The Persecuted Atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Mar 28, 2009.

?

I am an atheist and I have been

1. persecuted

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. harassed

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. beaten up

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. I am a theist

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Some other option

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. swarm Registered Senior Member

Among the 8 children in my sweetie's and my immediate family, only 1 was conceived in wedlock.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've seen plenty of "religious" people walk up and down the streets banging on doors to get people "to believe".
    i've personally been the victim of such harassment.
    i have even intentionally insulted these people so they would leave me and my family alone to no avail.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

you'll burn in hell heathen!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Didn't a recent US president make some comment along the lines of "atheists shouldn't be considered as citizens"?
    I'd sorta class that as harassment, big time.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Grow a spine dude. You sound like a woman with those pet names.

I'm more or less quite agnostic, live in Nashville, TN(middle of the bible belt), and have never had something like that happen to me. Let some theistic MF try that crap with me.

9. Bells Staff Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I suppose it would have been more manly of him if he had called his other half his "bitch".

To understand how, you need to understand the why, basically. The relatives in question had newly discovered "Jeeeesus". And they saw it as their mission to save anyone and everyone. They went door knocking to save people. Prayed on people and apparently performed exorcisms to save people. I was their perfect target. An atheist in their family who loved and trusted them since childhood (we had grown up together basically). So they saw it as their duty to 'save me and take me to Jeeessuuuss".

We are talking about previously intelligent and vibrant human beings who now kneel down in front of their TV's with their hands on said TV, praising God and Jesus, while watching Benny Hinn. They have destroyed all of their DVD's that were normal movies and replaced them with prayer and Christian DVD's. They no longer watch the news, but have subscribed to a Christian TV station and watch it 24/7. And they, in their Jesus addled brain, thought that I must be saved from Satan. They think that I am going to hell, that I am an agent of Satan, that my children are doomed to pain and suffering because they "spawned from my loins" (<<< those words were actually said to me by my cousin after I nearly died giving birth to my second child.. because apparently, it wouldn't have happened if I believed in God). So I am a spawn of Satan and my children are a spawn of me.

It would be amusing if it weren't so fucking depressing.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Thank god for that!

11. Roman Banned Banned

So you are religious, then?

lolololol
    Get a clue, dude.

Do you think that you might be overreacting a little bit, or at least a little rude? Religion is as much a set of customs and behaviors that unite people as it is a world view. Being asked to be a god parent isn't so much a religious thing as it is a trust thing. Right? I mean, it's basically asking you to look after her child should it be orphaned.

I have super religious people in my family, and I nod and smile and mumble the Lord's prayer when I have to. There's no sense in being rude about not going to church with them when I'm visiting or whatever.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Hmmm Try the page previous to your post?

That's difficult to believe.

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The 1st President George Bush.

Of course.

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Grow a BRAIN, Rude.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

No. wife/woman/partner/other half/significant other would have sufficed just nicely w/o him emasculating himself.

Funny how I always tend to meet the bitchy, flaky, immature women, but never people like this (well I have met bible thumpers but never ones who were as aggressive as the ones you had to deal with).
    Do you still talk to/associate with them?

You've been taking Snappy Comeback lessons from Derek Zoolander, haven't you?
    I'm going to go cower in the corner in fear of your exquisite wit.

16. Bells Staff Member

I tried. For sake of "family", I tried. But they are still the same (a bit worse perhaps) and I am still the same in my views. So no, we no longer speak or associate. My parents still see/speak to them often, but I do not. Which saddens me because I still remember what they used to be like. I still remember the people they used to be and to see them now, it does cause some heartache. But you get that I guess. That's life. You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives. I live in the hope for change or a few knocks to their heads to make them see sense.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I think if I knew I wasn't going to speak to them again, I'd go out with a bang by just verbally going the fuck off on them before I left.

True you can't choose your relatives, but you can choose to speak to them or not, as I've had the sad misfortune of having to make that decision a few years ago!

Just like you can't really choose who you fall in love with ('cause I know I've fallen for girls I knew that would never work out), but you can choose to not be with them due to the realization of incompatibility.

18. copernicus66 Banned Banned

"The persecution my people have suffered is greater than the persecution your people have suffered!" For some reason I'm reminded of the Zionists, who tout something similar when they are criticised for their excesses in regards to the Palestinians.

Anyhoo, atheism isn't even acknowledged in a number of Muslim countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

19. copernicus66 Banned Banned

I've lived with a number of Muslims over the years, and I've noticed a very disturbing mindset amongst them. In their eyes, atheists are the lowest on the pecking order. Naturally Muslims are at the top, because they believe in Allah the almighty. Next come the Jews and Christians, who while they may not believe in the teachings of Mohammed, are still 'people of the book'. Next come all those crazy backward pagans, but hey, at least they have religious beliefs.

And at the very bottom are the atheists. To lack a belief in a deity is anathema to many Muslims, it's essentially a sign of decadence and a lack of morality. Better to have a belief in some god, any god, than no religious beliefs at all.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  20. copernicus66 Banned Banned

Given your rabid anti-Western opinions and unashamed apologism in favour of terrorists, perhaps your imagined 'persecution' isn't totally unjustified. Maybe the security at airports can sniff out enemies of the State.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But that's hardly defined as harassment or persecution.
    How do you see that as persecution?

Baron Max

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Generally speaking, thats true. Most Muslims will consider atheists to be completely delusional, although they may not express that opinion. But I've noticed that several atheists share this opinion, about theists. And they are certainly not shy about expressing it. Even the nice ones will come up with a "Thank God I'm not a theist!" occasionally

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Because they don't swallow Islamic myths and superstitions about gods, angels, splitting moons, afterlifes and flying up to heaven? Or, perhaps it's because atheists don't have "rules of war" as a doctrine?

Yeah, that's delusional.