The powers of God!!!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Lou Gentile, Apr 22, 2000.

1. Flash Registered Senior Member

Infinity,

Well, I guess you did not read my posts the way I intended them to be. LOL I indeed was not a christian...until recently.

What gives?? That's what I'd like to know from you. I mean you come out here and automatically change your thoughts from belief in God to atheist all because of some contradictions? Well... don't get me wrong..I understand having contradictions make one leery of becoming a christian...but, you did a change soooo quick. Again, I'd like to ask you a question which I posted to you on 6/25

If you do not mind sharing...is( I suppose I should change that to was?) your relationship with Jesus based on the premise that the bible has been translated 100% correctly?

P.S.
    Man, and I LOVE spicy chicken wings...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Take care,
    Flash

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Well Ok, I'll admit it. It wasn't only the contradictions...it was the contradictions and everything else. I looked up on all the posts here from over the past months...and you can all blame it on a man named Boris...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Should I start believing in God now?

Well I got something to tell you...

[This message has been edited by Infinity (edited July 19, 2000).]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Flash Registered Senior Member

Infinity,
    Blame it on Boris??? Uhhh...ok, what was it he said to make you begin to question God/Jesus? If you don't mind sharing I'd like to hear it. Let me tell you...reading your posts, been away for awhile, tonight was like...well, you sound soooo much like I use to be...scary. LOL

I cannot tell you what you should do...only you can do that for yourself. My hope is that God/Jesus become real to you. I'd like to ask...why do you now not believe?

P.S.
    You've got something to tell me but not now??? Hey, you can't do that to me!!!! LOL
    Look, if you feel the need to do it privately feel free to e-mail me.

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited July 19, 2000).]

8. Infinity Registered Senior Member

What has Boris said to convince me their is no God? Well look back on all the posts over the past year or so. Theirs a whole crap load of things. I haven't seen anyone as good as Boris in trying to prove God doesn't exist.

So tell me, do you beleive in the God from the Bible? Do you worship him? Do you go to church? Do you say a prayer every now and then?

9. Infinity Registered Senior Member

How the hell can Jesus/God become real to me?

What about the people who don't know of Jesus?

10. Tony H2o Registered Senior Member

Flash,

Youmakamegrinlotsa

Good to see you again buddy.

Infinity,

As you will have noticed I have not come back to you to spell out the answers to all those "contradictions". I went through the all the references you gave, I have even spoken to others who are scholars and theologians. I found that there are known answers to probably about 80% of the contradictions. Most of the contradictions are stock standard and have been bandied around for some time. They essentially stem from taking the verses or passages completely out of context, by not factoring in the character of God and not allowing for or researching political, social and emotional factors.

Now the reason I did not come back to you?

Would what I say have made a difference to your heart?

I could spell it out for hours in debate here with you, Boris, Tiassa, Mooncat, Searcher etc etc in an effort to win an intellectual argument. But how does that affect your heart? For it is with the heart that we believe for salvation, not the mind.

If your heart is so overruled by your mind then all words we speak will be futile. The lord of all glory came to have a loving and living relationship in your heart. The Kingdom of God is a Kingdom that rules and reins in the hearts of men, women and children. Why the heart? Why not an intellectual kingdom? Why? Because it is from our hearts that our desires come, these desires then take on form in our minds and are played out in our actions.

Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Matthew 15:
    8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
    9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
    11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
    12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
    13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
    14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
    15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
    16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
    17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
    18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
    19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
    20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Luke 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Acts 28:27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

2 Corinthians 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Heart first, soul second and then the mind will follow.

Jesus came to deal with the hearts of men, for it is our heart that is wicked and needs healing. Our minds are a product of the state into which our hearts are born, that being a state of wickedness. So it is wickedness that we desire for, it is fulfilment of our own desires and not fellowship with God or obedience to Him.

Lessons of the heart are the hardest to learn as they confront all that we are. Lessons of the mind are not as difficult. The renewing of the mind is through the word of God.

What good would it do for me to struggle with your mind Infinity? Would I drive you to the Lord or away from Him through a strengthening of your strong resolve? I pray that you will return to your first love, the love of your heart not the teachings of man. I have prayed that God will deal with your heart.

Flash and Lori have spoken the truth to you. Its only through a heart to heart relationship that we can ever know the truth of who God truly is and what He has really done for us through Jesus Christ His Son.

Allcare

Tony H2o

11. Flash Registered Senior Member

Infinity,
    Yes, I understand Boris can be quite convincing. Is there anything particular that may have stood out that shook you?

Do I believe in God from the Bible?
    Yes, I do. However, I'd like to point out that I do not believe that the Bible was 100% translated correctly.

Do I worship Him?
    Yes

Do I go to church?
    No, I do not.

Do I say a prayer every now and then?

Yes. The reason I am smiling is because this is something that has been strong on my heart recently. I had kind of backed off from prayer compared to where I was. But am back on track now!

I feel that it is very important to have fellowship with God/Jesus.

You are asking how God/Jesus can become real to you? I'd like to know something, Infinity. You came on here and stated that you were a christian in the beginning, right?
    My definition of a christian is one who accepts Jesus as their personal savior...they have a personal relationship with Him. Did you have a personal relationship with Jesus?
    He can become real to you by asking Him to become real to you. Once this is done though...it's important to keep the communication lines going. You can equate it to a friendship. When you meet someone..in order to learn and develop a good friendship you spend time with them.

"What about the people who don't know of Jesus?"

Umm..could you elaborate a bit more on that question for me?

12. Infinity Registered Senior Member

You were talking to Theologians? But I thought %95 of Theologians are Atheists.

Was it God, or the devil, who said: "I will strew your flesh upon the mountains, and fill the valleys with your carcass. I will drench the land even to the mountains with your flowing blood..."

Was it God, or the devil, who said: "Therefore fathers shall eat their sons in the midst of you and sons shall eat their fathers...I will send famine and wild beasts against you and they shall rob you of your children; pestilence and blood shall pass through you; and I will bring a sword upon you."

Was it God, or the devil, who said: "Behold, I will corrupt your seed and spread dung upon your faces..."

Was it God, or the devil, who said: "Pass through the city after him, and smite; your eye shall not spare and you shall show no pity; slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women..."

Was it God, or the devil, who said: "...I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the light of this sun."

Was it god, or the devil, who said: "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Was it God, or the devil, who said: "Samar'ia shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open."

Was it God, or the devil, who killed every man, woman, child and animal on earth because he lost his temper with them? Was it God, or the devil, who killed 50,000 of his children for merely looking into the ark of the covenant? Was it God, or the devil, who killed every firstborn child in Egypt for the deed of the Pharoah?

Obviously, it is Jehovah who did all of these atrocities. But I ask you, under similar circumstances, what would the devil have done? Allow yourself to think about that. Could a devil have done worse?

13. Flash Registered Senior Member

Tony,
    Awwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks, it's good to be back! Great post, Tony!!

Infinity,
    Look, I understand all the contradictions and the paintings of God being a bad dude..etc... I've been there...I was exactly where you were not long ago. Since I'm aware now you know how to use the search..search my name in the religious section. You'll find that we thought along the same lines and focused on a lot of the same things. Ditch the God's a bad dude...if that's what you focus on you'll never ever become to understand Him or know Him. I'm not saying this right... look, if you are serious in wanting to know if God/Jesus is real..cry out to Him and ask Him. That's exactly what I did. I had lots of questions and I was leery of Him...remember, I told you I hated Jesus. But, I was honest in my search and of course God knew this. I'm telling you as I got some aswers and spent time with Him...my whole perspective of God/Jesus totally changed. I once told Searcher out here that one can read about someone all they want to in a book...but, until you actually meet the person you are reading about you never really "know" them.

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited July 19, 2000).]

14. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Yes, I was a Christian. And I was looking for a way to get out of it. But it didn't mean dilly to me. You guys must have some something special that I don't have. I've never felt this "Jesus" come into my life. And frankly, I don't think I ever will.
    I am young. Younger than anyone on this board, and I've never had a personal relationship with "Jesus" out of all the years I've been a Christian. I've been a good person, but now it's time for me to give it up. Sure, I've tried and tried and tried and tried, but Jesus never came. I don't know HOW you guys do it.

Well sorry, I sure wish I could feel how great it would be to have "Jesus" come into my life, but hey, it just isn't going to happen. I don't believe in that stuff anymore. It's been 16 years and he hasn't came. What's going to convince me that he will come in the next 10, 20, or 30 years?
    Or maybe I should try for another 16 years and see if he will come, and then watch how dissapointed I will be when it doesn't happen. It's too late...he never came to me so I will never come to him.

Alright. You think everyone on this planet knows of Jesus/God? Their are thousands of people who have no knowledge of the Bible/ God/Jesus.

15. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Alright Flash, your starting to scare me. Cut the act!

16. Tony H2o Registered Senior Member

OK Infinity stop fighting with Him.

How in the heck is God gonna let you know who He truly is if you don't stop fighting Him?

Regarding your post, well basically they got what their hearts desired.

It was what is referred to as the law of the harvest, what you sow you reap. By glancing over most of what you threw up yes it does make God sound like a big meanie (sound familiar Flash?). But what you have neglected to look into is the events that lead up to God having to allow these things to be visited on them.

In most cases these things came about after the people had turned away from serving and following God. They came about when the people of God no longer followed His decrees and statutes which were laid down in love for their protection. They came about because the people turned their hearts towards the gods of their neighbours and took on the practices and ways of them. Way that involved very savage and brutal treatment of others in order to have their own selfish desires met. Ways that involved the sacrifice of their own children to the god molech. Ways that involved brutality beyond what you have mentioned, brutality and cruelty that was visited on innocent lives, babies. And these lives lost in innocence stand before the throne of God and appeal to Him as a just and right God for that very justice. That justice being the law of the harvest, what they had sown God revisited on the and they reaped their hearts desires.

So if God taking all things, even things beyond our comprehension into consideration comes across as a monster its because we have not bothered to stop and even attempt to consider why He needed to do what He did. If that's the case then I stick by God's side Infinity and not by your judgement of Him or by the picture that you would attempt to paint of Him. Let it be known that today God still does the very same things, He judges in justice and awareness of all factors beyond our consideration. The law of the harvest applies to each and every one of us so be careful how you walk.

I get very, very tired of people spitting it at God without even stopping or pausing to evaluate things correctly. How dare you!! How dares any of us to say anything about God without due consideration of all the factors. Basically what you are saying Infinity is that God should have placed the people who were acting in wickedness before the lives of the innocents that were lost. And you know why? I know why, because we so often look at things from our tiny little perspective of thinking that we as humans are the center of the universe and that God revolves around us. Well I've got news for you girl...HE DOESN'T

We are sustained by nothing more than His grace regardless of how highly we thing of ourselves and our achievements.

Get it right Infinity, submit to GOD, stop the fighting and start talking to Him.

Tony H2o

17. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Calm down.

Firstly, I'm not a girl. But like I said, aren't %95 of theologians athiests?

18. Infinity Registered Senior Member

I've got news for you boy....God doesn't exist!

How's that for news!!!

19. Infinity Registered Senior Member

A CHALLENGE FOR CHRISTIANS

Mark 16:18

"They will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." (NIV)

"They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
    (KJV)

According to the New Testament of the Christian Bible, they (believers
    in Jesus Christ) can handle snakes, presumably poisonous ones, without harm.
    With this claim, religious faith enters the realm of testable science, and I
    hereby call the bluff.
    Is the Bible true? Are its verses correct in every word, being inspired
    by God? Or is the bible mythology, the flawed word of primitive men? Or
    are some parts inspired, and some parts flawed? If so, which parts are true
    and which parts are false, and how can one determine which is which?

Is Mark 16:18 a lie? Does the Holy Bible contain a falsehood? Is it
    telling you that you, as a true believer, can do something extremely
    dangerous without risk? All Christians who truly believe in Jesus Christ
    are hereby challenged to handle a rattlesnake without physical protection,
    or drink a glass of arsenic (or any positively lethal substance), and seek
    no medical assistance afterward. The act must be performed in the presence
    of skeptical observers, and for authenticity, skeptics should provide the
    snake and/or poison as well. Well, is your faith strong enough? Do you
    really believe as strongly as you think you do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----

The following article first appeared in Freethought Today, Vol. 15, No. 9.

Bite Kills Snake-handling Minister

A preacher, whose wife died three years ago from a snakebite, succumbed
    himself on Oct. 3, after handling a 3-foot-long timber rattler during a
    prayer meeting.

John Wayne "Punkin" Brown Jr., 34, of Tennessee, was bitten on the hand
    while preaching at the Rocky House Holiness Church in rural Alabama. He
    continued preaching for ten or 15 minutes after being bitten, then fell dead
    from the pulpit. His wife Melinda, 28, died in 1994 two days after refusing
    medical attention following a rattlesnake bite during a church service in
    Kentucky.

"He was really looking forward to that day anyway" when he could see his
    wife again, opined the Rev. Carl Porter of Kingston, Georgia, to the
    Birmingham News. Porter plans to pass along Brown's two rattlers to Brown's
    brother, by the way.

The Browns had five children.

There have been at least 75 snake-handling deaths among fundamentalists in
    the United States during this Century.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---

This event is submitted as EVIDENCE that the sacred scriptures are
    untrue.

Some may say, "He was not a true believer." Well, I submit that he was.
    He believed strongly enough to handle the snake. He was a minister. He had
    given over his life for his beliefs. He followed the word of God to the
    letter, and put his complete trust in the scripture. HE certainly thought
    that he believed. What more proof of belief could be provided? If that is
    not true belief, what is? Is your belief so strong?

Others may protest that he should not have tested the Lord. Well, it
    was the Lord, presumably, who inspired Mark (or whoever really wrote that
    book) to include that verse. After all, it is claimed that the scriptures
    are the inspired word of God. If God did not intend that people should make
    use of that verse as a guide for their lives, why did He include it at all?
    What other purpose could it possibly serve?

Preachers certainly make use of the second half of the verse: "they will
    place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." You need only
    to turn on late night TV to see the proliferation of faith-healing
    charlatans, milking the public of their hard-earned funds, by pretending to
    heal their sicknesses. Why then should the first half of the verse Mark
    16:18 be metaphorical, and the second half of it be literal? Such an
    argument is an avoidance of the irrationality of the philosophy. This is one
    more example of the harm that literal belief in the bible can produce.

So why don't you try it Tony H2O? What about you Flash? You two should give it a try.

20. Open Minded Alf Registered Member

Hello again,

Thanks for the welcome Flash it's nice to be here!

I have a question, do you (or anyone else on this board for that matter) Believe that the bible was written by God or by man? And if it was man how can you be sure that anything in it is acurate? If it was God how can you be sure that man hasn't added to it?

------------------
    Why?

[This message has been edited by Open Minded Alf (edited July 19, 2000).]

21. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Their are many things in the Bible that are inaccurate:

Error Number One:

Leviticus 11:20-23 states that there are winged insects that go around on all fours. This is completely false. All insects have six legs.

Error Number Two:

Leviticus 11:6 states incorrectly that rabbits chew their cud. They do not-- this is wrong. Why didn't God know this? And why would the All Powerful Creator of the Universe really care whether or not people ate rabbits anyway?

Error Number Three:

In Exodus 17:14, God states quite clearly: "Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven." BUT, didn't God just permanently preserve a record of them in the bible? How could the memory of them be blotted out from under heaven?

Error Number Four:

Isaiah, in 30:26, thinks that someday "the light of the moon will be as the light of the sun". This was written in the days when people thought the moon gave off it's own light. It does not. There is no "light of the moon".

Error Number Five:

Matthew 4:8 states that there is a high mountain from which all the kingdoms of the world can be seen. There is no such thing. (Note: This implies a flat earth.)

Error Number Six:

According to the bible, Ahaziah was 2 years older than his father Jehoram. What follows is an unbroken narrative from the Revised Standard Version, starting with 2nd Chronicles 21:20:

"He [Jehoram] was thirty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eight years in Jerusalem; and he departed with no one's regret. They buried him in the city of David, but not in the tombs of the kings. [That makes Jehoram 40 when he died.]
    And the inhabitants of Jerusalem made Ahazi'ah his youngest son king in his stead; for the band of men that came with the Arabs to the camp had slain all the older sons. So Ahazi'ah the son of Jeho'ram king of Judah reigned.
    Ahazi'ah was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem."

22. Infinity Registered Senior Member

FAILED BIBLE PROCHECIES:

Ezekiel predicted Babylon would conquer Egypt and was wrong.

Ezekiel predicts that Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon will conquer Egypt utterly destroying it, slaying and scattering it's people, and that it will stay uninhabited for 40 years.

In 568 BCE Nebuchadrezzar tried to conquer Egypt and Egypt survived with no apparent damage.

Aahmes ruled for another generation over a prosperous Egypt and lived to see Nebuchadrezzar die. No Egyptians were scattered or dispersed.

(Ezek 29:10 NRSV) therefore, I am against you, and against your channels, and I will make the land of Egypt an utter waste and desolation, from Migdol to Syene, as far as the border of Ethiopia.

(Ezek 29:11 NRSV) No human foot shall pass through it, and no animal foot shall pass through it; it shall be uninhabited forty years.

(Ezek 29:12 NRSV) I will make the land of Egypt a desolation among desolated countries; and her cities shall be a desolation forty years among cities that are laid waste. I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and disperse them among the countries.

(Ezek 30:10 NRSV) Thus says the Lord GOD: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt, by the hand of King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon.

(Ezek 30:11 NRSV) He and his people with him, the most terrible of the nations, shall be brought in to destroy the land; and they shall draw their swords against Egypt, and fill the land with the slain.

-----------------------------------

Ezekiel predicts the destruction of Tyre (Tyrus) by Nebuchadrezzar and is wrong again.

Ezekiel incorrectly predicts that the island of Tyre (Tyrus) will be utterly destroyed and "made a bare rock" which will "never be rebuilt".

At the time of the prediction, it seemed like to be a sure thing, but 13 years of seige later Nebuchadrezzar gives up. The Island of Tyre is not destroyed or even conquered. It is not made "a bare rock" that will "never be rebuilt".

Ezekiel admits his error in Ezek 29:17

(Here the conquest of Trye looks like a sure thing so Ezekiel makes his prediction)

(Ezek 26:1 NRSV) In the eleventh year, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me:

(Ezek 26:7 NRSV) For thus says the Lord GOD: I will bring against Tyre from the north King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon, king of kings, together with horses, chariots, cavalry, and a great and powerful army.

(Ezek 26:14 NRSV) I will make you a bare rock; you shall be a place for spreading nets. You shall never again be rebuilt, for I the LORD have spoken, says the Lord GOD.

(Ezek 27:32 NRSV) In their wailing they raise a lamentation for you, and lament over you: "Who was ever destroyed like Tyre in the midst of the sea?

(13 years of futile effort by Nebuchadrezzar later...)

(Ezek 29:17 NRSV) In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me:

(Here Ezekiel admits he was wrong)

(Ezek 29:18 NRSV) Mortal, King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon made his army labor hard against Tyre; every head was made bald and every shoulder was rubbed bare; yet neither he nor his army got anything from Tyre to pay for the labor that he had expended against it.

(So he then predicts that God decides to give Egypt to him instead, another Ezekiel prophecy that completely failed)

--------------------------------

Micah predicts the destruction of Jerusalem (which at the time was about to be invaded by Sennacherib and seemed inevitable) blaming the destruction on the corruption of the priesthood of Judah.

Jerusalem was sieged, but the destruction didn't happen.

A century later Jeremiah quotes Micah and tries to excuse the failed prophecy by saying that "the Lord changed his mind" about that destruction.

(Micah 3:12 NRSV) Therefore because of you Zion shall be plowed as a field; Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins, and the mountain of the house a wooded height.

(~100 years and no destruction later...)

(Jer 26:18 NRSV) "Micah of Moresheth, who prophesied during the days of King Hezekiah of Judah, said to all the people of Judah: 'Thus says the LORD of hosts, Zion shall be plowed as a field; Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins, and the mountain of the house a wooded height.'

(Jer 26:19 NRSV) Did King Hezekiah of Judah and all Judah actually put him to death? Did he not fear the LORD and entreat the favor of the LORD, and did not the LORD change his mind about the disaster that he had pronounced against them? ...

----------------------------

The prophet Daniel incorrectly states that in the third year of the reign of King Jehoiakim Nebuchadnezzar is king and that he conquers Judah.

The third year of Jehoiakim's reign was 606 BCE, at which time Nebuchadnezzar was not yet king of Babylon. It was in 597 BCE that Nebuchadnezzar takes Jerusalem, by then Jehoiakim had died.

(Dan 1:1 NRSV) In the third year of the reign of King Jehoiakim of Judah, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it.

(Dan 1:2 NRSV) The Lord let King Jehoiakim of Judah fall into his power, as well as some of the vessels of the house of God. These he brought to the land of Shinar, and placed the vessels in the treasury of his gods.

------------------------

Jeremiah incorrectly predicts 70 years for the Babylonian exiles but they only lasted 59 years.

The 1rst exile started in 597 BCE when Nebuchadnezzar first takes Jerusalem and appoints Zedekiah king (Judah's last king). Nebuchadnezzar has temple equipment taken away.

The start of the 2nd exile was in 586 BCE when Nebuchadnezzar takes Jerusalem a second time putting down a rebellion and destroys the temple.

The end comes in 538 BCE when Cyrus takes Babylon and ends the Babylonian kingdom. Jews are then allowed to return to Judah.

(Jer 29:10 NRSV) For thus says the LORD: Only when Babylon's seventy years are completed will I visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place.

23. Infinity Registered Senior Member

But there are also millions of non-believers. In the U.S. alone, polls consistently show about 10% of Americans call themselves 'non-religious'. That's 26 million Americans. In Europe, Russia, the Orient and Australia, it is MUCH higher. What about people working in scientific fields? A recent poll of scientists revealed that only 7% of them believe in a god of any kind.

The 1998 World Almanac and Book of Facts ranks Non-Religious first in world population, with a whopping 2,669,737,500... outranking Christians (all denominations combined) at 1,955,229,000, and Muslims at 1,126,325,000. The Almanac sites the 1997 Encyclopedia Britannica Book of the Year as its source.