The Persecuted Atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Mar 28, 2009.

?

I am an atheist and I have been

1. persecuted

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. harassed

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. beaten up

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. I am a theist

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Some other option

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Would a godless religion would be the same as an intellectual theist, by definition?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You'll have to ask iceaura. I'm not familiar with godless religions.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But, you are familiar with intellectual theists?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Aren't you?

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Never heard of them, just like I've never heard of godless religions.

That is, until you came along, of course.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Copernicus: Muslims aren't persecuted in the West, that's just your imagination. On the other hand, atheists aren't even recognised in Islamic countries.

I don't need to use my imagination their stories show up in the news.

Copernicus: Except that the stereotyping of Muslims is justified.

So you no longer believe in individual spontaneity only superficial first impressions? These superficial impressions are not based on our personal experience through travel and exchange etc. but on a dedicated media driven bias that neglects to show us anything but the strange face of a few. Its funny as of recently I have found many people relying on stereotypes to structure and organize their perceptions of other people and cultures they never interact with on any level.

Copernicus: Muslims have a strong tendency to possess a insidious hatred of the West, and an underlying contempt for atheists. And while all Muslims may not be terrorists, most terrorists and terrorist sympathisers are Muslim. Hell, mainstream Islam is burgeoning with vocal supporters of terrorism.

Really? Muslims tend to have a strong tendency towards hatred towards the West? I know of many muslims who live and work in the west and the east, some are even Iraqi, and they do not seem to be out of odds with the west. Where are these western haters you speak of? I also know a few western men and women who work in the middle-east and they have yet to speak with fear of muslims or of muslim hatred towards them. I have been to the middle-east and I cannot say I was treated any less than well so excuse me if I take your opinion as a blind stereotype.

Copernicus: It is delusion to think that atheists receive better treatment in Islamic countries than Muslims receive in progressive European nations,

I never made a comparison between how muslims and athiests are treated anywhere. I simply said I have never been persecuted for being an athiest. But out of curiosity what evidence do you have that conclusively proves that this is true?

Copernicus: In many Islamic countries, atheists aren't even recognised.

Why should it be recognized in a religious country when it isn't considered a religion? I usually say I don't believe in god or I don't adhere to any religious tradition, I never say 'I am an athiest' it sounds too much like another rigid belief system. In other words I don't think about it enough to feel the need to actively refute god or religion...its irrelevant and so doesn't take up any of my mental activity (for example someone who isn't concerned with weight or food intake never uses the word 'diet').

Copernicus: Need I say more?

Yes. What informs your beliefs? I have a friend who thinks that by never travelling he knows all he needs to know about everywhere and anywhere in the world because via the internet he is 'connected' and 'engaged' with the world. He also believes that because he lives in a cosmopolitan city he experiences and understands all cultures as they would be in their indigenious environment. I say bollocks to that.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Most serious analyses of Juche spend a fair amount of time on its theistic basis and orientation. Say, here , or here , or here .

Nor are you willing to become familiar, with even the concept.

The pattern is familiar, among all those afflicted with manifest destiny in their cultural heritage. Cultural imperialism is their reality - and we see the Methodists of Ohio sending bales of bras to the Congo, the Koranic literalists of Arabian peninsula abominate pigs raised in Ireland.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Congo is in Ohio.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of Christians living under a despot and calling him god in a country where Christians are gassed for their beliefs?

No, I'm not. Why are you?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009