The mind's eye

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by James R, Apr 13, 2018.

?

Read the opening post then select an answer to the poll.

1. A

2. B

3. C

4. D

5. E

6. I don't want to participate in the poll. Just show me the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

As a participant - last night dream I am holding down a person of interest when I notice something else which required attention. Calling out, assistance arrived, and we both held down the POI while I explained what I had seen and what Hello needed

Funny we were now in the back seat of a car holding the head of the POI under a stack of rubbish

The person who had come to help - I considered him a co-worker - was saying to the POI "You will find a button under the rubbish, when you are willing to stop struggling press the button 3 times"

Later we found out that car had not been fitted with the button

Lots more but enough for now I need coffee

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

I am at the center of my dreams. My person is the actor, always. There is little difference between my conscious life, and my dream life. That's a problem for me, because I have so many false memories in my conscious life, and I have to say they (the false memories) are often the result of the things I've seen on TV, or read that I in turn dream about or fantasize about in daydreams. When I watch an event I might get totally into it, and (usually much) later think that I was actually part it, while the truth is it was a movie or a story in a book. The more I assimilate and empathize with the idea the stronger the memory. It's sometimes difficult for me to separate the real from the imagined. I suppose aging has something to do with it. The fewer experiences one has (or the younger one is) the easier it is to say with confidence which memories are real, and which are imagined. The upside is storytelling. It's easy for me to imagine and write or tell a story, write a lyric, or even do research as a result of a large collection of information.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think, as others have pointed out, that the wording of this scenario has a lot to do with the responses that you are getting (obviously) and I don't think the responses tell you as much as you (may be) reading into them.

If you tell me that I am at the beach then that's option A. If you just said imagine a beach it would be option D. I don't usually insert myself into a scene that I'm imagining. It's definitely not option B, I don't view myself from a distance.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Goldtop Registered Senior Member

I answered (C). My 'minds eye' is a combination of both (A) amd (B) which seems to flash back and forth depending on the scene and if I'm part of it or not. I'll see the people and things I'm interacting with as if seeing through my own eyes and then see me interacting with them, often from above.

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

D.
    i can picture myself from where i was while standing on the beach, or any other position i think of(depending on quality of memory & recal for specific things). then move it around in a 3d sense to get an idea of how to build the picture up to form what is mentioned.
    i can swap out people and things as required and then associate different emotional responses to those changes if required.
    i can also change what i picture subject to my association to what i might be percieving and what bias i may have.
    all depending on how i feel at the time.

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

From what I recall from my dream last night, it was all first person. I know what I look like anyway.

I see you watch me
    You are dressed flamboyantly
    Makes me feel eerie

Now, if I was imagining I was someone else...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Anil Seth explained the mind's eye with just a few words as the creative organ which produces a fleeting immersive experience.

But in addition goes beyond and explores how the mind actually processes external information. The mind has no eye at all, it is a translator of electrochemical signals and then makes a best guess of what is "out there".

The mind forms a picture and then uses the eyes to confirm what it believes the information is telling it.
    IOW. we create our subjective reality as much from the "inside out" as from the "outside in".
    https://www.ted.com/talks/anil_seth_how_your_brain_hallucinates_your_conscious_reality

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I visualized the objects as you described them, more like looking at pictures. Looking through my eyes, the center focus is detailed, whereas everything outside that focal point is blurry. In my mind's eye, the whole image is in focus, like when you hold a photo in front of you.

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I liked going to the beach now take us somewhere else and put in some food.

Alex