The need for GOD...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by =SputniK-CL=, Dec 12, 2003.

1. SVRP Registered Senior Member

Very good debate from both Quantum Quack and Godless, and thank you for your responses.
    I must agree with Quantum Quack, though. How can you place limits on something that declares itself without limits? How can you categorize something that does not conform to any category? And how can anyone then turn around and say, "God is a man-made concept and not real," when man/woman cannot define this concept? Someone once said (I don't remember who) that man could not have thought of God unless there was a God to put the thought into man.

A extra bonus, a copy-and-paste section from a previous thread discussion:
    More food for thought

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TimotheusBenj Registered Member

Well, we can't see the wind. Wherefore, can we can we say that it doesn't exist? Yet, we know it's there by it's effects. Well, let's see if ther are any effects of God around us. Look at the acclaimed big bang theory. You might be able to bring up evidence of a cataclismic event that formed planets, but where did the huge energy force come from to make it? Atheist believe in the laws of Nature correct? Well, what of the Moral Law that seems to be in each human? No matter where you go, you find that we all seem to abhor murder, theft, rape, and I could go on naming crimes. The point is, there is some Moral Law that we all know. It's different from the other laws by the fact that we can choose to follow or rebel against it. It would be naive to think that the coupling of molecules would develop such a law as that, because there would be know need if we were only here to survive until another creature killed us or nature did so. If all creatures came from one comman ancestral being, then why isn't there another one that seeks to develop technological advances or hone intellectual thought. Why would be expect children to obey if they are supposedly a more perfect being than us because they should be a little more evolved than us? I give you these questions to dwell on. For, I pray it brings you to look at Christ without any biases. It seems odd that of all the religions, this one has become the target of them all. They seem the most peaceful when dragged off to be killed, and more shocking is that they show love to them that are killing them. It is a proven thing that the blood of Christians serves as a testimony, because they die not in fear but in loving faith. We all place our faith in something. God bless. Bye.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Timotheus,

Bad logic. We study climatic effects and trace them back to wind etc. You are starting by assuming God and then looking for something to justify your belief.

Why did it have to come from anywhere? Why can’t the energy have always existed?

Most do, but not all atheists believe the same thing.

There is no such thing – these are simply survival traits that have evolved and made us a fairly successful species, although the dinosaurs lasted much longer than us so far.

That’s called intelligence that evolved and made us successful.

Again, there is no such law. It is simply a randomly evolved trait that appears fortuitous.

Because when one species gains an advantage it tends to dominate and exclude competition.

Because children they aren’t considered more perfect than their parents. Evolution can be destructive as well as constructive. Far more species have become extinct because they did not adapt than those that have survived. A child can acquire bad traits from each parent rather than good ones – the process is largely random.

But Christ is only a fictional character in a fairy tale.

Perhaps because Christians demonstrate a condescending and arrogant evangelical attitude and intrude into the affairs of others where they are neither needed or wanted.

The Crusades come to mind where Christians massacred many thousands of innocent people – all in the name of Christ.

This is called stupidity – to die believing in a fictional afterlife.

No, that is an irrational religious trait – those who can think clearly have no need to accept anything on blind faith.

Kat

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TimotheusBenj Registered Member

Well, you may see chart the climate effects, but you still haven't shown where you can go outside and look around you to see the wind. I don't know of anyone who can say, "I see the wind changing direction from the North, so I'm going to walk to the East to doge it."

It may have always existed, but such an energy would have exhibited itself before such an event. The evolutionary and Big Bang theory stand solely on the hopes that millions upon millions of chances occured together. I think it takes more blind faith to believe that such chances occured than to believe in Christ.

True, but they all believe in the basic laws which can't be refuted, such as gravity, inertia, and so on.

Why would there be any need for pity? If we were meant to only survive, then there is no need for the weaker creatures. Hitler thought upon these lines and even stated this in his "Mein Komp." Nihilism degrades humanity to a bunch of organisms that are only worth the supremacy they have until something else comes up and defeats us. Now that is disappointing goal for a so called species of intelligence.

Again, random evolution takes more blind faith than Christianity. If we are just randomly selecting fortuitous genes, then sooner or later we'll just end up with superhuman creatures that just prolong their life in a world filled with hoplessness and pain.

Well, that is easy to state, if the world was always connected and all places accessable, but wouldn't their be some place where be locations where certain creatures would be sheltered from the progression of the human race. We find that we know little of aquatic and tropical locations, so it's hard to state such a thing as that.

That could be true, but that would mean we could find many instances of regression in species, which doesn't seem to be so common place that scientists are running around raising them as banners showing evidence for such a claim.

Actually, there is historical evidence to back His existence. A Roman historian records information about Him, as well as the Jewish historian, Josephus, whom we get our information about the Seige of Jerhusalem and other historical matters.

Sadly, many do, but that is mostly in America. Here, after generations of laxness and lack of persecution, apostacy has risen greatly in the multitude of our nation. If you look at the true basis of Christianity, it is supposed to portray love and humility instead of hate and arrogance. I apologize on behalf of those who have done that, because Christ is also saddened by these actions.

That is a sad point in our history, but done not in the true thoughts of the faith, rather the thought of the Papacy's bank account. The Holy Land was a place of great value to them, both financially and sentimentally. They acted on the values of "God, Gold, and Glory" while mostly excluding the first. Christ came to give a "sword" but His sword was His Word, the Bible.

Well, what of the Apostles. The first time they ran like cowards and hid when Jesus was taken before the High Priest. They didn't speak up when He at His trial, most didn't go to His execution, and they hid after that for many days after His burial in fear. All of a sudden, here's twelve men speaking boldly of His resurrection to the very people they had been hiding from! I don't think that's a natural coarse of action. All but one was martyred because of what they preached, and many they were always told to recant before their execution, which of course they didn't.

Actually, you put your faith into your atheism in some form. You trust that it's the truth, thus placing faith in it. We all hope our spouses will be faithful. So, in short we all do put our faith in something

Timothy

8. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

No! you've never witnessed the change in directio of windmills?. Or the direction a trees when the wind flows through it, or your own clothing, for example. Use your imagination, you've been given one, I see the wind all the time, have you not been to the desert?. I see which way the wind flows just by looking at the wind picking up the sand!!.

Actually there's scientific evidence that space is moving outward, from a finite point, there's further evidence to sugest that a big-bang did accur than there is to find some mythical god, or even its suppose son christ, which was an illiterate nut case!. Though taken seriously by other gullible idiots of the time, and not by many however 250 years latter we find that the write about this dood, and make him some kind of god. Now that's a leap of (BLIND FAITH) to believe such rhetoric, without any evidence what so ever.

This is what religion has done for you, it has warped your mind to look forward to death, because of your own views of hoplessness and pain, religion is giving you a promise of a better place of existence, hence once you buy into the crapopsychological mythos of religion, you are easily controled to attains such a goal, hell that's the promise muslims give to the suitside bombers, (ie 15 virgins, wine, heaven, allah beside you) that's the kind of shiet, that all religions kind of promise a better place, elsewhere because they can't obtain happiness and bliss here and now.
    There's no faith in evolution, evolution is a scientific theory, however there's is faith, in the belief of a better life after death crap, only if you'r goody tooshoes, abide by some bullshiet book's mythological crapola, and the such, will you attain the bliss, after death, what a load of crap!!

Yea there's evidence such a dood existed, however if you really look into it, there were several messiahs, only this nut suceeded where others did not become as popular, but, look into it, and you will see, that jesus popularity did not happen till about 300 years latters after his death, hence the religious nut's of the day were looking for some mythological character and his name came up, (YeA!! UREKA) lets make him god, saith the writers and inventers of false religious crapomythological invention and create a whole new religion based upon this individual, Christians!! Hence there were no such thing as christians before christ, and it plainly got invented.

Yawns politely, Yea!! Yea! right, the bible was writen by men, apx, 300 years after Jesus death, and if you were to read the scriptures you will see the truth upon jesus threats, to the unbelievers in him, just like any little boy who thinks has power over others, he threatens to damnation those who oppse him, and big daddy in the sky will see to it. Open your eyes!

Actually you've got not a clue, what faith is!, an atheist has not blibical, mytholigical faith, however having faith in a wife, is whole lot different than having faith, in invisible, unprovable, god. Having faith that the computer will tipe out this message, is a lot different than having faith, in an so called (after life) which makes no sense what so ever. Faith in the mythological sense is just the acceptance of others assertions, faith in scientific theory, or fact can be proven by oneself, if one goes through the trouble to do the experiment or research, what ever it takes. However faith in an unprovable existence of an entity of which there's no evidence of existence is blind faith!.

Godless.

9. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

frankly I'm more concerned about her/him/your name- "=sputniK-CL=". It sounds a little too commie for my liking if you know what I mean...

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

A while ago I wrote this little ditty to show in an amusing way my thoughts about this subject.....I hope you have a smile at it....

In search for G

Once upon a time in a not to distant present, lived a man that every one wanted to find and understand. His Name started with the letter “G” and some called him Gravity and some called him God.

For thousands of years people everywhere have been looking for him. The scientist, the physicist have spent millions of hours in the pursuit of “G”. The religious people have spent thousands of years defending him and ideologically supporting his existence.

All they knew was that “G” could be felt and not seen and that he was a very attractive proposition for finding him made one like him. If one could feel his attraction one was a part of him. And of course through out reality one could feel his pull. But the attraction was from all directions and we all stumble trying to understand where to start looking for “G” was every where. and no where at the same time.

The scientists called him a weak force and the religious people called him the strongest force. A lot of people couldn’t care either way and couldn’t decide what he was.

But any way, “G” was pretty smart because he knew that if he stayed out of sight and kept every one chasing the wrong tail he would stay unknown for longer but he also knew that one day some one is going to find him and he will become known.

He knew that the best way to hide was in fact not to, in fact he knew that if he put the answer right in front of the people looking for him that they would never find him.

Then one day people started to realise the truth. That the “G” they were chasing was actually themselves and that when they looked in the mirror they could feel him by simply feeling themselves. For “G” could only be felt and not seen.

11. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Then I looked to the mirror, and found "G", is I!.

Good Quantum, I liked that one.

Godless.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

And God sayith..."Follow me"..........and they did

13. TimotheusBenj Registered Member

I must ask you, do you know what science is? Science is the study of what man can get samples of in this universe. If you boil down all their advanced speeches, you find that they say something to the effect of, "I placed 'A' in a 300 degree flame and got B," or, "I placed C in -x degree temperature and D was produced." That's the jist of what they can do. We notice that God isn't part of this universe, because no one seems to be able to attain any evidence of this world. That means He either doesn't exist or that He does but is a separate entity outside of the boundaries of our universe. Well, I know from experience that the latter is true. He's real, and He doesn't have to rely on statements of me, you, or anyone to state this to be true. You may say that I only have bought into a sad tale because I can't enjoy this world, and I'm hoping for reprieve in the next. It is true that this one saddens me, but I realizd that no matter what I did for enjoyment there was something I couldn't attain. It's not that I have a bad life, because I actually have sufficient finances, a great family, and plenty of talents that I can use. I speak not to brag, but to show that I'm not believing in something because I have nothing in this world, rather because I had those things. No matter what we are all going to die, that is true. Yet, I wonder if you can look at that prospect with a bright outlook. For, in the end, what do you have? You may have health, wealth, and plenty of friends, but I don't think it's going to keep you from dying. You can't tell me without a doubt that Heaven and Hell are figments of our imagination, because you don't know. I don't see you producing evidence to support such claims that it is a fairy tale. How do you look at death? Is it a comfort to you that you think it is nothing? Just a meaningless end? Are you sure you want to take the chance of not seeing if this person, whom you call warped minded and gullible, is telling the truth. What to I have to gain? I don't think I become famous, rich, or more powerful in any aspect if you accept or reject what I say. Look at the disciples. What did they have to gain in telling Christ's gift to the world? 11 of the 12 were brutually murdered, while the twelvth was exiled. They didn't get anything from it, in fact they were hated by those who used to be their closest friends and family. The Aposte Paul was of the highest groups in society, yet he gave all that up to tell of Jesus, whom he had once persecuted. It may not seem like much, but there must have been something to get them to give up everything in this world besides fairy tales. They must have seen something other than a figment of their imagination to go doing something that promised nothing but pain in this world. Also, why make a God that told them to go about life living like He does, perfectly and blamelessly? If I was going to make a god, surely I would make one that would have me revenge myself if I'm wronged, do anything to receive gain, and always give me whatever I want. Yet, I don't serve a God like that. I will apologize for the actions of Christians whom don't seem to be living what they're preaching, but that is something that was always seen. I'm not excusing them, yet I want to tell you that the Apostles saw it in their day. They had to constantly go up against people trying to dillude Christ's messages. That's why Christians should read the Bible to find out what they are really saying they belive, because many don't know. You might want to look at what the Bible says, and even compare what it says with what historical evidence shows. A good book on this is, "The Case for Christ," by Lee Strobel. He was an atheist and an Investigative reporter who wanted to get to see if Christ could possibly be real. He allows the reader to take the evidence he finds and make their own decision, so there's no pressure to make you accept or reject what he finds. Please, just check it out before you go knocking Christ and Christianity. He wasn't settling for "the Bible tells me so" answers.

Here's a site to a review of the book: http://prayerfoundation.org/books/book_review_case_for_christ.htm

God bless,
    Timothy

14. TimotheusBenj Registered Member

Actually, what I was saying is that you can't look at wind directly. Sure, you can see when it picks up things, but can you see that which is picking up the objects? I have enough of an imagination to put some color to it, but in truth we can't truly see what it looks like because it, by itself, is invisible.

The only oddity is the fact that they picked a carpenter from the middle of nowhere to be their King. Especially with that He said. "You have heard, 'an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' Verily, I say unto, when someone strikes you on the cheeck, turn the other cheek." That doesn't sound like something we would want to do, yet they gave their lives for Him.

Actually, historical evidence supports that the gospels were written apx. 3-30 years after His death AND resurrection. You don't have the body to prove He is still dead somewhere. With such weight on the Romans and Jews, they would have wanted that body found. Also, the soldiers would have had to be killed for failing to do their duty, as the Law demanded. Even if it was written later, people take Alexander the Great's biography to be truth and it was written 400 to 500 years after his death! Now, that's a considerably longer time than that of the Gospels.

God bless,
    Timothy

15. TimotheusBenj Registered Member

P.S.: He constantly followed Jehovah's (God's) example. In Ezekiel 18 Jehovah says, "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dies, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye."

Also, Jesus says in John 3:16, "For God so loves the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." He didn't want anyone to die, so He gave up His most precious treasure, His Son. I think that's love that is above that we men normally have. He didn't want you to suffer a greater pain than what this world would give you, so why do you knock Him so?

God bless,
    Timothy

16. arnoldmiro Banned Banned

Do you beleive that God is perfect ? I do myself.
    Do you beleive that God is independent ? Which means that he needs nothing to keep his presence, nothing weakens him, and he is eternal has no beginning and has no end ?
    If so, althogh I beleive that you have a mature way of thinking, I am very much surprised in your beleif that God had a son !!
    Why would he have a son ? does he need a son to inherit his kingdom ?
    Humans have sons and daughters to keep the race. Is God mortal that he needs to keep his race ?
    The commen weakness of all normal humans is their children, we are all ready to sacrify our lives for our children's. How would God, and his the PERFECT, sacrifies his child for humans who are drawing in their sins ?
    Does this make sense ?
    If we assume that we have a God and his Son, who rose from the dead and he is now aside his father, will there be a small possibility that the Father and Son become indifferent. We are in a situation of two Gods the father and the Son.
    How would it be if the father wants the sun to rise from the east while the Son wants it to rise from the west ?
    The possibility of having a rebel in heaven is quite high.
    My dear friend, having a father and a son as gods is nonsense, there should be only one god so that the cosmos be the way it is.
    God never needs a son or a wife as God is eternal.
    If you need to know the truth about the right religon, search and if your are keen to know, true God will guide you.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Do you beleive that God is perfect ?

Would your use of 'perfect' be that of a noun, verb or adjective?

If so, althogh I beleive that you have a mature way of thinking, I am very much surprised in your beleif that God had a son !!

Interesting that your religion and theirs differs so much although both claim to have knowledge of god.

So, one must ask, who is god lying to and why would he lie? Is that perfection?

18. arnoldmiro Banned Banned

My dear friend,
    When I said God is perfect ( I mentioned perfect as an adjective ).
    A lying God !!!
    If God is lying, then he would not be perfect; accordingly, he would not be worth worshipping.
    If a man told you that God has a wife, and he has not, in that case who would be lying? The one who told you that or God himself ?
    The obvious answer that God did not lie, but the man who told you that he has a wife is the lyer.
    Our mind is our tool of understanding.
    What are the characteristics of God that makes him worth worshipping ?
    He should be eternal : If he was created by someone else, then the one who created him deserves to be worshipped.
    If he is mortal, then one day he will die, then why should I worship him if death can beat him.
    He should be strong : On earth a weak king never survive, what about the cosmos, how would a weak God keep it running the way it is ?
    One can know God through his creatures. Hence, it will be a limited knowlage.
    Accordingly, we shall need God to contact us to tell us more about himself and whey we were created.
    If a man said that he is God's messenger. Would one beleive him unless one asks him what is your evidence ?
    He must have a miracle to prove that he is the messenger of God.
    If you recognise the miracle then the man is not lying, and he is the messenger of God. Then you should listen to what he says, and comply with his instructuion, as then you will be obaying God's orders.
    One must ask, what is the miracle that still excists ? a miracle that you can see and recognise ?
    Search for it and you shall find it.
    Peace be upon you.

19. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

re:Q25's post-

I have come to the conclusion that we needed a harsh environment, and the pressures and complexities it includes, to develop our level of consciousness.
    The fact that we don't have world peace, and a livable planet, is our responsibility however because, once we developed this consciousness, we didn't follow it's reasoning, and prefer to live as animals. This will change someday, I hope, and then all those prayers will make sense. EDIT- they make sense now, on some level, when a person is helped and not harmed by someone else, who takes the time or has the courage to be conscious.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

If God is lying, then he would not be perfect; accordingly, he would not be worth worshipping.

Then it appears that you and every other theist have a big problem on your hands.

If a man told you that God has a wife, and he has not, in that case who would be lying? The one who told you that or God himself ? The obvious answer that God did not lie, but the man who told you that he has a wife is the lyer.

First of all, lets use your first example of god having a son as it is more relevant. Secondly, lets assume the 'man' is equivalent a theist as you in regards to commitment to his religion.

God told him he had a son, therefore god would be lying.

If he was created by someone else, then the one who created him deserves to be worshipped.

That line of thinking could go on endlessly, who created the creator of god and so on... As you can see, it is impossible to know who to worship, therefore you are worshipping a false god.

If he is mortal, then one day he will die, then why should I worship him if death can beat him.

Exactly.

If a man said that he is God's messenger. Would one beleive him unless one asks him what is your evidence ? He must have a miracle to prove that he is the messenger of God.

The problem is in perception. Many can witness a phenomenon and call it a miracle when in fact it is little more than something they are not able to explain, either due to their own ignorance or their need to believe in such things. This type of activity continues today with UFO's and other such pseudo-scientific nonsense.

If you recognise the miracle then the man is not lying, and he is the messenger of God. Then you should listen to what he says, and comply with his instructuion, as then you will be obaying God's orders.

Smoke and mirrors are a messengers best friend. Con-men to this day continue to bilk the gullible as they did back then.

One must ask, what is the miracle that still excists ? a miracle that you can see and recognise ?
    Search for it and you shall find it.

You may or may not have had time to read a number of posts here but many have been searching their whole lives and have found nothing.

And when asked, theists cannot tell you when/where/how to search. One can conclude they only found what their imaginations conjured.

21. arnoldmiro Banned Banned

The beginning is the best place to start.
    As I understood, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you do not beleive in God.
    In that case there are two other possibilities left to beleive in :
    1) A devine cosmos ( Has no beginning and will have no end ).
    2) The great explotion theory.
    Let me know what do you beleive in so that we can walk together towards the truth.

And regarding your latest message :

There is only one right religion, it can not be two ore more. And the others are either perverted or man made religions
    If a creator is created, then he is a creature like you and me.
    There shall be only one who created us all. The one who began every thing.
    The miracle is the Quran, which is the words of God.
    If interested in knowing more about it, you can receive a free copy if you contacted this site http://www.beconvinced.com/en/main.php

Peace be upon you

22. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

I need to light a fire how many copies can I get, do they do bibles as well.
    are you an atheist, as you seem like one to me. or do you believe in christianity or sikhism of hinduism or buddism or shintoism, etc...

23. arnoldmiro Banned Banned

If this message is to me, then do not bother about my religion.
    Tell me about yours. Beleiving in no God ? So what do you beleive in ?