the "n" word

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sevenblu, Nov 8, 2004.

1. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

I totally agree with you: A person should be able to talk about the word "nigger".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

if a black person calls another black person a nigger, it's just a greeting
    if a white person calls a black person a nigger, it's an insult...

that makes no sense

the word nigger, as i intend it, is as inoffensive as the words Brit, Aussie, Frenchie

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Excuse me? It's not exactly a 4 sylable SAT word.

The proper reaction seems to be to look around the room, studder, and quietly say 'um... you know'. If you were calling someone a nigger, I'd fully expect them to wait for you after class... likewise if you called them a bastard or some other insult.

But you were talking about the word and why it has a stigma attached to it. It's incredibly stupid and empowering to not even allow open dialog on A WORD.

I went to college in Philly, and when we had discussions in class people understood the difference.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I've had many a successful 'philosophical' conversation with black people
    about the word 'nigger'. Really the way I do it is simply get agreement from
    everyone involved in the conversation that the word is going to be used
    for discussion 'as is'. Works like a charm.

8. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

People who are self-conscious shouldn't venture into a house of mirrors.

9. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"The proper reaction seems to be to look around the room, studder, and quietly say 'um... you know'. If you were calling someone a nigger, I'd fully expect them to wait for you after class... likewise if you called them a bastard or some other insult."

you racist son of a bitch!
    nigger is NOT an insult

10. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Have you ever read the book Nigger?
    It talks about the origins of the word and how it wasn't an insult to begin with. It became an insult.

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

And that's your opinion... but other people take it as an insult. Regardless of what it started out as, that's what it became.

Likewise most people would consider 'bastard' and insult... even if they technically are a bastard.

12. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

eh. its wierd because blacks seem to be the only group really that offended by racial slurs. i have friends that i call chink or kink or heeb or slope, sometimes even random people, but they really dont care. nigger is just the ultimate taboo. only blacks appear to be offended by it, but it'll probably take sometime, and after a while it will connotate nothing. But modern day blacks still act as if the whole "slavery" thing is still bringing them down. except its not. you dont see the jews complaining about the pogroms, the Holocaust, the whole Moses in the desert business. I just dont get it. and i like blacks, but i hate niggers. :m:

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

It's fairly stupid to be insulted by any of that family of insults.... call someone a nigger, bastard, chink, honkey, asshole, jackass... whatever....

You aren't being any more descriptive than 'I dont like you'. If you call someone a nigger you don't like them... being black is just a sidebar (in your and some others case).

That said, if all you are going to say is "I don't like you"... you might as well use a different word that won't label you a racist.

14. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

"Racism" is a witch-hunt.

15. CHRISCUNNINGHAM The Ethereal Paradigm Registered Senior Member

It's as simple as this folks,

The word nigger is bad(relative to sensitive minds), the word "nigga" is light-hearted. The reason that "nigger" is so offensive is due to enculturation and a repressed sense of inadequacy. If it were not taught at a young age that "we(black people, and yes I am one) are in our current substandard of living because they(white people) called us nigger; thus when you hear the word being used it helps perpetuate our current struggle, unless we use it with each other and therefore show that we have 'ownership' over the word." then this wouldn't be a problem. But in all cases enculturation leads to misconceptions, and misconceptions lead to silly conclusions, and silly conclusions lead to a mass idiocy, indefatigable and insurmountable.

It happens on both sides of the fence, there is no way to avoid it.

16. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

“ nigger is NOT an insult ”

And that's your opinion...

no it isnt, it is the deffinition of the word. some people have twisted nigger into being an insult, just as some people have turned pom into an insult

17. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

18. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

"The god-damn pom poming chearleaders..."

I guess like that

19. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

oh. i thought i was pom pon... :m:

20. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

21. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

In my home town some decades ago, there was a great football player called E.S. Brown who ended up with his name on one of the grandstands. So what, right?

The issue is that the printing on the grandstand reads The E.S. "Nigger" Brown Stand. It seems that this blond fair-haired boy was given that nickname at an early age (I guess due to his surname and as an opposite to his fair complexion). The bizarre thing, however, is that most people here seem to accept the difference between the concepts behind the word, and seem genuinely baffled that others could consider the word itself to be inherently offensive. To the point that this has progressed through the entire Australian court hierarchy, and all agreed that the word is not inherently offensive.

Personally, I don't care whether the word is "inherently offensive" or not - it's enough that a significant number of local and visiting people do consider it offensive, and that an obvious alternative ("The E.S. Brown Stand") is available that the name should be changed. The outcry against the alternative is that it would somehow dishonour the man's memory. Apparently even his gravestone bears his nickname.

What do you think? Am I living in a town/country full of bigots?

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

heh, in my geography lessons the teacher used the phrase "nigers live in africa" and pretty much everyone here also, especially the older generation.
    Chinese live in China, latinos in Latin America, nigers in Africa - that's the logic, with no intention to insult. And there is noone to insult here too. There maybe are about 20 black persons in the whole country.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

What are they doing there?