The Origin of Man

Discussion in 'History' started by lixluke, Mar 18, 2004.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

When and did the first actual humans homo sapien sapien appear?
    Where did it come from?

I figure the first homo sapien sapien appeared in Atlantis or Africa. Then they had children, and their numbers grew. Eventually, they spread all over the world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Atlantis? :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Kenya and Ethiopia specifically are the cradle of mankind

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Vocabulary comparison made possible by the advent of massively parallel multiprocessing has greatly advanced the science of linguistics.

Research performed in just the past five years on the analysis of the vocabularies of the world's languages has found relationships that were never dreamed of. For example, the Ural-Altaic-Finno-Ugric family that spreads from Finland to Turkey to Mongolia is related to our own Indo-European family. At this point the evidence indicates that there are at most two language families, instead of the dozens or hundreds that were formerly assumed.

In another few years, we will know whether the two might be related and that there is only one. All languages may be descended from a single ancestor that we brought with us from Africa, instead of springing up spontaneously in multiple locations.

If this is true, it would indicate that language may have been the one invention that allowed Homo sapiens to finally venture out from the relative comfort of Africa, and populate every significant land mass on Earth except Antartica.

And we've at least been sending cruise ships down there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

Try a search for the website

"walking with cavemen" by the BBC.

It should tell you everything you want to know, and more

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Based on fossil evidence, there is little doubt that Homo sapiens first appeared in Africa and spread from there.

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

That's what they'd like us to think, but both you and I know that the human species proliferated outward from Atlantis.

12. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

We wouldn't be in Atlantis unless the spaceship from the dog star Sirius dropped us off. Obviously!

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

So the first homo sapien sapien first appeared in Africa, and not Atlantis? Where in Africa? What date is speculated to be the time when they first appeared? What path did they take from there in order to end up populating most of the world?

Though a little off topic, your insights about language are always interesting. Keep studying! It is always nice to meet new friends that know a great of interesting stuff. By the way, what are the two families?

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think the first homo-sapiens are thought to have arisen in east africa in what is known as ethiopia today, not sure of the date speculated exactly, i think its only something like a million years ago though. Could be wrong. For some reason I know its either 4 millions years ago, 2 million years ago, 1 million years ago, or 600 000 years ago.
    I don't know why but I know its one of them, can't remember which. 600 000 sounds a little suspect.
    They probably stayed there for a long time, very gradually branching out around africa.
    And in fact populating the world would have been a fairly slow process. Sped up a little more than other animals due to the discovery of farming which allowed them to go places where their usual food sources weren't.
    But not different to other animals in any particularly significant way.
    When the british started setting out to find other countries is where it all started snowballing.
    The people before them weren't trying to go to other countries, they just naturally spread around the globe like other animals.
    For some reason humans purposefully migrating to other continents had a wierd affect on the world.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There's an island in the eastern Mediterranean that was destroyed by a series of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions during the classical Greek period. Since it happened iteratively, a good portion of its population was able to flee to other lands. Its civilization was as advanced as any in the region. It is certainly the source of the Atlantis myths. It's likely that the Greek explorers who made it to Gibraltar named the Atlantic Ocean after the mythical Atlantis, rather than vice versa. Forgive me for not being able to find the bookmark for this subject. When I do I'll provide it.
    The first part is easy, the only way out of Africa on foot was across the Isthmus of Suez. If the world was in an ice age the Red Sea would have been pretty shrunken, but even as wide as it is today it leaves an easy-to-find route. From there the rest of Eurasia was pretty much a matter of putting one foot in front of the other. I don't know which region has the oldest evidence of habitation by H. sapiens, but the Indo-European ethnic group that now dominates much of the area is a relative newcomer, spreading out of its homeland around the east end of Anatolia no more than four or five thousand years ago. They seem to have encountered and displaced earlier tribes of sapiens just about everywhere, e.g. the Etruscans, the Harappans, the builders of Stonehenge, the rest of the clan that included the Basques. Sapiens landed in Australia about 40,000BCE.

Estimates differ on their arrival in the Americas; the first wave -- the Athabascans who are the ancestors of all the native peoples south of the Rio Grande and most of the ones east of the Rockies -- came over sometime between 20,000BCE (which would have been by boat following the coastline) and 12,000BCE (which would have been on foot across the Bering Land Bridge that existed during that Ice Age). There are some anomalous campsites in South America that predate this migration. It could be an earlier group that didn't survive or explorers who came across the ocean from Africa or Asia.
    All I know is that they call the one that has been studied most thoroughly "Eurasiatic". It combines Indo-European, Sino-Tibetan, Mongol-Japanese-Korean-Finno-Ugric-Ural-Altaic, and I think Semitic-Hamitic. I can't remember which one the languages of Africa, the New World, the Caucasus, Malayo-Polynesian, Australian, etc. fall into.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Agriculture is an extremely recent discovery, late Neolithic, no evidence anywhere earlier than about 8,000 BCE. Modern man had made it to every major land mass by then, including Australia and the New World. Did it all by just hunting and gathering.

The appearance of the first multi-species community, Homo sapiens and Canis familiaris, was a huge boost to the prosperity of both species due to the enormously improved effectiveness of cooperative hunting, but that only happened in 10,000 BCE. Still way too late to have any bearing on our entrenchment all over the globe.

17. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Isn't it some where near Iraq or some shit like that.

18. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

No, that's Mesopotamia, the Fertile Crescent, the cradle of civilization, not of mankind.

Mankind was "born" in Kenya or Ethiopia or somwhere thereabouts.

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

No they say the cradle of CIVILISATION is in iraq or some shit, not mankind, thats ethiopia/kenya/tanzania(one of them).

Fraggle, no arguments from here. Thats actually what I thought but then I remembered how the massai drove cattle and for some reason that made me assume we must have had farming before we left africa. But yeah I guess someone showed it to them later or they independently developed it themselves.

Do you know where man apparently first joined forces with canis familiaris? In which geographic location?
    Also(you might not know this) but are there any wolf fossils in america from before humans were thought to have spread there?
    I'm curious if perhaps it is similar to the dingo/aborigine relationship that migrated to australia. In that wolves followed north american indians over there(or vice versa).
    It seems reasonable to assume from the indications that humans and canines were 'relying' on eachother for some time before they actually joined teams and lived together.
    Its kind of cool.
    More people should have dogs IMO, you're an incomplete organism without one.

20. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Good job.

You just repeated what a wrote.

21. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

aaahh yeah, what rappaccini said

22. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Damn you and your quick posting.

I had to backtrack and remove the insults from my post when you proved to be a rational person.

I don't like having to do that.

23. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Yes, my plan all along was to inconvenience you. Thats the only reason I ever posted in this thread. I don't even care about the origin of man