The Inadequacy of Atheism

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Oct 24, 2006.

1. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

isnt majority of the world RELIGIOUS?
    why would an atheist who knows we only have this life and this planet to live on destroy their own home?
    Id think the religious with their haven/afterlife belief,would be less concerned with air.water polution,global warming and such mainly b/c they think they'll be in haven later laughing at those drowning in shyt here on earth.
    anyways thats what some of them say.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Light Gigantic:

Does not dharma translate to "moral order"? Are you then claiming that Atheists are incapable of acting morally?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Therefore the root cause is Atheism?
    No, this makes no sense.

Actually rereading the whole thing again - it’s a typical type II error – stuff like a Monks celibacy is linked with poor weather – which is obvious to even a blind man riding by on a bus, idiotic. Poor weather is the main culprit add to that a badly informed society where Cast and blood lineage is revered over that of natural ability and personal talent and you can ensure that there is some fool ruling the masses with little care about their well being and hence a poor safety net when naturally occurring draught does occur (probably nice castles and palaces though).

Conclusion:
    - Faulty reasoning leads to a type II error.
    - Cast system leads to poor Leaders based on blood line not ability.
    - Years of disconnect with the commoner clouds Leaders judgment on providing in times of draught (as these louts are usually waited on hand and foot and provided for at the expense of the masses)

Solution:
    A sensible democratic Atheistic society with investment of time and resources into R&D to protect the environment during times of drought instead of wasting society’s resources worshipping fairy creatures.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well - in short just a few things people have missed

- the statement refers to monks breaking vows of celibacy - so since monks tend to be religious the verse is refering to more than mere institutional stamps of religion - so all the talk of 80% of the world being theistic and other stats doesn't mean much unless you can also verify the quality of such practices

- The present age, kali yuga, is just beginning - we are less than 1.5% into the new kali yuga

- dharma is a word that doesn't translate easily into english - basically it means the irreducable or essential quality of something (so the dharma of water is wetness, because such a quality merely becomes dormant when it undergoes such extreme transformations as freezing or pressurizing) - dharma cannot be an artificial imposition - so the dharma of human beings is religiousity (comes from Latin religio(n-) obligation, bond, reverence, or perhaps based on Latin religare - to connect.) - in otherwords acting in a way fully conscious and connecting to the nature of superior maintenance in this universe is religion and acting according to one's limited reasoning of happiness and distress in accordance with one's bodily designation is atheism - in this way one can determine atheism existence even in the guise of theism

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

No - I had to do a google search to even understand what you were talking about

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How about this:
    Cultivating full consciousness and connecting to nature's superior maintenance is spirituality.

10. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Atheism is not inadiquate! What is inadiquate is belief in some diety of which you have no proof of, what is abnormal is the amount of gods there has been in human history, how do you posibly know that your god is the right one? How do you not call yourself "atheist" to all the other gods that have been created. BTW Christians were once called "atheists" for not believing in Roman gods!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Michael

so in other words you advocate that there is no universal reaction to our activities? In otherwords as long as you appear to be correct and virtuous you get the exact same results as a person who is correct and virtuous

actually you can not find a scriptural quote anywhere of caste being determined by janma (birth) - you can find numerous quotes that say it is determined by guna (qualities) and karma (activities) though - determining caste by birth is another aspect of atheism (acting in disaccordance with the universe, in this case evidenced by scriptures) - perhaps you don't recognize it because it is in the guise of theism - atheism is more widespread than you credit - I don't know if that is a cause of happiness or grief for you

I can't see how this remark can be isolated to a historical era - it still seems relevant and an accurate description of the reins of power at the moment, even though theistically we have plummeted as a society

Unfortunately the advancement of science is not governed by the immediate needs of people

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - einstein

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

perhaps they were called atheists by foolish people -

to answer in brief - its common for one who is totally bereft of seeing the essential qualities of any given field to get snagged up on details

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

yes - that is a fine general definition - the next q's are how do you qualify such cultivation and connection ( in other words how do you determine the absence or presence of full consciousness and connectivity to nature)

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

These foolish people, built empires, Christianity historically destroyed them, Rome fell when the idiot Agustine made christianity the religion of the state, these sob's killed anyone who opposed them, they were called atheist's for not believing in gods of another society! Not because they were foolish!

Victims of the Christian Faith
    http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

Read a little history lightee!

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless
    sounds like you are describing economic development (artha) rather than religion (dharma) - religiousity in pursuit of economic development (artha) sense gratification (kama) and even liberation (moksha) is not proper dharma - they are aspects of atheism that have a tendency to appear in theism

16. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Well indeed if you study religion, it has always been about power, economic & political! There has never been in place a religion that did not lust for power, non of the Abrahamics one at least that I know of, perhaps some Budhism, or Taoism do not follow the same path, but literally all Abrahamic religions have been a quest for power political & economically!

Read on! study, and soon you'll get your head out of your rectum!

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Good question. Mine is why would you want to? It's probably a matter of degree. How would you quantify beauty?

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless

but has it always been about the cultivation of these things?

Putting aside, once again, your relentless tendency to ad hom, why don't you tell us what scriptures and scriptural comentaries you have read so we know what bodies of work you are familiar with.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

It is very difficult to qualify these things unless you have an eternal reference point - this is the value of connectivity .... in the absence of which one is connected to one's bodily designation which translates as a medium for contention and disagreement (particularly in the association of a billion other similarly unconnected persons)

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Yet another claim by religious zealots that atheists are amoral/immoral (take your pick) and without true joy. We have no Hand to guide us, therefore we are lost in eternal darkness. As usual, no evidence to support the claim is offered. Is the onus now upon atheists to provide evidence to the contrary, or would anyone like to take a stab at proving the opening assertions. Preferably using real-world evidence, and without recourse to dogma.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

thatsthewayitgoes

22. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Yes!

Oh! hell don't take the ad hom's literally! just been to used to getting frustrations out in here, I get them too so I dish them out, I don't take them literal, "once I did" but I've learned to live with it. But in your case, I'm begining to like you lol!! really! so determined, reminds me of SouthStar.

I read the bible kjv, I read the LDS bible, amongs others. My first indoctrination as a child, Catholic then christian teenager, babtist late teens early twenties, I chose atheism at the ripe old age of 21. I've been an atheist for lots longer than most kids here have lived, nothing new under the sun, always the same old rheoric. You are just one more in a long list here who have tried, to convince people that "your" god is real!

You won't learn anything about the history of the church by reading their bibles, their is no refference there about; wich burnings, killing heretics, and all of those whom the clergy of the time deemed as evil, possessed by "satan" or any other crap that they seem improper in each historical time. The real history is by reading history it'self. Why the hell did the Pilgrim come to America? to get away from religious prosecution, do you think that was something new? It has always been about power!! political & economically untill today just open your eyes and your senses you'll see it!

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

actually you might be delighted (or distressed??) to read a bit more closely and see the wider qualities of atheism and how it is more prevalent than mere acceptance or rejection of religious instituitions or lip service to scriptures