The Miracles of Father Nacho

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Leo Volont, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

I once met a strange and funny Priest. Many of the Parishioners didn’t like this guy. He was a bit abrasive. I once wanted to confess, and he asked about ‘what’, so I told him, and he told me it wasn’t important. I didn’t much like that—Hey! If I think it’s a sin, then it’s a sin! I could see how this priest could get on people’s nerves.

But then I had this strange experience with him. Although he was an old guy, he was a new Priest in the Parish and so he got the dirtiest job – the job that New Priests in a Parish always get – he was the Priest that had to go to the Hospitals in the middle of the night to give the Last Rites. This also made him the Priest in charge of the “healing sacraments”. Well, I got the flu. I was sick as a dog, but everyone knows that in late afternoon, no matter how sick you are, you get a little bit of a remission. So I jumped in the car and drove to the Church and looked around and found Father Nacho and asked him to cure me. He looked at me funny like I was joking, but I told him that I knew for a fact that it was his Job to do the healing, so “heal me!” So he said a quick blessing, and I went home. I felt better almost instantly but figured it was the accident of an afternoon remission, which often happens during a fever. But the fever never came back. Everyone else in Town was sick for two weeks, while I whistled a happy tune and had a spring in my step.

The next time I was in the Parish Office everyone was dumping on Father Nacho, with him standing right there. I said “Wait a minute!” and ripped into everybody how, obnoxious or not, Father Nacho was the Real Thing! A few minutes later Father Nacho signaled me to the door and we went outside for a talk. He told me this strange story. That when he first got the job of healing and giving Last Rites he would go to the hospitals, and since they always called him much too late, he would give last rites to the corpses. The startling thing is that they would come back to life. Of course, this would create havoc as the doctors and the nurses would have to get the crash carts and take the ‘corpses’ to intensive care. And every time they would just soon drop back into death. It happened again and again and again. The doctors and nurses were beginning to dread the death of any Catholic – they simply did not stay dead after Father Nacho would show up. Finally the doctors asked Father Nacho if he could give Last Rites without bringing them back to life. He said, “I guess so”. And from then on the dead bodies stayed dead.

So when I had confronted him that one day and asked to be cured, he wondered whether he would be able to cure me, since he had seemed to have renounced the ‘gift’, so to speak. He told me that he was very happy that he still had the “knack”! True story!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I must say I am skeptical of Father Nacho's powers of resurrection. Is there any independent evidence?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

Now consider...... why would I ask for evidence? I saw the story unfurl before me. I believed it. I was the guy who was healed, remember?

Those who experience Miracles don't behave like Skeptics, because, DUH, they aren't skeptics anymore. I hope someday you understand.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zero Banned Banned

Well, nacho chips do have this property of rejuvenating lost strength ...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Aah, the power of cheese.
    (Probably a phrase copyrighted by some idiotic company. Someone refresh my memory here.)

8. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

I believe his actual name was 'Enocio'. I wonder that it isn't considered disrespectful to use the same name for a Priest as for a Cheesy Treat, but this was in the American Southwest and was fairly easygoing.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Fine. By why go telling other people the story? Are they supposed to be convinced it is true just because you say it is?

You might as well keep it to yourself if this is the best you can offer.

10. Bells Staff Member

You had the flu. The flu Leo.

You weren't healed by anyone. The bug had probably run its course by the time you got to the church. He probably looked a you funny because he realises that you're insane. And the story he told you about him bringing people back from the dead? It's probably just that. A story. He probably got a bigger laugh at the fact that you actually believed him.

Why ask for evidence? The fact that you can even ask that question shows that the mental institute should not let you use the internet anymore.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It was probably just a cold. Most people don't know what the flu is. Influenza is a killer.

12. fahrenheit 451 fiction Registered Senior Member

I have nothing more to say than, WOW!, here we go again.

13. Bells Staff Member

I don't know about you guys, but I don't know whether to be saddened or amused by the fact that he had the flu and went to church to ask a priest to heal him.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

When someone has such strong blind convictions such as Leo then we should not be surprised at such transparently humorous apocryphal stories. When the claimant operates in a vacuum absent of logic and evidence then the result is, as we see, incredulous.

We must also remember that such gullible people need to convince others that they have not been misguided or are simply feeble minded, and will go to great lengths to support their claims. This leads to inevitable denial of what is more likely or obvious mundane truths.

The stories that revolve around subjective health matters tend to over exaggerate the severity before the claimed miracles and of course exaggerate in reverse after the event. Although of course the effects are often quite real, to a very limited extent, but that is simply the psychology of the placebo effect again. What becomes a severe pain that is really only mild, after the event becomes a very mild pain, when in reality the pain has not changed. It is only the subjective opinions of the claimant that change.

What would have been nice about this story would have been some documented evidence of brain death and evidence of full revival. But of course proofs are never available for the religious since that would seriously detract from the overwhelming need for faith – the cornerstone of religious bunkum such as this.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Leo,

I would like to verify the claim of multiple ressurection. May I have the
    full name of father Nacho, the full name and phone number of the hospital
    he worked at, and the date range for which ressurection was performed?

If explicit dates, the names of doctors, or any other specifics could be
    provided then that would be great.

Thanks.

16. Q25 Registered Senior Member

[sarcasm]
    halelujah brother praise the Lawd!
    its the POWER of JESUS[/sarcasm]

I have a sugestion,next time you or any other religious person get sick,or hurt ,
    forget about hospitals and send the ambulance straight to the church

we'll see how long the religions and its followers will last

believers and their prayers,it bogless the mind

www.rr-bb.com/

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Leo,

It is not father Nacho who was doing the miracles - it was God doing it through him. If you say that father Nacho was doing it, you are taking the power away from God and glorifying a man. That is wrong, as you can probably tell (I hope).

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: In Leo's case, the power of suggestion is self-inflicted.

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

*BUMP* Leo?

20. Bells Staff Member

Psst crunchy... Leo never replies to questions that he knows the answers will prove him wrong or idiotic. He's like a politician dodging any questions that show how they aren't 'all there'.

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Either that or he forgot to pay his internet bill. Maybe god will pick up
    the tab.

22. Bells Staff Member

Or he's gone to Father Nacho to heal his bill and bring it back from the dead.

23. philocrazy Banned Banned

bells
    you have a nice ass
    gee man are you a woman
    tight ass and all, you really got the bells man!!i tell you

Philosopher Philocrazy