The most frequently used word in songs?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by dixonmassey, Sep 3, 2004.

1. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

What is the most frequently used word in English language songs? Recently, I have listened internet broadcast for quite a stretch of uninterrupted time. I've gotten an impression that singers are obsessed with a word "tonight". It's by far the most frequently used word. Singer's obsession with this word is simply unhealthy. Old good grandpa Freud could have analyzed the generalized unconscious mind of singers causing such an obsession. However, I cannot. What are your takes on the origin of the tonight's popularity among thaumaturges of pop culture? Or, you may have another choice of the most frequently used word? Let's write an "average" pop song using the most frequently used words.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I. nuff said. Much more used lolz

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

It's either "I" or "you." Once you start paying attention to that, and to what that means, lyrics get so boring.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

I, You, a, and, to, me, we .... are the obvious favorites. I should have put my question like "what is the most frequently used (4 letters and up) word in songs?"

general framework of the most average English language song is starting to appear:

You and me tonight
    Me and you tonight
    I....you tonight
    Tonight we....
    Tonight you...

8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Considering the current state of music I would suggest that "fuck" might be the most common word.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Love", "baby", "bitch" and other simularly vomit-inducing words are probably up there.

Dreamwalker: So we have:

"You and me tonight
    Me and you tonight
    I....you tonight
    Tonight we....
    Tonight you...
    Fuck"

10. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

fuck, bitch,.... are generally deleted/blipped when song is being broadcasted. I think "want" is more frequent than "love" these days.

We are getting a list of the legit words: love, want, tonight, I, you, me, baby......

Rough translation of the Russian short rhyme came to my mind:

Why do you need to love, why do you need to suffer if a bed is always at the end.

11. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

That would be the obvious outcome, yes.

I live in Germany, we are no such pansies, there are no deleted words in the songs broadcasted here.

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

Internet radio in the 'States doesn't delete words, nor does Canadian radio (to my knowledge). The times I listen to regular 'States radio, I notice that a fair amount of cursing gets past the censors. At least - I can tell what they're saying.

Good point about "want".

It's not really a word, but "oh yeah", "uh huh" and variations thereof should be included in the list.

13. melodicbard Registered Senior Member

I wonder if "wanna" appears more often than "want" in pop music.

14. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

In Canada, it depends on the station. Some stations (Mostly in the city where there are hundreds) don't censor at all, whereas most "mix" stations that seem to be more event and family oriented delete swearing.

I think that "you", "me" and "I" are probablt most commonly used. Most music now is lame love songs... music sucks nowadays.

15. Roman Banned Banned

"she" or "you" is the most common pronoun in U2 songs. Go figure.

16. eincloud Banned Banned

you and fuck
    sad isn't it

17. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

=_i would say " " or it's sysitific name is space ^^^

18. Facial Valued Senior Member

'you' and 'I'.

19. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

The words "all" and "no" are common, I think.

As to four letters and more, I should say "more," "would," "time," "said," "away," "think," and "long" are all predominant.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

in rap:
    "yo" "sup" and a sort of "bweeuuw" sound that they seem to like making

as for my type of music:
    "fuck"
    "you"
    "fuck"
    "fuck"
    and lots af random screaming

21. kSushi Registered Senior Member

also "shake"

22. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

23. kSushi Registered Senior Member

If there was a chart, I'd give number 1 to "BABY". I think it's everywhere. Well.... at least in pop-songs in boy-bands.

I don't think we should count "me", "you", "I", etc. cuz it's obvious. The songs are reflections of what the song-writer was thinking about, and thoughts are usually about oneself. In the same fashion we could also say that articles "a" and "the" are the most popular.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!