The Qur'an

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Jul 23, 2009.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There is nothing else. The Quran contains no factual information at all except possibly some historical trivia. It contains as well a fair amount of myth and mysticism - not just an absence of accurate factual description, but a presence of fiction actively endorsed. Noah, for example.
    To the extent that you were correct in your interpretation of what Moore et al actually claimed: Deluded, naive, foolish - yep. It's a pretty silly enterprise, if you stop and think a minute.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Geesh give a person a chance to get up and take a piss - some of us like to have a beer once in awhile....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Something enlightening from Indian philosophy you want? OK, I find this very enlightening: mindful empathetic meditation. This well thought-out Indian approach to life ultimately seeks to alleviate suffering and works both by via altering neural plasticity as well as increasing neurogenesis in the hippocampus. Imagine that, a superstition that actually leads to reduced fear and anxiety on a physiological level.

Compare this to core monotheistic ideas such as the God who relies on the promise of eternal hell-fire and tricks such as a tax on non-believers or virgins in heaven to coerce belief. These beliefs (especially if taught at a young age) will ALSO modulate the brain. They have a DIRECT effect on neural conductivity. If one lives their whole life in fear of a God that sits in judgment – expect that person's brain to be completely rewired towards this fear. Now look back on Bizza's responses.

Indian philosophy (perhaps epitomized by Indian Buddhists) may not have known what was happening but they figured out how to apply their approach of mindful empathetic meditation to affect neural plastic and the remodeling which occurrs over years of meditation, and increase numbers of neurons in the limbic system - this statistically significant increase can be measured using an MRI to show correlated increased hippocampal volume equating to a better functioning limbic system - which regulates sense of well being. This sort of meditation can work at treating clinical depression - people, regardless of superstition, actually become mentally well.

Now's there's a superstition with an upshot. IMM, if people are going to be superstitious, THEN lets ensure that this superstitious isn't f*cking up their brains. Believe it or not, but, how you use your brain effects the functioning of your brain. Here we have a worthwhile philosphy centered not around fear of Hellfire or inherently intolerant ideas of a one and only "Perfect Book" or "Only One True God" or "Last and Only Perfect Prophet" but around increasing empathy for fellow humans and bettering sense of well being - THAT actually work.

I think teaching this sense of mind-body connection is something that all University students should be exposed to at some point in their education process.

AND you know what, I also think all Uni students should learn a thing of two about the Islam too. They should learn that it's not any more or any less valid a religion than any other superstition. They should learn the archeological bases for where the stories in the Qur'an originated from - as well as all the Greek and Persian words embedded in these stories. They should walk away understanding why ideas like the Only Perfect Religious Book, the Only Last true Prophet, the Only true God lead to division and war and are not acceptable in today's multicultural societies. Sadly, this has probably been Islam's greatest gift to mankind - to stand as a testament to what's so utterly wrong with the monotheistic philosophy.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

wtf is that? Sounds like one of those scams like "Art of Living". Buddhism is the least relevant Indian philosophy in India. Presently it is used by Dalit leaders to keep their constituents under their thumbs. And the Dalai Lama to milk the government for his expenses.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And of course the Quran can be evaluated similarly. Right?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure. Who is using it?

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

A bunch of suicide bombers and genital mutilators, the princelings of Saud and Yemen and Kuwait and the public torturers of the lesser 'stans, the chador enforcers and the heroin dealers and the organized rape campaigns of the Pakistani army.

Among others.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Can I see some evidence?

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Of what? That the Pakistani army is generally Muslim, including its command? That Muslims base their religion on the writings of the Quran?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No that the Qur'an is irrelevant to them outside these practices [or even in them] Note that I was discussing the relevance of Buddhist philosophy to Indian society. The process of conversion of the Dalits from Hinduism to Buddhism and the much vaunted Dalai Lama are the only two instances which can be related to Buddhism in India. As a religion, most converted Buddhists are still following their preconversion beliefs. Hence Buddhism per se is irrelevant, since the devotees do not really care about anything except getting out of the caste system [if at all, since they still use the OBC certifications for education and work and are loth to give up their lower status]

How do you compare this to the examples you gave?

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And I am following your lead, discussing the relevance of Quranic philosophy to Eurasian society, using examples.

Female genital mutilation, suicide bombers, lynching of people connected to offensive cartoons, rape as a military tactic, the theocratic governments of various famously Quran based places, etc.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I see what you mean. Muslims following cultural practices not mentioned in the Quran is the same as Buddhists worshipping Hindu Gods or living in exile until they can return to the position as Chief Pooh Bah in their older slavocracy.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Pretty much, yes, in the cases mentioned. I don't think that worshipping Hindu gods is specifically mentioned in Buddhist philosophy, or the role fo the Dalai Lama for that matter.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Right. So what are you saying different from what I am saying, since we seem to be an impasse?

18. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

I didn't ask for anything from those philosophies.... you just wanted to say something. Secondly if you're talking about meditation, then Muslims have the concept of 'muraqba' and 'Tafakkur'- go read the literature. You actually think rather than start humming to feel good.

And lastly I find that the chinese sat down thought about buddhism and then just went to some of the deadliest wars- they understood humanity at a enlightened level A lot of china is full of just wars- one dynasty trying to overthrow another.

Peace be unto you

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That would be a common complaint about you, Sam, who NEVER reads anything presented, NEVER reads the books criticized.

Yes, we've read the Quran, Sam. It's a very dangerous ideology based on myths and superstitions.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You've been indoctrinate well into your cult. You demonstrate exactly what is expected and what we've come to see from other Muslims here, a penchant for violence while claiming the religion of peace. And, you demonstrate quite evidently that your ideology is very dangerous to mankind, especially non-Muslims.

And no, it's not likely I can get away with saying anything about Islam in public. People like you will be waiting in the dark to put a knife in my back or slit my throat walking down the street. Religion of peace.

People like you who place their cult over all else, making demands and promising violence if you don't get your way deserve no respect.

It is your cult that perpetuates hate, has no decency or intelligence and is foul to the core.

Of course, if we don't bow to Islam as the one and only true religion of peace, you'll kill us all.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who's "we"? Is there more than one of you? :roflmao:

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes Sam, there is more than one member here on these forums who has read the Quran. How is that funny, Sam?:shrug:

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

...is hypocrisy.