The Over-Population Myth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mind Over Matter, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

And how would we know if they "doctored" them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I suppose we wouldn't, but, I would like to know the real growth (or at least their measurements). See, I don't think populations are going to peak. They're going to keep on growing until the shit hits the fan.

All species expand until they use up all their resources and then die in their filth.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

My thought too which is why I'm skeptical of the U.N. "leveling off"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. elte Valued Senior Member

Some estimates for optimal population range from 500 to 2000 million. For indefinite sustainability, 50 million is more suitable ecologically. Contraception and abstinence are the moral methods humans can use to lower the population, so even if we start now, we will have to endure a deteriorating ecosystem for several more decades. So, the sooner we start, the better.

8. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I know for a fact that over-population is a myth. I remember when my family took a trip back to the east coast. During the time we were traveling, there wasn't enough tickets for everyone in the family due to them being sold out. So me, my brother, and a cousin took a Greyhound instead because we figured it would be fun.

And let me tell you, there's a ton of open space in the United States. Especially in the state of Texas, I remember traveling for hours through Texas seeing nothing but open space. The same could be said for the Northern States as well. I remember traveling through Iowa and Nebraska and it was nothing but cornfields. I mean it's one thing to hear about it, but it's stunning once you see how much space in this country is allocated to growing corn.

After that trip, it made me more proud to live where I live, for the most part, especially in the south, the country looks like complete shit. Where I live, 99% of the roads have side walks, there's not a plethora of archaic power-lines lining the streets, we actually have elaborate dividers on our roads, complete with lush flowers, plants and scenic trees.

Now I completely understand why real-estate is so high in California, the other states simply can't compare. Admittedly, our Metropolitan areas leave much to be desired, however our immense number of upscale suburbs can not be matched.

9. elte Valued Senior Member

The problem with population isn't space per se. It is that the resources and restorative power of the planet to meet the needs of the population are dwindling. Check out the analysis of the critical fossil fuels aspect of our problem, which is given at the site linked to in another thread: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=104976

10. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

Your remark is so insulting and arrogant that you should be banned permanently.

Everyone alive on earth today could fit inside one cubic mile, easily.

Malthusian nonsense was discredited decades ago, but this never stops some people from arrogant pontificating.

Carl Sagan also claimed that there are too many people. He and his wife, Ann Druyen, had five children.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Overpopulation was forestalled by the genetic manipulation of crops. This increase in productivity can only go so far. But I agree we don't have anything to worry about. Peak oil will mean far less energy and food for everyone. Populations will naturally decrease through malnutrition and economic privation.