ask you again, what do you mean when you say the embankment is at rest?

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I don't know how to be any clearer.
    What is ambiguous about "the embankment is absolutely at rest"?

19. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Do you mean the embankment has a zero velocity?

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Yes.

21. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Compared to what? How would you determine if the embankment had a zero velocity or a 1,000 m/s velocity?

22. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

That's a problem that the train observer will indeed have to address in order to determine the velocity of the train.

I'm starting the with assumption that the embankment is at rest. I'm taking it as given.

But perhaps you would you like to suggest a method of determining the embankment's velocity?

23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The train observer has the same problem as you have. You say the embankment has a zero velocity, and the train observer says the train has a zero velocity? So before you or an observer on the train (or any observer in the universe) can make any statements about motion they first need to know their own motion. I've noted and you've made it clear you have no way of actually knowing whether the embankment has a zero velocity or not, you are simply guessing, and there is only 1 chance out of an infinite amount of possibilities that you are correct.

You have no way of knowing or testing, you just start from a random assumption and work from there, is that correct?

What is your concept of the embankment's velocity? What is that zero velocity relative to, in your mind?