The Present

Discussion in 'World Events' started by truestory, Dec 30, 1999.

1. truestory Registered Senior Member

Yesterday's history. Tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a "gift." That's why we call it "the present."

What will you do with your gift of today?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

"Today while the blossom still clings to the vine,
    I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine,
    A million tomorrows shall all pass away
    Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today.
    I'll be a dandy and I'll be a rover,
    You'll know who I am by the song that I sing.
    I'll feast at your table, I'll lie in your clover,
    I'll laugh and I'll cry and I'll sing...
    Today while the blossom still clings to the vine,
    Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today.
    I can't be contented with yesterday's glories,
    I can't live on promises winter to spring,
    This is my moment and now is my story,
    Who cares what tomorrow will bring?
    Today while the blossom still clings to the vine,
    Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today."

"The sun on the meadow is summery warm,
    The stag in the forest runs free,
    But gather together to greet the storm,
    Tomorrow belongs to me.
    The branch of the linden is leafy and green,
    The Rhine gives its gold to the sea,
    But somewhere a glory awaits unseen,
    Tomorrow belongs to me.
    The babe in his cradle is closing his eyes,
    The blossom embraces the bee,
    But soon, says a whisper, 'Arise, arise,
    Tomorrow belongs to me.'"

That is what I will do with my present. Enjoy the hell out of it and eagerly await the next one.

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited December 29, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited December 29, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

WOW! Someone here has actually heard of "The New Christy Minstrels," I would have never believed it. A good folk group from way back when.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

They're a little before my time, but a good song is a good song. I think the oldest one in my repoire is "Greensleeves" (I don't recall the year), but when it comes to obscure pieces, I'm fond of "The Maypole" (1619). I cracked up when I first heard it because it's the same song used in a Daffy Duck cartoon where he plays Robin Hood and Porky Pig plays Friar Tuck. Of course, the words are different, but when it got to the "Trip it, trip it, trip it, trip it, tri-ip it up and down..." I couldn't keep a straight face thinking of Daffy stumbling down the hillside.

Maybe you can help me with this one. The last time I heard this song I was in second grade and it was on an 8-track. It's called "Green Fields":

Can you tell me who did it and when?

8. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

Oxygen ol'boy, you have smashing good taste in music. "Greensleeves" is way before my time I'm afraid; it's a folk song from medieval England. "Greenfields" was done by four Univ.Of Washington fraternity brothers back in the late 1950's; hence the group's name "The Brothers Four." They were and indeed still are an excellent folk group who continue to perform on college campuses and worldwide as well.

9. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

AARRRGH! THE BROTHERS FOUR! I've got to check out the local used record store and see if I can find it.

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy all kinds of music. I could never be one of those who was just "into rock" or "into country" or anything. I've always just been "into music". I was probably the first teenager at my high school to yell out "Bach Rocks!" after a short but spirited performance held in the music room. I play guitar as my primary instrument, so I confess to a penchant for folk music. I also play piano, bass (acoustic doghouse and electric), a little drums, some trombone, zither, dulcimer, ukelele, Jew's Harp, q'in (Chinese Moon Guitar), and banjo, but I haven't quite mastered the violin. Pardon the pun, but I tend to toot my own horn quite a bit when it comes to my music.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Okay, since some of the songs I've asked about have a "green" theme, have you ever heard this one, and who does it:

Thanks for helping me track down these songs! They've been driving me nuts!

10. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

Oxygen ol'boy, I've got to run, but I can answer your last question about "Green, Green;" that's another good folk song by "The New Christy Minstrels." I suggest possibly buying one of those CDS with a compilation of folk artists. You might luck out and find all the songs you've been searching for on one CD.

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Thanks! You sure seem to know a bit about this music. Is it your favorite style, or are you just an all-around music nut like me?

12. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

Oxygen, Well I must confess, I do favor the "folk sound" although there are many styles that I listen to and like. I guess the "folk sound" always had the right amount of reminiscence and right amount of "social awareness" that I find favorable in music. If you have any other songs that are giving you a bit of trouble in tracking down, let me know and maybe I can assist you.

13. kat Registered Member

i have been searching for this song for a long time! ty!

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Scratch my balls, get laid (perhaps), cuss, eat, drink and read.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Geez, why don't you first get laid, then let her scratch your balls while you cuss, eat, drink and read. Seems much more relaxing and enjoyable, don't it?

Baron Max

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, my mother died; my dog was killed by a car; my girlfriend gave me herpes and syphillis; I lost my job; all my investments went belly up; I have no food; I have no home; I have no bed; the government won't give me any handouts; ....yeah, some might call that a "gift", but, ya' know, ...I just can't seem to grasp it as a gift.

Baron Max

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

work :bawl:

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because I like it MY way.

19. desi Valued Senior Member

There nothing like a new coined day to fling away.

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

At 7.5 years, I think that *bump* is a new record!

21. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Yesterday? Man, it seems so far away.

22. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Sounds like the musings of a new country song. Afterall, the only songs that sell these days are recycled ideas, as the above has been done many times before. There's your gift right there. Let's hope you can bank off it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Just shows clearly that the present isn't necessarily considered a gift by some people, don't it?

In fact, interestingly, most of the people in the world are in a similar, degraded situation ...hunger, disease, war, conflict,..... Do you think they consider the present as a gift?

Just one more case, of many, where idealism just can't stand up to the realities of the world.

Baron Max