The Most Inspiring Speech Of My Lifetime!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Brutus1964, Jan 20, 2005.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

You can't be serious?!

There are literally dozens of tyrants and regimes throughout the world. Hell, America has even supported a number of them, including Saddam, and Afghan terrori... errm, I mean 'insurgents' during the Cold War. Thank God for double-speak!

How exactly are the Iraqi people 'free'?! Democracy does not = freedom (not that they have one yet, anyway). How is the right to indefinitely incarcerate 'suspected terrorists' freedom? How is the fact that anyone who looks 'suspicious' in Iraq can be placed in detention and tortured, as can their family?

If the Iraqi people were free, they would be able to choose their own system of government. What I see is political parties dropping out like flies.

The only thing the U.S has liberated the Iraqis of is their homes, and whatever small sense of security and stability they had when Saddam ruled.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thersites Registered Senior Member

But does he understand it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Undecided Banned Banned

I was watching the Daily Show last night and the count was 27 for freedom, and 15 for liberty. Words that been used so much they have become clichés. How can this president claim to stand from freedom when he is attempting to deny it to his own people through the Gay marriage amendment, the Patriot Acts, the 2000 election, etc. And internationally the man has no concept of freedom, the Iraqi ppl did not freely decide to let the US invade, the US supports these following dictatorships with money, arms, trade, and diplomatic support:

Saudi Arabia
    Kuwait
    Jordan
    Egypt
    Yemen
    Oman
    Pakistan
    Morocco
    Uzbekistan
    Turkmenistan (the new NK)
    Vietnam
    China
    Equatorial Guinea
    Angola

And there is probably more…are those ppl going to get a taste of that sweet nectar of “freedom”? You see to Bush freedom doesn’t exist in nations that aren’t on the US’ side; if you are on the US’s side you are free. Also let’s not forget that what Bush means by freedom is most likely those nations that give the US what it wants, oil, bases, or capital, the neo-liberal conception of freedom. This is exactly why the world is increasingly mocking the US, and looking to the EU and even China for guidance. The President says a lot but if you are so ignorant to believe what he is saying then no wonder you voted for him. I think the best example of what I am saying is Libya…why is the US getting rid of sanctions against Qadaffi if he still maintains his dictatorship? America wake up…stop being so sheeple-isitic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

One_Raven:
    Most Presidents don't.

8. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Democrats underestimate George W. Bush at thier own peril.

9. Undecided Banned Banned

And you overestimated him at America's peril...also just to add I think this presidentcy has given the Democrats the slap they desperately needed, and I think 2008 may be very interesting. If Bush screws Iraq even worse, and the economy the GOP will be the big loser in all this, and chances are Bush will.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Anything that can slap some sense into the democratic party can't be all bad. It has had a muliple personality disorder and a phobia of commitment for the last couple of decades.

11. -Bob- Insipid Fool Registered Senior Member

Can you mean something you don't understand?

Chew on that one for awhile.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

2006 will be an important year. If Democrats can win the house back, they can impeach King George II.

2008- what if Hillary runs? She is a centrist, and offers the possibility of our first female president.

13. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I can't wait till we go to liberate all the nations in the world. Too bad he'll be president only for so a short time. But think of it, the boy is so close to world domination! Allow him a few extra terms and the plan shall be achieved.

14. Spyke Registered Senior Member

They'd have to win back the Senate as well for an impeachment charge to be relevant, and they would have to have a huge turnover to boot. Republicans now hold 55 seats, and since you need a 2/3 'aye' vote of those present to win a conviction, the odds of that actually happening are slim and none unless you can figure out a way to prevent Republicans from being present. And if you did get a conviction, Dick Cheney would then officially be president. Why bother? Waste of tax dollars.

15. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

In the sense that too many (and let's not just criticize democrats, all anti-bush folk) fail too realize just how much support from a highly organized, efficient, merciless fundamentalest sect of "christianity" Bush has, and will use this to manipulate his power play for a corporate fascist state based upon the exploitation of worker and consumer alike.

16. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

It was third class, idiotic rhetoric. His "terrorists hate our freedom" garbage is so readily spurted out that it is absolutely valueless. It was poorly delivered because Bush can't read more than one line of the teleprompter at a time and can't tell what to stress. Lacked substance, lacked style.

17. Thersites Registered Senior Member

Religious people do when they say what they believe.

18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

if clinton made that speech i wolud have applauded too, because clinton did make the US a terrorist state, so his form of freedom woud be accomplishable without war

if the twin towers were bombed when clinton was in power(they wouldnt have been but this is hypothetical) i wolud have felt sorry for america

if clinton looked like a chimp i woludnt care, because he was a damn well trained one

however bush is evil, he is a modern day crusader, killing thousands in the name of his own god, while forgetting his own people in the process, he is the dictator of america, so he sould rule that country, not try to rule the world

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  19. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Hell no. Democracy??!!!! Freedom???!!! Bush Toppled a Democracy in Haiti and replaced it with a dictatorship that does not allow free speech.

I saw ex-President Carter on Charlie Rose and Carter does not believe that Bush wants to see a democracy in Iraq despite Bush's speech's about democracy.

Reading the PNAC documents I am not sure that the neoconservatives understand that "democracy" is a form of government rather than a synonym for neoliberalism. Rumsfeld and Cheney unlike Bush have long track records on foreign policy and their pasts show no inclination towards promoting freedom for third world peoples.

What I see is a battle between the RealPolitik of President Bush senior and the long time pros at the State Department and CIA verses a self-deluded crazy variant of RealPolitik that the NeoConservative Thinktank Gadflies are trying to sell and which George Bush Junior seems to have bought. Perhaps nobody told George Bush junior the his administration toppled a democracy in Haiti. Colin Powlell knew he told lies to the American people and the UN and Colin Powell didn't like that. I assume George Bush junior has been kept informed but maybe I am wrong and George believes what he says.

The strange thing is Bush's speech delivery doesn't feel honest to my Bs detector but it clearly feels honest to most Americans. Ignoring the fact that George Bush has been caught lying, just based solely on affect I would not be comfortable buying a used car from George Bush if he was a used car dealer. I know that Red state peoples BS detectors are as good as Blue state peoples BS detectors so I guess the reason you all can't see through Bush's garbage is that the lies he tells are making you all feel good and that good feeling is blinding you. Maybe on some level you all knew better than to buy that "they hate our freedom" explanation for why we were attacked, but you were all grateful to Bush for helping you to cling to the America as hero of the world myth. I don't need myths for me to love America.

I would love America even more if the rest of us would grow up and stop needing to feel special. We are a great country but our Foreign policy from the days of the Indian Wars through today has always been amoral, infatuated with power, and susceptible to being co-opted by special interests. The world really does need America's leadership but our need to feel special seems to be clouding our vision. We really are plenty special enough so please let us grow up and stop being fools for people like Bush.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the world does not need americas leadership, in fact if it wasnt for america the world wolud have more money, more food, little military, and a great scientific adwancement

21. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Without the leadership of the United States the world would be speaking German and celebrating 60 years of the 3rd Riche. The Soviet Union would still exist and communism could have not been opposed. If it were not for America's leadership slavery would have never been abolished. Saddam Hussein would have kept Kuwait and taken Saudi Arabia and now controlled most of the world's oil supply. If it was not for America's leadership and money the world would be much poorer, less food and less technologically advanced. America has saved the world time and time again.

22. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Stop with the "we saved your asses in WWII" shtick. We've changed a lot since then. The Iraq-Kuwait instance was not about freedom either. Kuwait to this day is a moarchy-dictatorship. Hardly democratic. It was about protecting our oil interests.

If it wasn't for America, I would have healthcare instead of having to decide between paying rent this month and affording a $150 perscription that I need. If it wasn't for America, we would be using alternative energy sources that don't pollute and destroy our only environment. If it wasn't for America, 700,000 people a year would not be arrested because of a fascist war on marijuana. In the last 50 years, America has fucked up again and again.

23. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

You're being sarcastic again, right? Bush is a worse flip-flopper than he accused Kerry of being.

To soccar moms he's pro AWB to the NRA he's anti AWB, to his religious base he's Pro anti-fag amendment, to the rest of America he's anti-anti-fag amendment. And don’t get me started on Iraq! He had WMD, ok no he didn't have WMD, We went into GET the WMD, eer no we went in because he had alqueda ties. . . er no, now it was because we wanted to bring freedom to Iraq! OH wait, yeah, no, really this time, the whole war was about freedom, seriously! I'll be lucky if I can make it out of these next 4 years without getting whiplash! I can't tell if we're fighting Eurasia or East Asia at this point, it's nuts!

Frankly I have trouble beleiving that Bush actualy stands firmly on any issue other than that he thinks he's never wrong and is always consistant, that one hasn't seemed to change, but at least it lets us keep laughing!