The Paul File

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Jul 12, 2011.

1. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Oh bull, the big players have always invested in gold as a hedge against inflation.

I was in the gold vaults at the Fed in NY about 20 years ago which has more gold than Ft Knox (on Maiden Lane, the one that was supposedly robbed in one of the Die Hard Movies) and they have small cages (made out of fence wire and 2x4s) with the name of the various countries on them (and a few shieks as well) and based on trades they move the gold from one cage to the next with a small Bobcat.

And yes, it's just one floor down in a small elevator to get to it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

well, no kidding, thats why I wrote words like big time and recent years...

Damn, thats a sightseeing I would like to experience !

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Which would mean that gold would need to be revalued at around $70,000 per troy ounce and silver at somewhere around $3500 per ounce.

Amazing how much money we've printed up since decoupling from the gold standard 40 years ago. Oh, I'm sure it doesn't really matter, I mean, politicians, prestitutes and Banksters have their Cattle's best interest in heart..... they know what they're doing, they're honest people who level with the American public.... yeah... riiiiiight.

As a rule of thumb, most financial soothsayers will suggest hedging your portfolio with around 10% gold and/or silver - do you think this is a good idea? Or do you have complete faith in fiat currency?

I think silver's around $25 an ounce? Oddly enough, due to its use in manufacturing processes (gold's rarely used in anything other than jewelry) there's actually LESS above ground silver when compared with gold. Though it's minded 20 times faster I believe.

Anyhow....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Why do you have faith in the value of gold? As you say, it isn't actually useful for much of anything. You can't eat it, and it won't keep you and your family warm and dry or cure what ails you. Is it valuable for any reason other than that other believe it to be valuable? And if so, how does it fundamentally differ from fiat currency? Simply because it's more expensive and slow to introduce more of it into the economy? What's to stop the value of gold from collapsing?

It's used in electronics and dentistry as well.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You MAY be correct, however he made a point of saying Americans CAN NOT own the card UNLESS they have dual citizenship and then they could buy it with their other citizenship.

I've heard him on many interviews and at least 3 times he mentioned Americans will not be able to have the card.

That could be for the reasons you just stated, or, others. The amount of regulations in the USA is sadly, nearly, insurmountable.

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Gold may well have an extremely stable intrinsic value, but the price of gold is certainly not anything even remotely "stable." Which immediately indicates that the price of gold does not reflect its intrinsic value. It is, rather, a question of speculation and faith - much like fiat currencies. Anyone looking to trade on the stable intrinsic value of gold would do well to run screaming to the hills, given the wild departure of the price of gold recently.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Mainly because it's been used as a store of wealth by humans for 5000+ years. That suggests gold is useful for storing wealth. But, yes, like everything, its just in our minds. I do have to say, seeing the Chinese and other central banks making large purchases of gold, suggests even the monetary system is moving away from the once almighty USD.

If/when the USD stops being the world reserve currency, Americans are going to feel much more pain than they feel now - I can promise you that. Go to ANY other country in the world and you'll pay nearly double what you do in the USA in their own currency. We've lived WAY beyond our means.

I heard a nobel prize winning "Economist" (Ooooo Ahhhhh) who, when pushed during a debate basically said this: The Asians have always purchased USD and always will purchase USD and so we can print as much as we like. This guy's a Prof. of Economics in a prestigious University. Is he correct? Will they?

I don't know. Forever is a long time.

Of course, fiat currency is useful too. Outside or stocks (which is where most of my wealth is stored) I have a reasonable amount of cash. I'm still not sure if we're going to see, deflation, stagflation or inflation. We'll see. I'm happy to have 10% of my wealth stored as physical gold and silver. If it amounts to a big worry over nothing, that's fine. I think of it as insurance.

Funny enough, in the lab, we use gold covered plates (3x5 inch) ... it's so thin you can see through it. I sometimes joke and say if gold keeps going up I"m going to start scraping it off instead of pitching them in the biohazard waste bin!

11. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

Golds increasing value is merely reflection of value of fiat currencies reversed , so indeed value of gold could be stable while its value in paper increases, its just that the value of the paper is decreasing.

Everything is relative...

The thing is that you cant print gold, thats why its easier to have faith in it rather than in piece of paper.

The Legend of Jacque Dupre'

At the end of World War I, in the year 1918, Frenchman Jacque Dupre' inherited the equivalent of $325,000.00 American dollars. Dupre' used his inheritance wisely by converting it all into French, 20 franc gold coins. Each day for the rest of his life Monsieur Dupre' spent the total sum of one gold coin to meet his needs - food, clothing, shelter, entertainment and medical.

Some years after his acquisition, French tax authorities performed the first of what would be many audits on Dupre'. The authorities could discover no means of income - no bank accounts nor visible assets - and yet - their victim - the innocent Monsieur Dupre' obviously lived quite comfortably in his modest Paris apartment.

Over the course of the following fifty-plus years the authorities would repeat their tyrannous efforts toward Dupre' every few years - each time to no avail - and whether through inflation, deflation, recession, depression, peace-time or war, Dupre' spent no more than one gold coin each day until he died.

Time passes
    Although nearly sixty years had passed since Jacque Dupre' had invested his fortune in those gold coins, he had spent but half of them by the time he died - but the final surprise was about to be discovered by his nephew.

Several weeks after Dupre''s passing, his sole heir, Andre' was clearing out his Uncle's old apartment and discovered the trunk which had held the secret for over six decades - the remaining cache of gold. Just under half of the original fortune remained - and yet it's value now exceeded two-million dollars, American.

Lessons Learned - and Fortunes Remain
    The fortune, which began valued at $325,000 was depleted by just over half the original number of 20 franc gold coins. Those that remained were now worth in excess of two-million dollars.

Take a lesson from the legacy Jacque Dupre' left his only heir - the power of intergenerational wealth provision. It remains available - even today!

Some of the French 20 franc pieces being offered in our catalog may have been a part of his treasure.
    http://www.flyingeaglegold.com/dupre.php

I´m self made trillionare, yeah, I own two these kind of notes !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Those are in very nice condition also, going to frame those and put it on the wall.

12. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Most of that human history featured economic conditions very different from what we live in today. To the point where I doubt that the comparison is meaningful.

Which is not to deny that there is a large number of people with faith in gold's long-term value, and that this contributes to the value of gold as a store of wealth. But I would not be buying much gold at current prices, personally.

Well, no - there are measures of value that are objective and clear-cut. These would be things that have clear intrinsic value - food, land, etc. It's just that they don't tend to have various nice properties that we expect from currency (easy to transport, store, exchange, etc.).

It will take a lot more gold buying by them before their gold holdings even start to approach their dollar holdings. They're doing this as a hedge on their massive bet on the dollar, not as a replacement for it.

Loss of reserve status will entail heavy inflation, naturally.

That's preposterous. I don't know where you got such a silly idea. The reserve currency status allows cheap borrowing - it doesn't drive down consumer prices.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

So it's your contention that the value of gold is fixed, and any fluctuation in its price is a sign of inflation in that currency?

Because gold has increased in price much faster than actual inflation. Ignore the currencies entirely - you can get a lot more chicken dinners for one ounce of gold today, than you could several years ago.

Except if the paper money had actually decreased by such a margin, we would have noticed the massive spurt of inflation. Instead, inflation has been very low (and even slightly negative) during that whole period.

Maybe if "everything" is limited to just "gold and paper money" that's true. But if you anchor your comparison with the cost of actual goods and services - you know, the stuff that money is useful for purchasing? - then it's easy enough to get a clear answer.

That's true, but you can dig gold out of the ground. A relatively small number of wealthy speculators can drive up the price of gold.

14. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

In the debate tonight, Ron Paul said that after WWII we lowered tax rates by 30% and the economy boomed. That would seem to be a complete fabrication. What tax rate is he talking about? Beyond that, the top marginal income tax rate was 94% when the war ended.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/04/us-tax-rates-1916-2010/

Is Ron Paul simply lying here?

15. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Now compare the debt to GDP ratio, to the tax rates as a function of the year [and President]

16. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Except today there is no regulation that prevents us from buying/selling gold.

At one time Americans weren't allowed to own gold bullion, but that ended a long time ago.

Today we can, and so there is no regulation that says we couldn't have a card that works like that, but like I said, the company would have to keep up with the IRS tax regulations, and in essence, every purchase of the card would equal a sale of gold and thus the accounting/filing aspect of it to meet IRS requirements would be difficult at best.

17. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

No. We would be in gold standard if thats the case, eh ?
    Gold being stable, one ounce of gold today is one ounce of gold tomorrow.

There is more than inflation in that, but inflation is one reason why banks are loading their vaults, and the crumbling faith in the monetary system as a whole is the another.

LOL, Maybe mass production of chicken dinners has something to do with that.

Maybe you got your numbers from biased sources ? In real life almost everything costs more month by month. Also, investors are looking to the future (speculating) and making the bets before it happens, otherwise it would be too easy to invest...
    You just wait, the inflation is already here and will accelerate.
    I´m willing to bet on it big time, oh wait, I have done it already by buying lots of silver and some gold too...

Maybe you want to read the story of Mr Dupre´again.

And with fiat money it cant be done ? What I have been reading silver is currently been pressed down by the speculators by naked short selling (investigations are on, but dont expect any results soon...)
    Something to think about, silver/gold ratio has been historically 1/16 or close, and that was in the times when there was a lot more silver around than today and now the ratio is around 1/55 !
    About digging gold, its much much more expensive than printing paper, the gold comes to existence only through hard work.

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Inflation is zip.
    Why would banks load their vaults with Gold?

What is this "crumbling faith in the monetary system" that you are talking about?

Maybe your faith is crumbling but stop with the projections.

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have something to do with tax. Which is, quite frankly, IMO, bullshit.

If you buy gold bullion at $200 an ounce and sell it later at $5000 an ounce, why on earth should the US government get ANY of the profit made therein? I mean, it'd by like paying tax at a garage sale - or when selling your used car.

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Why would you think that? I find History to repeat itself and it seems IMO people are driven by the same instincts now as 2000 years ago.
    I wouldn't either. More because I'm still wondering if there won't be deflation in the coming years.

I'm not sure if it's all that clear cut. I mean, 5 years ago a property was worth $300,000 that's only worth $90,000 today. We don't normally see those sorts of swings in the price of gold do we?

(Unless the paper gold market goes crazy and people start demanding physical).
    Yes, not a replacement of it. If QE3, QE4, QE5 comes along, well, the price of gold and silver will go up. If there's no more QE then it will go down.

See, this is why it's idiotic to give a money monopoly to a Central Bank. Because they can do just about anything, no one knows what to do with their wealth. That's just stupid in my opinion. Why on Earth are people do happy to be lead around by the nose?
    It will probably happen in our life times.

People think American workers "are just as good if not better than Chinese workers....". I don't. Not on the whole. It's not even possible to get Americans to pick our own fruit. It's too hard. We NEED Mexicans. And the study habits of most Americans pale in comparison to Asians. So, we have a lazier slightly fatter dumber society who, for now, has the reserve currency. Let's see how that works out for us.

Whatever drove this Nation to reach for greatness was lost long ago in a fat-fold somewhere ......

That's been my experience :shrug:

21. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

Do you have a point here ? Projections, LOL, I´m not entitled to have an opinion ?

Please tell me then why are they buying gold, you seem to know ?
    Dont hold the facts just for yourself you know...

Central bank gold buying at 40-year high

Central banks made their largest purchases of gold in decades in the third quarter as a sharp drop in prices in September spurred buying to diversify reserves.

The scale of the purchases at 148.4 tonnes on a net basis was far bigger than previously disclosed and puts central banks on track to buy more gold than at any time since the collapse of the Bretton Woods system 40 years ago, the last time the value of the dollar was linked to gold.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c0025500-10ef-11e1-a95c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1jzE3MYcF

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I could not get to your linked article (It briefly appeared & could see it was 17 Nov 11, but it is not easy to search FT even after registering) However, I found this (with the last 28 days filter active):

"... China’s gold imports via Hong Kong in November were leapt 20 per cent from the previous month to 103 tonnes. Wednesday’s data, released by Hong Kong, brought China’s total gold imports from the territory to 389 tonnes during the first 11 months of 2011. The Hong Kong data are considered a proxy for China’s overall gold imports, which Beijing does not disclose. ..."

From: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e0a0726-3c36-11e1-8d38-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1k0UkdcUg OR http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/6e0a0726-3c36-11e1-8d38-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1k0SC68CF

China is obviously accelerating gold imports (>25% of 2011 first 11 month total in November alone) so probably will import about 500 tons in 2011. Thus it seems China ALONE is importing at least three times more than your total for "central banks." In fact each of the last five months has seen China import more gold than the prior month. I also note that for last three years, China has been the world's largest producer of gold.

I (Billy T) cannot answer your question in general as to why central banks are buying more gold now, but here is why I think China is:

Some years ago, in posts I suggested China would issue gold backed RMB bonds (but backed only for central banks) when China has further reduced the total of Dollars held in its reserves. I.e. take a ONE TIME loss on them for EVERY YEAR savings on the growing cost of its import, as with RMB as the preferred reserve currency, (for buying oil etc.) US & EU will be in depression. China needs to achieve other changes before it is to China's economic advantage to kill the dollar as recently discussed here: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2890330&postcount=31
    And earlier, back in 2009 I said:
    From post of 10/23/09 at: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2394434&postcount=192

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Well let me ask you, Do you think if you buy 10 shares of stock for $200 and later sell them for $5,000 that the US Government should get ANY of the profit made therein?