The irrelevance of God

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Magical Realist, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

God is worse than just non-existent. He is irrelevant. Inconsequential. Superfluous. An absolute triviality. Not only does his possible existence NOT explain anything, but it creates more problems than his nonexistence. Cuz if there IS a God then where the hell is he? Millenia of storybook accounts of God speaking to ancient prophets and gurus. Burning bushes. Quaking mountains. And starlit mangers. Yet never insomuch as one REAL public appearance of said being to the human race.

In the meantime we have a vast universe rolling right along with no apparent aim or purpose whatsoever. People now bravely living their lives in the light of what science has discovered. And still, not one peep from the proverbial golden throneroom. Isn't it nice that myths and delusions, instead of having to be disproven, just sort of fade away over time into an abyss of permanent obsolescence.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

It my be so for you but for billions is very relevant. You are so smart that your wisdom is only XX/billions

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hansda Valued Senior Member

Here, what is your definition of the term "God"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

For most those people God has about the same relevance as a lucky shirt or magic charm. Something to mount on your dashboard as you run around in the secular world attending to secular business. I used to have a shrunken head on MY dashboard. That's where old totems go when they die. God as emblem or mascot. "Yea! Go home team!" zzzzz...

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Of whom is this shrunken head?

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

GOD! lol!

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

12. hansda Valued Senior Member

That is just a faith based definition of "God", for people who have faith in "God". Since you don't have faith in "God"(just my guess), so why you are considering that definition. That definition will not work for you but that definition will work for the people who have faith in that definition. Its a typical nature of our mind. Our mind works on faith. Thats the power of faith, which can control our mind. I guess, you know the 'power of mind'.

13. Son Banned Banned

I found the OP to be rather juvenile and ignorant. God has appeared to people of old. You just don't know how to tap into it. Be careful how you speak about God. I have knowledge of God and it cannot be defeated as it is absolute. Be careful, show love for God and He may appear to you one day. For now, you have to rely on revelation.

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

This is a novel thread. Subtle as well

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Faith as mind control? Yes..I would agree with that. Faith as the undermining of reason as the source of truth. Faith as the unquestioning acceptance of authority over evidence. Faith--the numb resignation to believing what you were told without the real conviction earned thru thinking it thru for yourself.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's funny how believers must fabricate claims that are obviously false, but are compelled to do especially when the stark contrast of reality is placed firmly in front of them.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Translation: "Be careful how you speak about my belief in God. I..er..I mean "God"..will not tolerate doubt or questioning speech."

18. Son Banned Banned

All I know is God is real, great and beautiful and none of these truths will be swayed.

19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Is the purpose of this thread to pick a fight?

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Thank you. We'll see how it goes once the theists start trying to derail it with distractions and red herrings.

21. arauca Banned Banned

Reality; How real was it to send message without wire before Marconi time ? I am sure you would be one of the screaming it is impossible

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, that is simply what you've been indoctrinated to believe.

23. hansda Valued Senior Member

Do you know, how 'placebo effect' works? It is a very good medicine. It cures. It heals. Is it Science or Faith?