The Mormon Jesus vs. The Gospel Jesus?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Carcano, Dec 7, 2007.

1. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Yet cult it is, along with the other Christian cults.

The one thing I notice about Christianity is that its members easily refer to other groups as cults, but take offense to their own group being called cult. This is ironic, since a cult is any system of religious worship directed at a single object or deity.

But the magical underwear link didn't demonstrate the "fact" of the Mormon cult. Is there some information or evidence you can provide that explains the "fact" of Mormonism?

Is it enough to say that "it's a fact that millions of people are deluded by the Mormon cult?"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marlin Registered Senior Member

A word is defined by its usage. You can be sure that when fundamentalist and evangelical Christians use the word "cult" to describe Mormonism, they *don't* mean that it's simply a "system of religious worship." They want the most negative connotation imagineable. I take offense to the term, myself, and if you continue to use it to describe my religion, I'll stop conversing with you.

Take the missionary discussions if you really want to know more about Mormonism. The missionaries are in the phone book under "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Marlin: All 'religions' were cults once upon a time. They had very few followers outside the mainstream. Simply because cults get successful is when they are no longer called a cult, but their roots will always be as such. It's simply semantics.

Mormonism and Scientology are two of the most ridiculous 'religions' (aka cults) around. And that is REALLY saying something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

To the outsider, any religious group is a cult.

8. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Like I said, though: the actual usage of a word defines that word, not just one aspect of its dictionary definition. When Jim Fundamentalist calls Mormonism a "cult," he isn't saying that Mormonism resembles his religion when it began. He isn't calling it a "system of religious worship." He wants you to believe that it is a dangerous mind-control satanic organization that will destroy you and send you to hell forever. Semantics? More like a not-so-subtle redefinition of an emotionally-charged hate word used in order to engender fear and hatred of its object.

You're saying that out of ignorance and misinformation. Mormonism is true Christianity, with Jesus Christ as its center and exemplar. Want to know the very heart of Mormonism? Here are the two great commandments that Mormons strive to follow:

1. Love God with all your might, mind, and strength.
    2. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Upon these two commandments rests the entirety of Latter-day Saint religion. Not so controversial, is it? It revolves around Christ, and all other teachings are just appendages to that divine Center of worship.

Our enemies try to take the focus away from this true design of our religion, to emulate Christ and serve our fellow man. But those two commandments, echoed in other Christian denominations, are what we're all about.

9. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Revolves around Christ? Like I said: cult worship.

10. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I am? I thought everyone knew exactly how Mormonism got started. At least Scientology has a cool sci-fi story. Christianity (although obviously false) is somewhat well planned and intelligent for something that is almost 2,000 years old. Mormonism is the most retarded popular religion on the planet. But I guess that's what happens when the 'prophet' is a retard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You seem to be trying to equate it to Christianity out of desperation.

Watch this if you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WbB9FgazJk

It's funny because it's true.

11. know? facts? you mean you believe they are true, minus contrary evidence, because you want to believe, please let me shake a few mormon trees & see what falls out?

DNA
    linguistics
    art
    technology
    ruins
    archeology
    anthroplogy
    zoology
    botany

& I just thought of another one today, shipbuilding & seafaring skills, if these BoM people built boats or ships to get here, they would have built them to go back to do pilgrimage to Jerusalem. until 1947, many Jews ended many prayers with, "next year in Jerusalem", why would Lamite, Jarite, Nabhobite & Mulite peoples be different?

& mormoms have resorted to being "history thieves" by sending mormon tourists down to the Mayan ruins & saying that those were "Mormon", for shame, for shame

thieves liars

http://www.liahonaguidedtours.com/

btw, we just missed this one

"book of mormon tours" gets 68K hits on google, seems there's lots of interest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  12. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Ah, the old "South Park conveys accurate history" trick, LOL.

People are free to say what they will, using degenerate cartoons, chanting tired litanies of "archeology, anthropology, linguistics, etc.", citing non-LDS-approved tours, whatever. You may even convince some people not to believe in true Christianity. That will be what you'll have to explain to God when He asks you how you treated His good word at the final judgment.

I know in my heart, despite not having a perfect knowledge or being a perfect person (far from it!), that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith was a true prophet, and most importantly, that Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of the world. No one can take these testimonies away from me. God has revealed it to me in a way that no one can ever refute.

I bear these testimonies in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Peace out.

13. will any of these sites show me where to find a Niaphite village or city? or explain how 3 successive continent-wide long-lasting empires left no evidence of their passing? the puny Roman Empire only left a few aqueducts, theaters, baths, statues & some puny cities, you know, like London, Bath in puny England; Paris, Arles in puny France; the rest are really puny; in Croatia, Romania, Spain, Hungary, Montenegro, etc..., you know, an occasional stone, coin here & there, & that puny township, I think it's called Rome?

I'm not asking for much, you know, nothing fancy, like maybe a little city or a mass grave of those thousands of Nephites, Jarites & Mulklites that died in those epic battles at Hill Cumorah?

any help here?

& what pray tell, theology do you follow from the BoM? it refutes LDS belief, early or reformed

the only reason that LDS adheres to the BoM is, if they ever refute it, J. Smith's claim to fame will have been disowned by his very followers, hence, must defend this religio-fantasy, work, even though LDS beliefs are more in tune with sci-fi, Kolob anyone?

does His blood wash you of your sins? or to quote Martin Luther;
    so are you Pauline or Joline?

and what chanting goes on in your head? "must not listen, defend, counter-thrust, burning bosom, testimony, must not listen, etc..."

LDS is true polytheism, not Christianity, Jesus will deal with me as He may, under His rules, He knows that His words will last forever, not mine or yours, the Bible is the only true testament of Jesus, God's instructions, our treasure

the BoM is another testament of error, goes with the BoA, secret,pssst, let me tell you a secret, Joesph Smith was a conman, he didn't know Egyptian, reformed or othwerwise, don't tell anyone, wink, wink

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  14. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Just as they did with Scientology, the satire did not come from embellishing anything, but showing exactly what Mormons believe and how Joseph Smith created the religion.

What parts of the depiction was wrong?

Knowing it in your heart, and claims that god revealed does not impress. Many people say similar things and are proven liars.

Using my brain (not my heart), I am telling you for a fact that Joseph Smith is a liar. It took a woman to prove this by telling Martin Harris to test his so-called prophetic friends abilities.

Oh Don't be so melodramatic...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  15. poor kid, you just failed the first test of mormon godhood, guess you have to make due with just telestial heaven, poor fella

what part? I must of missed it, seems more like a novel to me, they're called "alternate history" now a days

really & what did he prophesize about? did any come true? no, not even one? must be a false prophet, he failed the "Deuteronomy 18" test
    which states:
    2 unfulfilled prophecies
    this is the only truth you have written about so far

how can God reveal what isn't true? is your god confused?
    I'd rather remind you now, than have Jesus remind you later, take heed of this!
    peace

16. the problem for mormons is that LDS was created within a literate society, within the last 200 years, it is a historic religion in the full sense of the word, because it has a "history"; with writings, diaries, newspaper accounts, subpoenas, court records, legislation, & several printed editions of the BoM, that are different, edited, as the LDS hierarchy tries to clean out its closet, from a book that is decidedly not the most 'perfect book' ever written, but still stay within boundaries so as not to destroy J. Smith's 'prophet' status

it might have been more devastating if, they had 2 stops & rewinds (sort of like the déjà vu sequence in "Matrix"), where J. Smith restarts his stories about how he was told about the plates & how many divinities where at that first vision.

seems even though he claimed to be there, his stories over time didn't match.
    which I think is the way lies are discovered, truth is unchanging, lies get tweaked a little over time

forged: the White Salamander letter
    hint: if you are unsure of what materials are out there that might discredit your religion’s foundation, why you buy it in order to conceal it. Both the RLDS & LDS hierarchies should have known that the “White Salamander Letter” was forged, but since they didn’t know if their prolific founder had, like you know, made up stories as he went along, hey! You buy & hide it in the closet, so that hopefully, it stays hidden, quiet, mums the word

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  17. Myles Registered Senior Member

Love your neighbour as yourself. At one point , if you were a man you could love four female neighbors. Why the change. Did the angels update the book ?

18. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

To be honest with you I think they are no more ridiculous than all the other cults currently being sold on a doorstep near you. Why pick on scientology when christianity is equally stupid? They will never provide a decent argument as to why their beliefs are more worthy, but people in general seem to give them some credibility by default merely because there's lots of them and they've been here a long time. I submit that they are on par with all other cults. If they want recognition as being anything of worth they need to put the effort in. (No fools, creationism is not effort).

19. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Why not read it for yourself?

Free Book of Mormon

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

Make it easy for me. Give me your answer

21. Marlin Registered Senior Member

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

I read your document but , as I expected, it contains the usual stuff about the "Lord" teling people what to do. Other Christians will tell me that they are right because the " Lord" has told them otherise. The Lord sure creates a lot of confusion in the minds of men.

Thanks anyway

23. Marlin Registered Senior Member

If one person's beliefs are mistaken, does it logically follow that all people's beliefs are mistaken? If one person says "The Lord told me that the world is flat" and another person says "The Lord told me that the world is round," are both of them necessarily wrong? Can one person be mistaken and another know the truth, or does one mistaken belief mean that all beliefs are equally mistaken?